Sovereign Debt In The Americas: New Data and Stylized Facts
In this paper, we introduce the first comprehensive database on sovereign debt systematically compiled to ensure comparability, for all countries in the Americas, and use this new data to highlight the main stylized facts regarding sovereign debt for developing America in the last two decades. We find that debt ratios in developing America are comparable to those in developed countries and have remained stable since the late nineties. By contrast, the composition of debt in the region has changed significantly, shifting from foreign currency external to local currency domestic debt. This onshoring and dedollarization of sovereign debt, contrary to conventional wisdom, has not come at the expense of a shortening of maturities. Furthermore, we find that onshoring is correlated with the level economic development and country size, and with the presence of institutional investors.
|Date of creation:||Jun 2006|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.utdt.edu/listado_contenidos.php?id_item_menu=4994
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jeromin Zettelmeyer & Federico Sturzenegger, 2005.
"Haircuts; Estimating Investor Losses in Sovereign Debt Restructurings, 1998-2005,"
IMF Working Papers
05/137, International Monetary Fund.
- Sturzenegger, Federico & Zettelmeyer, Jeromin, 2008. "Haircuts: Estimating investor losses in sovereign debt restructurings, 1998-2005," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 27(5), pages 780-805, September.
- Luis Felipe Cespedes & Roberto Chang & Andres Velasco, 2000.
"Balance Sheets and Exchange Rate Policy,"
NBER Working Papers
7840, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Aghion, Philippe & Bacchetta, Philippe & Banerjee, Abhijit, 2001.
"Currency crises and monetary policy in an economy with credit constraints,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 45(7), pages 1121-1150.
- Philippe Aghion & Philippe Bacchetta & Abhijit Banerjee, 2000. "Currency Crises and Monetary Policy in an Economy with Credit Constraints," Working Papers 00.07, Swiss National Bank, Study Center Gerzensee.
- Banerjee, Abhijit & Bacchetta, Philippe & Aghion, Philippe, 2001. "Currency Crises and Monetary Policy in an Economy with Credit Constraints," Scholarly Articles 4554218, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Aghion, Philippe & Bacchetta, Philippe & Banerjee, Abhijit, 2000. "Currency Crises and Monetary Policy in an Economy with Credit Constraints," CEPR Discussion Papers 2529, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Dany Jaimovich & Ugo Panizza, 2006.
"Public Debt around the World: A New Dataset of Central Government Debt,"
Research Department Publications
4461, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Dany Jaimovich & Ugo Panizza, 2010. "Public debt around the world: a new data set of central government debt," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 17(1), pages 19-24, January.
- Alicia Garcia Herrero & Juan Carlos Berganza, 2004. "What Makes Balance Sheet Effects Detrimental For The Country Risk Premium?," International Finance 0408002, EconWPA.
- de la Torre, Augusto & Schmukler & Sergio L., 2004.
"Coping with risk through mismatches : domestic and international financial contracts for emerging economies,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
3212, The World Bank.
- Augusto de la Torre & Sergio L. Schmukler, 2004. "Coping with Risks through Mismatches: Domestic and International Financial Contracts for Emerging Economies," International Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 7(3), pages 349-390, December.
- Dany Jaimovich & Ugo Panizza, 2006. "Public Debt around the World: A New Dataset of Central Government Debt," IDB Publications (Working Papers) 6710, Inter-American Development Bank.
- Claessens, Stijn & Klingebiel, Daniela & Schmukler, Sergio, 2003.
"Government Bonds in Domestic and Foreign Currency: The Role of Macroeconomic and Institutional Factors,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
3789, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Claessens, Stijn & Klingebiel, Daniela & Schmukler, Sergio, 2003. "Government bonds in domestic and foreign currency: the role of macroeconomic and institutional factors," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2986, The World Bank.
- repec:rus:hseeco:124089 is not listed on IDEAS
- Alejandro Izquierdo, 2002. "Sudden Stops, the Real Exchange Rate and Fiscal Sustainability in Argentina," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 25(7), pages 903-923, 07.
- Barry Eichengreen & Ricardo Hausmann & Ugo Panizza, 2003. "Currency Mismatches, Debt Intolerance and Original Sin: Why They Are Not the Same and Why it Matters," NBER Working Papers 10036, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Eduardo Levy Yeyati, 2006.
"Financial dollarization: evaluating the consequences,"
CEPR;CES;MSH, vol. 21(45), pages 61-118, 01.
- Eduardo Levy Yeyati, 2005. "Financial Dollarisation: Evaluating The Consequences," Business School Working Papers findollarisation, Universidad Torcuato Di Tella.
- Eduardo Levy-Yeyati, 2004. "FINANCIAL DOLLARIZATION: Evaluating the consequences," Econometric Society 2004 Latin American Meetings 184, Econometric Society.
- Anastasia Guscina & Olivier Jeanne, 2006. "Government Debt in Emerging Market Countries; A New Data Set," IMF Working Papers 06/98, International Monetary Fund.
- Paul Krugman, 1999. "Balance Sheets, the Transfer Problem, and Financial Crises," International Tax and Public Finance, Springer, vol. 6(4), pages 459-472, November.
- Morris Goldstein & Philip Turner, 2004. "Controlling Currency Mismatches in Emerging Markets," Peterson Institute Press: All Books, Peterson Institute for International Economics, number 373, May.
- N. Gregory Mankiw, 1999.
"The Savers-Spenders Theory of Fiscal Policy,"
Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers
1888, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Eduardo Levy Yeyati, 2004. "Dollars, Debt and the IFIs: Dedollarizing Multilateral Lending," Business School Working Papers dedollmultlending, Universidad Torcuato Di Tella.
- Ricardo J. Caballero & Arvind Krishnamurthy, 2003. "Excessive Dollar Debt: Financial Development and Underinsurance," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 58(2), pages 867-894, 04.
- Michael D. Bordo & Christopher Meissner & Angela Redish, 2003. "How "Original Sin" was Overcome: The Evolution of External Debt Denominated in Domestic Currencies in the United States and the British Dominions," NBER Working Papers 9841, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Barro, Robert J, 1974.
"Are Government Bonds Net Wealth?,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 82(6), pages 1095-1117, Nov.-Dec..
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:udt:wpbsdt:2006-09. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Nicolás Del Ponte)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.