Globalization and Volatility under Alternative Trade Structures
This paper explores a dynamic two-country model with production externalities in which capital goods are not traded and international lending and borrowing are allowed. Unlike the integrated world economy model based on the Heckscher-Ohlin setting, our model yields indeterminacy of equilibrium under a wider set of parameter values than in the corresponding closed economy model. Our finding demonstrates that the assumption on trade structure would be a relevant determinant in considering the relation between globalization and economic volatility.
|Date of creation:||Oct 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Yoshida-Honmachi, Sakyo-ku, Kyoto 606-8501|
Web page: http://www.kier.kyoto-u.ac.jp/eng/index.html
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Weder, Mark, 2001.
"Indeterminacy in a Small Open Economy Ramsey Growth Model,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 98(2), pages 339-356, June.
- Weder, Mark, 2000. "Indeterminacy in a Small Open Economy Ramsey Growth Model," CEPR Discussion Papers 2585, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Kazuo Mino, 2008. "Preference Structure and Volatility in a Financially Integrated World," Discussion Papers in Economics and Business 08-05, Osaka University, Graduate School of Economics and Osaka School of International Public Policy (OSIPP).
- Turnovsky,Stephen J., 2011.
"Capital Accumulation and Economic Growth in a Small Open Economy,"
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521187527.
- Turnovsky,Stephen J., 2009. "Capital Accumulation and Economic Growth in a Small Open Economy," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521764759.
- Benhabib, Jess & Nishimura, Kazuo, 1996.
"Indeterminancy and Sunspots with Constant Returns,"
96-44, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- Nicholas C. S. Sim & Kong-Weng Ho, 2007.
"Autarkic indeterminacy and trade determinacy,"
International Journal of Economic Theory,
The International Society for Economic Theory, vol. 3(4), pages 315-328.
- Nicholas Sim & Kong-Weng Ho, 2005. "Autarkic Indeterminacy and Trade Determinacy," Departmental Working Papers wp0507, National University of Singapore, Department of Economics.
- Nicholas C.S. Sim & Kong-Weng Ho, 2007. "Autarkic Indeterminacy and Trade Determinacy," Economic Growth Centre Working Paper Series 0706, Nanyang Technological University, School of Humanities and Social Sciences, Economic Growth Centre.
- Claustre Bajona & Timothy J. Kehoe, 2008.
"Trade, growth, and convergence in a dynamic Heckscher-Ohlin model,"
378, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Claustre Bajona & Timothy Kehoe, 2010. "Trade, Growth, and Convergence in a Dynamic Heckscher-Ohlin Model," Review of Economic Dynamics, Elsevier for the Society for Economic Dynamics, vol. 13(3), pages 487-513, July.
- Claustre Bajona & Timothy J. Kehoe, 2006. "Trade, Growth, and Convergence in a Dynamic Heckscher-Ohlin Model," NBER Working Papers 12567, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Mino, Kazuo, 2001. "Indeterminacy and Endogenous Growth with Social Constant Returns," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 97(1), pages 203-222, March.
- Basu, Susanto & Fernald, John G, 1997.
"Returns to Scale in U.S. Production: Estimates and Implications,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 105(2), pages 249-83, April.
- Susanto Basu & John G. Fernald, 1996. "Returns to scale in U.S. production: estimates and implications," International Finance Discussion Papers 546, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Nishimura, Kazuo & Shimomura, Koji, 2002.
"Trade and Indeterminacy in a Dynamic General Equilibrium Model,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 105(1), pages 244-260, July.
- Koji Shimomura & Kazuo Nishimura, 2001. "Trade and Indeterminacy in a Dynamic General Equilibrium Model," Discussion Paper Series 117, Research Institute for Economics & Business Administration, Kobe University.
- Benhabib, J. & Meng, Q. & Nishimura, K., 1999.
"Indeterminacy Under Constant Returns to Scale in Multisector Economies,"
99-17, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- Jess Benhabib & Qinglai Meng & Kazuo Nishimura, 2000. "Indeterminacy under Constant Returns to Scale in Multisector Economies," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 68(6), pages 1541-1548, November.
- Qinglai Meng & Andrés Velasco, 2003. "Indeterminacy in a small open economy with endogenous labor supply," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 22(3), pages 661-669, October.
- Bian, Yong & Meng, Qinglai, 2004. "Preferences, endogenous discount rate, and indeterminacy in a small open economy model," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 84(3), pages 315-322, September.
- Rudolfs Bems, 2008. "Aggregate Investment Expenditures on Tradable and Nontradable Goods," Review of Economic Dynamics, Elsevier for the Society for Economic Dynamics, vol. 11(4), pages 852-883, October.
- Yoshiyasu Ono & Akihisa Shibata, 2010. "Time Patience and Specialization Patterns in the Presence of Asset Trade," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 42(1), pages 93-112, 02.
- Meng, Qinglai, 2003. "Multiple transitional growth paths in endogenously growing open economies," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 108(2), pages 365-376, February.
- Meng, Qinglai & Velasco, Andres, 2004. "Market imperfections and the instability of open economies," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 64(2), pages 503-519, December.
- Rudolfs Bems, 2008. "Aggregate Investment Expenditures on Tradable and Nontradable Goods," IMF Working Papers 08/45, International Monetary Fund.
- Christian Ghiglino & Marielle Olszak-Duquenne, 2004.
"On the Impact of Heterogeneity on Indeterminacy,"
Research Papers by the Institute of Economics and Econometrics, Geneva School of Economics and Management, University of Geneva
2004.09, Institut d'Economie et Econométrie, Université de Genève.
- Sharon G. Harrison, 2003. "Returns to Scale and Externalities in the Consumption and Investment Sectors," Review of Economic Dynamics, Elsevier for the Society for Economic Dynamics, vol. 6(4), pages 963-976, October.
- Cremers, Emily T., 1997. "Capital markets and dimension in neoclassical models of growth with trade," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 43(1-2), pages 155-172, August.
- Turnovsky Stephen J. & Sen Partha, 1995. "Investment in a Two-Sector Dependent Economy," Journal of the Japanese and International Economies, Elsevier, vol. 9(1), pages 29-55, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kyo:wpaper:791. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ryo Okui)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.