EXPORTING, PRODUCTIVITY AND MARKET INTEGRATON: Italian manufacturing firms within the European context
The potential linkage between international trade and economic growth is always at the core of large and intense debates amongst academic researchers and policy makers. Recently, the attention is increasingly moving towards the exporting-productivity relationship, acknowledging the important role played by the heterogeneous firms and the trade policy. After having provided an overview of the recent theoretical and empirical literature – by focusing especially on Meltiz-Ottaviano model (2008) – this paper is aimed at investigating empirically the link between exporting and firm productivity in Italy within the context of European integration. By using a panel of Italian manufacturing firms for the years 2000 and 2003, we document coherently with the theory that: firstly, exporters turn out to have a higher performance than firms solely oriented to the home market; and secondly, the average firm productivity is higher as the industry export propensity towards more integrated European markets is considered.
|Date of creation:||Dec 2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Largo Papa Giovanni Paolo II, 1 -71100- Foggia (I)|
Web page: http://www.dsems.unifg.it
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ricardo A. López, 2005. "Trade and Growth: Reconciling the Macroeconomic and Microeconomic Evidence," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 19(4), pages 623-648, 09.
- David Greenaway & Richard Kneller, 2007. "Firm heterogeneity, exporting and foreign direct investment," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 117(517), pages F134-F161, 02.
- Andrew B Bernard & Jonathan Eaton & J. Bradford Jensen & Samuel Kortum, 2000.
"Plants and productivity in international trade,"
00-08, Center for Economic Studies, U.S. Census Bureau.
- Andrew B. Bernard & Jonathan Eaton & J. Bradford Jensen & Samuel Kortum, 2000. "Plants and Productivity in International Trade," Boston University - Institute for Economic Development 105, Boston University, Institute for Economic Development.
- Andrew B. Bernard & Jonathan Eaton & J. Bradford Jenson & Samuel Kortum, 2000. "Plants and Productivity in International Trade," NBER Working Papers 7688, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Andrew B. Bernard & Stephen J. Redding & Peter K. Schott, 2007.
"Comparative Advantage and Heterogeneous Firms,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Oxford University Press, vol. 74(1), pages 31-66.
- Bernard, Andrew B. & Redding, Stephen J. & Schott, Peter K., 2004. "Comparative Advantage and Heterogenous Firms," CEPR Discussion Papers 4622, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Andrew Bernard & Stephen Redding & Peter Schott, 2004. "Comparative advantage and heterogeneous firms," IFS Working Papers W04/24, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Andrew B. Bernard & Stephen Redding & Peter K. Schott, 2004. "Comparative Advantage and Heterogeneous Firms," NBER Working Papers 10668, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Andrew B. Bernard & Stephen Redding & Peter K. Schott, 2004. "Comparative advantage and heterogeneous firms," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 3700, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Andrew B. Bernard & Stephen Redding & Peter K. Schott, 2004. "Comparative Advantage and Heterogeneous Firms," CEP Discussion Papers dp0643, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- G. Corcos & M. Del Gatto & G. Mion & GIP. Ottaviano, 2007.
"Productivity and Firm Selection: Intra- vs International Trade,"
Working Paper CRENoS
200706, Centre for North South Economic Research, University of Cagliari and Sassari, Sardinia.
- CORCOS, Gregory & DEL GATTO, Massimo & MION, Giordano & OTTAVIANO, Gianmarco I.P., 2007. "Productivity and firm selection: intra- vs international trade," CORE Discussion Papers 2007060, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Elhanan Helpman & Marc Melitz & Yona Rubinstein, 2007.
"Estimating Trade Flows: Trading Partners and Trading Volumes,"
NBER Working Papers
12927, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Rubinstein, Yona & Helpman, Elhanan & Melitz, Marc, 2008. "Estimating Trade Flows: Trading Partners and Trading Volumes," Scholarly Articles 3228230, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Alla Lileeva & Daniel Trefler, 2007. "Improved Access to Foreign Markets Raises Plant-Level Productivity ... for Some Plants," NBER Working Papers 13297, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Davide Castellani & Francesco Serti & Chiara Tomasi, 2008. "Firms in International Trade: Importers and Exporters Heterogeneity in the Italian Manufacturing Industry," LEM Papers Series 2008/04, Laboratory of Economics and Management (LEM), Sant'Anna School of Advanced Studies, Pisa, Italy.
- Bellone, Flora & Musso, Patrick & Nesta, Lionel & Warzynski, Frederic, 2008. "Endogenous Markups, Firm Productivity and International Trade: : Testing SomeMicro-Level Implications of theMelitz-Ottaviano Model," Working Papers 08-20, University of Aarhus, Aarhus School of Business, Department of Economics.
- David Greenaway & Zhihong Yu, 2004. "Firm-level interactions between exporting and productivity: Industry-specific evidence," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer;Institut für Weltwirtschaft (Kiel Institute for the World Economy), vol. 140(3), pages 376-392, September.
- Ngo Van Long & Horst Raff & Frank Staehler, 2007.
"The Effects of Trade Liberalization on Productivity and Welfare: The Role of Firm Heterogeneity, R&D and Market Structure,"
0710, University of Otago, Department of Economics, revised Jun 2007.
- Stähler, Frank & Raff, Horst & Long, Ngo Van, 2007. "The Effects of Trade Liberalization on Productivity and Welfare: The Role of Firm Heterogeneity, R&D and Market Structure," Economics Working Papers 2007,20, Christian-Albrechts-University of Kiel, Department of Economics.
- Francesco Serti & Chiara Tomasi, 2008. "Firm Heterogeneity: do destinations of exports and origins of imports matter?," LEM Papers Series 2008/14, Laboratory of Economics and Management (LEM), Sant'Anna School of Advanced Studies, Pisa, Italy.
- Bernard, Andrew B. & Jensen, J. Bradford & Schott, Peter K., 2006. "Trade costs, firms and productivity," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 53(5), pages 917-937, July.
- Michele Imbruno, 2008. "INTERNATIONAL TRADE AND FIRM PRODUCTIVITY WITHIN THE ITALIAN MANUFACTURING SECTOR: Self-Selection or Learning-by-Exporting?," Quaderni DSEMS 21-2008, Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche, Matematiche e Statistiche, Universita' di Foggia.
- Piergiuseppe Morone & Carmelo Petraglia & Giuseppina Testa, 2007. "Research, Knowledge Spillovers and Innovation," Birkbeck Working Papers in Economics and Finance 0713, Birkbeck, Department of Economics, Mathematics & Statistics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ufg:qdsems:22-2008. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Luca Grilli)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.