Platform Pricing under Dispersed Information
We study monopoly and duopoly pricing in a two-sided market with dispersed information about users' preferences. We first show how the dispersion of information introduces idiosyncratic uncertainty about participation rates and how the latter shapes the elasticity of the demands and thereby the equilibrium prices. We then study informative advertising campaigns and product design affecting the agents' ability to estimate their own valuations and/or the distribution of valuations on the other side of the market.
|Date of creation:||Aug 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Phone: (+33) 5 61 12 86 23|
Web page: http://www.tse-fr.eu/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- E. Glen Weyl, 2010. "A Price Theory of Multi-sided Platforms," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 100(4), pages 1642-72, September.
- Carlsson, H. & Van Damme, E., 1990.
"Global Games And Equilibrium Selection,"
9052, Tilburg - Center for Economic Research.
- Carlsson, H. & van Damme, E.E.C., 1990. "Global games and equilibrium selection," Discussion Paper 1990-52, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Carlsson, H. & van Damme, E.E.C., 1993. "Global games and equilibrium selection," Other publications TiSEM 49a54f00-dcec-4fc1-9488-4, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Hans Carlsson & Eric van Damme, 1993. "Global Games and Equilibrium Selection," Levine's Working Paper Archive 122247000000001088, David K. Levine.
- Hanna Halaburda & Yaron Yehezkel, 2011.
"Platform Competition under Asymmetric Information,"
11-05, NET Institute, revised Sep 2011.
- Renault, Régis & Anderson, Simon P., 2009.
"Comparative advertising: disclosing horizontal match information,"
Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine
123456789/12478, Paris Dauphine University.
- Simon P. Anderson & Régis Renault, 2009. "Comparative advertising: disclosing horizontal match information," RAND Journal of Economics, RAND Corporation, vol. 40(3), pages 558-581.
- Simon P. ANDERSON & Régis RENAULT, 2008. "Comparative Advertising: disclosing horizontal match information," THEMA Working Papers 2008-29, THEMA (THéorie Economique, Modélisation et Applications), Université de Cergy-Pontoise.
- Amelio, Andrea & Jullien, Bruno, 2012.
"Tying and freebies in two-sided markets,"
International Journal of Industrial Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 30(5), pages 436-446.
- Whinston, Michael D, 1990.
"Tying, Foreclosure, and Exclusion,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 80(4), pages 837-59, September.
- Susan Athey & Emilio Calvano & Joshua Gans, 2013.
"The Impact of the Internet on Advertising Markets for News Media,"
NBER Working Papers
19419, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Susan Athey & Emilio Calvano & Joshua S. Gans, 2014. "The Impact of the Internet on Advertising Markets for News Media," CSEF Working Papers 379, Centre for Studies in Economics and Finance (CSEF), University of Naples, Italy.
- Cabral, Luís M B, 2008.
"Dynamic Price Competition with Network Effects,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
6687, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Luis Cabral, 2008. "Dynamic Price Competition with Network Effects," Working Papers 08-4, New York University, Leonard N. Stern School of Business, Department of Economics.
- Luís Cabral, 2007. "Dynamic Price Competition with Network Effects," Working Papers 22, Portuguese Competition Authority.
- Cabral, Luis, 2009. "Dynamic price competition with network effects," IESE Research Papers D/843, IESE Business School.
- Luis Cabral, 2007. "Dynamic Price Competition with Network Effects," 2007 Meeting Papers 326, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Matthew Mitchell & Andrzej Skrzypacz, 2006.
"Network externalities and long-run market shares,"
Springer, vol. 29(3), pages 621-648, November.
- Renato Gomes & Alessandro Pavan, 2014. "Many-to-Many Matching and Price Discrimination," Discussion Papers 1578, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Damiano, Ettore & Li, Hao, 2005.
"Price Discrimination and Efficient Matching,"
Microeconomics.ca working papers
damiano-05-03-21-12-21-58, Vancouver School of Economics, revised 22 Mar 2005.
- Mark Armstrong & Julian Wright, 2007. "Two-sided Markets, Competitive Bottlenecks and Exclusive Contracts," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 32(2), pages 353-380, August.
- Caillaud, Bernard & Jullien, Bruno, 2003. " Chicken & Egg: Competition among Intermediation Service Providers," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 34(2), pages 309-28, Summer.
- Ambrus, Attila & Argenziano, Rossella, 2009.
"Asymmetric Networks in Two-Sided Markets,"
3204916, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Simon P. Anderson & R�gis Renault, 2006.
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 96(1), pages 93-113, March.
- Attila Ambrus & Emilio Calvano & Markus Reisinger, 2014.
"Either or Both Competition: A "Two-sided" Theory of Advertising with Overlapping Viewerships,"
CSEF Working Papers
378, Centre for Studies in Economics and Finance (CSEF), University of Naples, Italy.
- Reisinger, Markus & Ambrus, Attila & Calvano, Emilio, 2013. "Either or Both Competition: A "Two-Sided" Theory of Advertising with Overlapping Viewerships," Annual Conference 2013 (Duesseldorf): Competition Policy and Regulation in a Global Economic Order 79912, Verein für Socialpolitik / German Economic Association.
- Drew Fudenberg & Jean Tirole, 1986. "A "Signal-Jamming" Theory of Predation," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 17(3), pages 366-376, Autumn.
- Caillaud, Bernard & Jullien, Bruno, 2001. "Competing cybermediaries," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 45(4-6), pages 797-808, May.
- repec:hrv:faseco:4589709 is not listed on IDEAS
- Andrei Hagiu, 2009. "Two-Sided Platforms: Product Variety and Pricing Structures," Journal of Economics & Management Strategy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 18(4), pages 1011-1043, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:tse:wpaper:27584. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.