The impact of heterogeneity on indeterminacy
The aim of the paper is to explore the link between agent's heterogeneity and indeterminacy in a general equilibrium economy. The framework is provided by the two-sector growth model with technological externalities of Boldrin and Rustichini (1994) in which heterogeneous agents are introduced. We first show that the occurrence of indeterminacy depends on the distribution in labor endowments and in shares on initial capital among the agents as well as on preferences and technology. We find that the sign of the effect of heterogeneity on indeterminacy is not pinned down by the standard properties of preferences, a fact that might be surprising in view of some recent results (as in Herrendorf et al. (2000)). However, when risk aversion is a concave or a slightly convex function, the heterogeneity is a factor that opposes the external effects in generating indeterminacy.
|Date of creation:||Nov 2002|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Schanzeneckstr. 1, PF 8573, CH-3001 Bern|
Phone: 0041 31 631 45 06
Fax: 41 31 631 37 83
Web page: http://www.vwi.unibe.ch/content/publikationen/index_eng.html
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kehoe, Timothy J & Levine, David K & Romer, Paul M, 1992.
"On Characterizing Equilibria of Economies with Externalities and Taxes as Solutions to Optimization Problems,"
Springer;Society for the Advancement of Economic Theory (SAET), vol. 2(1), pages 43-68, January.
- Timothy J. Kehoe & David K. Levine & Paul M. Romer, 1990. "On characterizing equilibria of economies with externalities and taxes as solutions to optimization problems," Working Papers 436, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Santos, Manuel S., 1992. "Differentiability and comparative analysis in discrete-time infinite-horizon optimization," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 57(1), pages 222-229.
- Kiminori Matsuyama, 1991. "Increasing Returns, Industrialization, and Indeterminacy of Equilibrium," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 106(2), pages 617-650.
- Kiminori Matsuyama, 1990. "Increasing Returns, Industrialization and Indeterminacy of Equilibrium," Discussion Papers 878, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Boldrin, Michele & Rustichini, Aldo, 1994. "Growth and Indeterminacy in Dynamic Models with Externalities," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 62(2), pages 323-342, March.
- Michele Boldrin & Aldo Rustichini, 2010. "Growth and Indeterminacy in Dynamic Models with Externalities," Levine's Working Paper Archive 1382, David K. Levine.
- Kehoe, Timothy J. & Levine, David K. & Romer, Paul M., 1990. "Determinacy of equilibria in dynamic models with finitely many consumers," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 50(1), pages 1-21, February.
- Timothy J. Kehoe & David K. Levine & Paul M. Romer, 1989. "Determinacy of equilibria in dynamic models with finitely many consumers," Staff Report 118, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Timothy J. Kehoe & David K. Levine & Paul Romer, 1990. "Determinacy of Equilibrium in Dynamic Models with Finitely Many Consumers," Levine's Working Paper Archive 165, David K. Levine.
- Yano, Makoto, 1991. "Temporary transfers in a simple dynamic general equilibrium model," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 54(2), pages 372-388, August.
- Berthold Herrendorf & Akos Valentinyi & Robert Waldmann, 2000. "Ruling Out Multiplicity and Indeterminacy: The Role of Heterogeneity," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 67(2), pages 295-307.
- Santos, M.S., 1989. "Differentiability And Comparative Analysis In Discrete-Time Infinite-Horizon Optimization Problems," UFAE and IAE Working Papers 127-89, Unitat de Fonaments de l'Anàlisi Econòmica (UAB) and Institut d'Anàlisi Econòmica (CSIC).
- Bewley, Truman, 1982. "An integration of equilibrium theory and turnpike theory," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 10(2-3), pages 233-267, September.
- Yano, Makoto, 1984. "The turnpike of dynamic general equilibrium paths and its insensitivity to initial conditions," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 13(3), pages 235-254, December.
- M. Yano, 2010. "The Turnpike of Dynamic General Equilibrium Paths and its Insensitivity to Initial Conditions," Levine's Working Paper Archive 1394, David K. Levine.
- Christian Ghiglino & Marielle Olszak-Duquenne, 2001. "Inequalities and fluctuations in a dynamic general equilibrium model," Economic Theory, Springer;Society for the Advancement of Economic Theory (SAET), vol. 17(1), pages 1-24.
- Makoto Yano, 1998. "On the Dual Stability of a von Neumann Facet and the Inefficacy of Temporary Fiscal Policy," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 66(2), pages 427-452, March. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)