This paper attempts to provide microfoundations for the knowledge production function in an idea-based growth model. Production of new ideas is made a function of newly reconfigured old ideas in the spirit of the way an agricultural research station develops improved plant varieties by cross-pollinating existing plant varieties. The model shows how knowledge can build upon itself in a combinatoric feedback process that may have significant implications for economic growth. The paper's main theme is that the ultimate limits to growth lie not so much in our ability to generate new ideas as in our ability to process an abundance of potentially new ideas into usable form.
|Date of creation:||1998|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published in Quarterly Journal of Economics -Cambridge Massachusetts-|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.economics.harvard.edu/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hendrik Hakenes & Andreas Irmen, 2005.
"On the Long-Run Evolution of Technological Knowledge,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
1483, CESifo Group Munich.
- Hendrik Hakenes & Andreas Irmen, 2007. "On the long-run evolution of technological knowledge," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 30(1), pages 171-180, January.
- Robert J. Barro, 1995.
"Inflation and Economic Growth,"
NBER Working Papers
5326, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Maria Rosaria Carillo & Erasmo Papagni & Fabian Capitanio, 2008.
"Effects of social interactions on scientists' productivity,"
International Journal of Manpower,
Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 29(3), pages 263-279, July.
- Maria Rosaria Carillo & Erasmo Papagni & Fabian Capitanio, 2006. "Effects of social interactions on Scientists’ productivity," Discussion Papers 19_2006, D.E.S. (Department of Economic Studies), University of Naples "Parthenope", Italy.
- Carillo, Maria Rosaria & Papagni, Erasmo & Capitanio, Fabian, 2007. "Effects of social interactions on scientists' productivity," MPRA Paper 7880, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Shekhar Aiyar & Carl-Johan Dalgaard & Omer Moav, 2008.
"Technological progress and regress in pre-industrial times,"
Journal of Economic Growth,
Springer, vol. 13(2), pages 125-144, June.
- Aiyar, Shekhar & Dalgaard, Carl-Johan & Moav, Omer, 2006. "Technological Progress and Regress in Pre-Industrial Times," CEPR Discussion Papers 5454, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Rik Wenting, 2008. "Spinoff dynamics and the spatial formation of the fashion design industry, 1858-2005," Journal of Economic Geography, Oxford University Press, vol. 8(5), pages 593-614, September.
- Singh, Nirvikar, 2004.
"Transaction Costs, Information Technology and Development,"
Santa Cruz Department of Economics, Working Paper Series
qt3wq7n6nq, Department of Economics, UC Santa Cruz.
- Nirvikar Singh, 2008. "Transaction costs, information technology and development," Indian Growth and Development Review, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 1(2), pages 212-236, December.
- Singh, Nirvikar, 2004. "Transaction Costs, Information Technology and Development," Santa Cruz Center for International Economics, Working Paper Series qt3wq7n6nq, Center for International Economics, UC Santa Cruz.
- Singh, Nirvikar, 2004. "Transaction Costs, Information Technology and Development," Santa Cruz Department of Economics, Working Paper Series qt1460z68n, Department of Economics, UC Santa Cruz.
- Singh, Nirvikar, 2008. "Transaction Costs, Information Technology and Development," MPRA Paper 9095, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Nirvikar Singh, 2004. "Transaction Costs, Information Technology and Development," Development and Comp Systems 0412005, EconWPA.
- Bryane Michael, 2004. "Explaining organizational change in international development: the role of complexity in anti-corruption work," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 16(8), pages 1067-1088.
- Pier Saviotti & Koen Frenken, 2008. "Export variety and the economic performance of countries," Journal of Evolutionary Economics, Springer, vol. 18(2), pages 201-218, April.
- Mauro Caminati, 2006. "Knowledge growth, complexity and the returns to R&D," Journal of Evolutionary Economics, Springer, vol. 16(3), pages 207-229, August.
- Ola Olsson, 2005. "Technological Opportunity and Growth," Journal of Economic Growth, Springer, vol. 10(1), pages 31-53, 01.
- Ishtiaq P. Mahmood & Will Mitchell, 2004. "Two Faces: Effects of Business Groups on Innovation in Emerging Economies," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 50(10), pages 1348-1365, October.
- Benjamin F. Jones, 2009. "The Burden of Knowledge and the "Death of the Renaissance Man": Is Innovation Getting Harder?," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 76(1), pages 283-317.
- Cowan Robin & Jonard Nicolas & Zimmermann J-B, 2004.
"Evolving Networks of Inventors,"
018, Maastricht University, Maastricht Economic Research Institute on Innovation and Technology (MERIT).
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hrv:faseco:3708468. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ben Steinberg)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.