The Forecasting Ability of Factor Models of the Term Structure of IRS Markets
Using estimated principal components as factors, three-factors models are shown to produce forecasts comparable to those of autoregressive models for 2 to 10 year zaero coupon interest rates IRS markets both, for short- and medium- term forecasting horizons. Evidence is provided for the Deutsche mark, Spanish peseta, Japanese yen and US Dollar. Forecast from factor models are also shown to preserve the correlation matrix of interest rates across a given term structure, an important proprerty regarding risk management. The result is quite striking, because factor models are purely static, and forecasts for the factors must be obtained in advance of interest rate forecast.factor models
|Date of creation:||2002|
|Contact details of provider:|| Phone: +34 913942604|
Web page: https://www.ucm.es/icae
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Postal: Facultad de Ciencias Económicas y Empresariales. Pabellón prefabricado, 1ª Planta, ala norte. Campus de Somosaguas, 28223 - POZUELO DE ALARCÓN (MADRID)|
Web: https://www.ucm.es/fundamentos-analisis-economico2/documentos-de-trabajo-del-icae Email:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Niffikeer, Cindy I. & Hewins, Robin D. & Flavell, Richard B., 2000. "A synthetic factor approach to the estimation of value-at-risk of a portfolio of interest rate swaps," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 24(12), pages 1903-1932, December.
- Engle, Robert F & Kozicki, Sharon, 1993.
"Testing for Common Features,"
Journal of Business & Economic Statistics,
American Statistical Association, vol. 11(4), pages 369-380, October.
- Robert F. Engle & Sharon Kozicki, 1990. "Testing For Common Features," NBER Technical Working Papers 0091, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Engle, Robert F & Kozicki, Sharon, 1993. "Testing for Common Features: Reply," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 11(4), pages 393-395, October.
- Knez, Peter J & Litterman, Robert & Scheinkman, Jose Alexandre, 1994. " Explorations into Factors Explaining Money Market Returns," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 49(5), pages 1861-1882, December. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ucm:doicae:0221. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Águeda González Abad)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.