Evolving Networks of Inventors
In this paper a model for the formation of strategic alliances is studied. Innovation results from the recombination of knowledge held by the partners to the collaboration, and from the history of their collaboration. Innovation brings partners closer together, while at the same time the repetition of partnerships fosters trust and helps improving the outcome of each round of cooperation. A tension exists between innovating with people I know in order to reduce uncertainty at the expense of the net benefit fromour joint effort, and innovating with strangers with whom the outcome of joint innovation can be greater but at a larger risk of failure. This “organized proximity”, built through the experience of cooperation, can be at the origin of strongly structured networks of innovation, where agents’ relations focus on limited cliques of partners. (JEL Classification: L14, Z13, O3, Keywords: Networks, Innovation, Network Formation, Knowledge)
|Date of creation:||2004|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: P.O. Box 616, 6200 MD Maastricht|
Phone: (31) (0)43 3883875
Fax: (31) (0)43 3216518
Web page: http://www.maastrichtuniversity.nl/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Cowan Robin & Jonard Nicolas & Zimmermann J-B, 2004. "On the creation of networks and knowledge," Research Memorandum 010, Maastricht University, Maastricht Economic Research Institute on Innovation and Technology (MERIT).
- Joel A. C. Baum & Andrew V. Shipilov & Tim J. Rowley, 2003. "Where do small worlds come from?," Industrial and Corporate Change, Oxford University Press, vol. 12(4), pages 697-725, August.
- Klos, Tomas B. & Nooteboom, Bart, 2001. "Agent-based computational transaction cost economics," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 25(3-4), pages 503-526, March.
- Weisbuch, G. & Kirman, A.P. & Herreiner, D., 1996.
96a20, Universite Aix-Marseille III.
- Granstrand, Ove & Sjolander, Soren, 1990. "Managing innovation in multi-technology corporations," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 19(1), pages 35-60, February.
- Nooteboom, B., 2004.
"Learning and governance in inter-firm relations,"
Other publications TiSEM
322bac2a-7a66-40a5-8dc5-f, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Nooteboom, B., 2004. "Learning And Governance In Inter-Firm Relations," ERIM Report Series Research in Management ERS-2004-003-ORG, Erasmus Research Institute of Management (ERIM), ERIM is the joint research institute of the Rotterdam School of Management, Erasmus University and the Erasmus School of Economics (ESE) at Erasmus University Rotterdam.
- Nooteboom, B., 2005. "Learning and Governance in Inter-Firm Relations," Discussion Paper 2005-38, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Nooteboom, B., 2001. "Learning and Governance in Inter-Firm Relations," ERIM Report Series Research in Management ERS-2001-71-ORG, Erasmus Research Institute of Management (ERIM), ERIM is the joint research institute of the Rotterdam School of Management, Erasmus University and the Erasmus School of Economics (ESE) at Erasmus University Rotterdam.
- Franck Plouraboue & Alexandre Steyer & Jean-Benoit Zimmermann, 1998.
"Learing Induced Criticality In Consumers' Adoption Pattern: A Neural Network Approach,"
Economics of Innovation and New Technology,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 6(1), pages 73-90.
- Plouraboue, F. & Steyer, A. & Zimmermann, J.B., 1996. "Learning Induced Criticality in Consumers' Adoption Pattern: A Neural Network Approach," G.R.E.Q.A.M. 96a28, Universite Aix-Marseille III.
- Erev, Ido & Roth, Alvin E, 1998. "Predicting How People Play Games: Reinforcement Learning in Experimental Games with Unique, Mixed Strategy Equilibria," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 88(4), pages 848-81, September.
- Martin L. Weitzman, 1998.
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
Oxford University Press, vol. 113(2), pages 331-360.
- Weitzman, Martin L., 1998. "Recombinant Growth," Scholarly Articles 3708468, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Martin L. Weitzman, 1995. "Recombinant Growth," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1722, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Peretto, P. & Smulders, J.A., 2002.
"Technological distance, growth and scale effects,"
Other publications TiSEM
bdce08a7-4ad9-4427-a99e-f, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Goyal, Sanjeev & Joshi, Sumit, 2003.
"Networks of collaboration in oligopoly,"
Games and Economic Behavior,
Elsevier, vol. 43(1), pages 57-85, April.
- Goyal, S. & Joshi, S., 2000. "Networks of Collaboration in Oligopoly," Econometric Institute Research Papers EI 9952-/A, Erasmus University Rotterdam, Erasmus School of Economics (ESE), Econometric Institute.
- Sumit Joshi, 2000. "Networks of Collaboration in Oligopoly," Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers 0623, Econometric Society.
- Mowery, David C. & Oxley, Joanne E. & Silverman, Brian S., 1998. "Technological overlap and interfirm cooperation: implications for the resource-based view of the firm," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 27(5), pages 507-523, September.
- Cowan Robin & Jonard Nicolas & Zimmermann J-B, 2004. "Networks as Emergent Structures from Bilateral Collaboration," Research Memorandum 017, Maastricht University, Maastricht Economic Research Institute on Innovation and Technology (MERIT).
- Kirman, Alan P. & Vriend, Nicolaas J., 2001. "Evolving market structure: An ACE model of price dispersion and loyalty," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 25(3-4), pages 459-502, March.
- Olsson, Ola, 2000. "Knowledge as a Set in Idea Space: An Epistemological View on Growth," Journal of Economic Growth, Springer, vol. 5(3), pages 253-75, September.
- Adonis Yatchew, 1998. "Nonparametric Regression Techniques in Economics," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 36(2), pages 669-721, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:unm:umamer:2004018. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Leonne Portz)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.