Unconditional Partial Effects of Binary Covariates
In this paper, we study the effect of a small ceteris paribus change in the marginal distribution of a binary covariate on some feature of the unconditional distribution of an outcome variable of interest. We show that the RIF regression techniques recently proposed by Firpo, Fortin, and Lemieux (2009) do not estimate this quantity. Moreover, we show that such parameters are in general only partially identified, and derive straightforward expressions for the identified set. The results are implemented in the context of an empirical application that studies the effect of union membership rates on the distribution of wages.
|Date of creation:||Sep 2009|
|Publication status:||Published in Econometrica, vol. 80, n°5, septembre 2012, p. 2269-2301.|
|Contact details of provider:|| Phone: (+33) 5 61 12 86 23|
Web page: http://www.tse-fr.eu/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Trivedi, Pravin K. & Zimmer, David M., 2007. "Copula Modeling: An Introduction for Practitioners," Foundations and Trends(R) in Econometrics, now publishers, vol. 1(1), pages 1-111, April.
- Nikolay Nenovsky & S. Statev, 2006. "Introduction," Post-Print halshs-00260898, HAL.
- Sergio Firpo & Nicole M. Fortin & Thomas Lemieux, 2009.
"Unconditional Quantile Regressions,"
Econometric Society, vol. 77(3), pages 953-973, 05.
- SErgio Firpo & Nicole M. Fortin & Thomas Lemieux, 2006. "Unconditional Quantile Regressions," Textos para discussão 533, Department of Economics PUC-Rio (Brazil).
- Sergio Firpo & Nicole M. Fortin & Thomas Lemieux, 2007. "Unconditional Quantile Regressions," NBER Technical Working Papers 0339, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Vaart,A. W. van der, 2000. "Asymptotic Statistics," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521784504, Diciembre.
- Rothe, Christoph, 2010. "Nonparametric estimation of distributional policy effects," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 155(1), pages 56-70, March. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)