Evolving Networks of Inventors
In this paper a model for the formation of strategic alliances is studied. Innovation results from the recombination of knowledge held by the partners to the collaboration, and from the history of their collaboration. Innovation brings partners closer together, while at the same time the repetition of partnerships fosters trust and helps improving the outcome of each round of cooperation. A tension exists between innovating with people I know in order to reduce uncertainty at the expense of the net benefit fromour joint effort, and innovating with strangers with whom the outcome of joint innovation can be greater but at a larger risk of failure. This “organized proximity”, built through the experience of cooperation, can be at the origin of strongly structured networks of innovation, where agents’ relations focus on limited cliques of partners. (JEL Classification: L14, Z13, O3, Keywords: Networks, Innovation, Network Formation, Knowledge)
|Date of creation:||2004|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (31) (0)43 3883875
Fax: (31) (0)43 3216518
Web page: http://www.maastrichtuniversity.nl/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Goyal, Sanjeev & Joshi, Sumit, 2003.
"Networks of collaboration in oligopoly,"
Games and Economic Behavior,
Elsevier, vol. 43(1), pages 57-85, April.
- Goyal, S. & Joshi, S., 2000. "Networks of Collaboration in Oligopoly," Econometric Institute Research Papers EI 9952-/A, Erasmus University Rotterdam, Erasmus School of Economics (ESE), Econometric Institute.
- Sumit Joshi, 2000. "Networks of Collaboration in Oligopoly," Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers 0623, Econometric Society.
- Cowan Robin & Jonard Nicolas & Zimmermann J-B, 2004. "Networks as Emergent Structures from Bilateral Collaboration," Research Memorandum 017, Maastricht University, Maastricht Economic Research Institute on Innovation and Technology (MERIT).
- Cowan Robin & Jonard Nicolas & Zimmermann J-B, 2004. "On the creation of networks and knowledge," Research Memorandum 010, Maastricht University, Maastricht Economic Research Institute on Innovation and Technology (MERIT).
- Peretto, P. & Smulders, J.A., 2002.
"Technological distance, growth and scale effects,"
Other publications TiSEM
bdce08a7-4ad9-4427-a99e-f, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Plouraboue, F. & Steyer, A. & Zimmermann, J.B., 1996.
"Learning Induced Criticality in Consumers' Adoption Pattern: A Neural Network Approach,"
96a28, Universite Aix-Marseille III.
- Franck Plouraboue & Alexandre Steyer & Jean-Benoit Zimmermann, 1998. "Learing Induced Criticality In Consumers' Adoption Pattern: A Neural Network Approach," Economics of Innovation and New Technology, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 6(1), pages 73-90.
- Nooteboom, B., 2005.
"Learning and Governance in Inter-Firm Relations,"
2005-38, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Nooteboom, B., 2004. "Learning and governance in inter-firm relations," Other publications TiSEM 322bac2a-7a66-40a5-8dc5-f, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Nooteboom, B., 2001. "Learning and Governance in Inter-Firm Relations," ERIM Report Series Research in Management ERS-2001-71-ORG, Erasmus Research Institute of Management (ERIM), ERIM is the joint research institute of the Rotterdam School of Management, Erasmus University and the Erasmus School of Economics (ESE) at Erasmus University Rotterdam.
- Nooteboom, B., 2004. "Learning And Governance In Inter-Firm Relations," ERIM Report Series Research in Management ERS-2004-003-ORG, Erasmus Research Institute of Management (ERIM), ERIM is the joint research institute of the Rotterdam School of Management, Erasmus University and the Erasmus School of Economics (ESE) at Erasmus University Rotterdam.
- Granstrand, Ove & Sjolander, Soren, 1990. "Managing innovation in multi-technology corporations," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 19(1), pages 35-60, February.
- Joel A. C. Baum & Andrew V. Shipilov & Tim J. Rowley, 2003. "Where do small worlds come from?," Industrial and Corporate Change, Oxford University Press, vol. 12(4), pages 697-725, August.
- Adonis Yatchew, 1998. "Nonparametric Regression Techniques in Economics," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 36(2), pages 669-721, June.
- Weisbuch, Gerard & Alan Kirman & Dorothea K. Herreiner, 1996.
Discussion Paper Serie B
391, University of Bonn, Germany.
- Klos, Tomas B. & Nooteboom, Bart, 2001. "Agent-based computational transaction cost economics," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 25(3-4), pages 503-526, March.
- Erev, Ido & Roth, Alvin E, 1998. "Predicting How People Play Games: Reinforcement Learning in Experimental Games with Unique, Mixed Strategy Equilibria," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 88(4), pages 848-81, September.
- Kirman, Alan P. & Vriend, Nicolaas J., 2001. "Evolving market structure: An ACE model of price dispersion and loyalty," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 25(3-4), pages 459-502, March.
- Martin L. Weitzman, 1998.
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 113(2), pages 331-360, May.
- Martin L. Weitzman, 1995. "Recombinant Growth," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1722, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Weitzman, Martin L., 1998. "Recombinant Growth," Scholarly Articles 3708468, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Olsson, Ola, 2000. " Knowledge as a Set in Idea Space: An Epistemological View on Growth," Journal of Economic Growth, Springer, vol. 5(3), pages 253-75, September.
- Mowery, David C. & Oxley, Joanne E. & Silverman, Brian S., 1998. "Technological overlap and interfirm cooperation: implications for the resource-based view of the firm," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 27(5), pages 507-523, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:unm:umamer:2004018. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Charles Bollen)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.