This paper investigates how technological distance between firms affects their network of R&D alliances. Our theoretic model assumes that the benefit of an alliance between two firms is given by their technological distance. This benefit-distance relationship determines the ego-network of each firm as well as the overall network structure. Empirical relevance is confirmed for the bio-pharmaceutical industry. Although we find that the network structure is largely explained by firm size, technological distance determines the positioning of firms in the network.
|Date of creation:||2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +33 3 68 85 20 69
Fax: +33 3 68 85 20 70
Web page: http://www.beta-umr7522.fr/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hunter, David R. & Goodreau, Steven M. & Handcock, Mark S., 2008. "Goodness of Fit of Social Network Models," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 103, pages 248-258, March.
- repec:ner:tilbur:urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-3159316 is not listed on IDEAS
- Soete, Luc, 1987. "The impact of technological innovation on international trade patterns: The evidence reconsidered," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 16(2-4), pages 101-130, August.
- Gilsing, Victor & Nooteboom, Bart & Vanhaverbeke, Wim & Duysters, Geert & van den Oord, Ad, 2008.
"Network embeddedness and the exploration of novel technologies: Technological distance, betweenness centrality and density,"
Elsevier, vol. 37(10), pages 1717-1731, December.
- Nooteboom, B. & Gilsing, V.A. & Vanhaverbeke, W.P.M. & Duijsters, G.M. & Oord, A., 2006. "Network Embeddedness and the Exploration of Novel Technologies : Technological Distance, Betweenness Centrality and Density," Discussion Paper 2006-32, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Victor Gilsing & Bart Noteboom & Wim Vanhaverbeke & Geert Duysters & Ad van Noord, 2006. "Network embeddedness and the exploration of novel technologies: technological distance, betweenness centrality and density," Working Papers 06-08, Eindhoven Center for Innovation Studies, revised Apr 2006.
- Matthew O. Jackson, 2003.
"A Survey of Models of Network Formation: Stability and Efficiency,"
Game Theory and Information
- Matthew O. Jackson, 2003. "A survey of models of network formation: Stability and efficiency," Working Papers 1161, California Institute of Technology, Division of the Humanities and Social Sciences.
- Nooteboom, B. & Vanhaverbeke, W.P.M. & Duijsters, G.M. & Gilsing, V.A. & Oord, A., 2006.
"Optimal Cognitive Distance and Absorptive Capacity,"
2006-33, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Nooteboom, Bart & Van Haverbeke, Wim & Duysters, Geert & Gilsing, Victor & van den Oord, Ad, 2007. "Optimal cognitive distance and absorptive capacity," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 36(7), pages 1016-1034, September.
- Nooteboom, B. & Vanheverbeke, W.P.M. & Duysters, G.M. & Gilsing, V.A. & Oord van den, A,J,, 2005. "Optimal cognitive distance and absorptive capacity," Working Papers 05.05, Eindhoven Center for Innovation Studies.
- Iain Cockburn & Rebecca Henderson & Scott Stern, 1999. "The Diffusion of Science-Driven Drug Discovery: Organizational Change in Pharmaceutical Research," NBER Working Papers 7359, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Mowery, David C. & Oxley, Joanne E. & Silverman, Brian S., 1998. "Technological overlap and interfirm cooperation: implications for the resource-based view of the firm," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 27(5), pages 507-523, September.
- Cowan, Robin & Jonard, Nicolas, 2004.
"Network structure and the diffusion of knowledge,"
Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control,
Elsevier, vol. 28(8), pages 1557-1575, June.
- Arundel, Anthony & Kabla, Isabelle, 1998. "What percentage of innovations are patented? empirical estimates for European firms," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 27(2), pages 127-141, June.
- Robert P. Gilles & Cathleen Johnson, 2000. "original papers : Spatial social networks," Review of Economic Design, Springer, vol. 5(3), pages 273-299.
- Penin, Julien, 2005.
"Patents versus ex post rewards: A new look,"
Elsevier, vol. 34(5), pages 641-656, June.
- Julien Pénin, 2003. "Patents versus ex-post rewards: a new look," Working Papers of BETA 2003-09, Bureau d'Economie Théorique et Appliquée, UDS, Strasbourg.
- Julien Pénin, 2003. "Patents versus ex-post rewards : a new look," Cahiers de recherche du Département des sciences économiques, UQAM 20-19, Université du Québec à Montréal, Département des sciences économiques.
- Cockburn, Iain M & Henderson, Rebecca M, 1998. "Absorptive Capacity, Coauthoring Behavior, and the Organization of Research in Drug Discovery," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 46(2), pages 157-82, June.
- Arora, Ashish & Gambardella, Alfonso, 1990. "Complementarity and External Linkages: The Strategies of the Large Firms in Biotechnology," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 38(4), pages 361-79, June.
- Gubert, Flore & Fafchamps, Marcel, 2007.
"Risk Sharing and Network Formation,"
Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine
123456789/10840, Paris Dauphine University.
- repec:dgr:kubcen:200632 is not listed on IDEAS
- Patel, Pari & Pavitt, Keith, 1987. "Is Western Europe losing the technological race?," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 16(2-4), pages 59-85, August.
- Gilsing, V.A. & Nooteboom, B. & van Haverbeke, W.P.M. & Duijsters, G.M. & Oord, A., 2008. "Network embeddedness and the exploration of novel technologies : Technological distance, betweenness centrality and density," Other publications TiSEM 762e80f1-0adc-4184-b1be-9, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Orsenigo, L. & Pammolli, F. & Riccaboni, Massimo, 2001. "Technological change and network dynamics: Lessons from the pharmaceutical industry," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 30(3), pages 485-508, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ulp:sbbeta:2009-24. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.