On estimating the effectiveness of resources. A local maximum likelihood frontier approach on care for students
To study education as a complex production process in a noisy and heterogeneous setting, this paper suggests to using a stochastic frontier model estimated by a local maximum likelihood approach (LMLSF). The LMLSF smoothly combines the virtues of the non-parametric Data Envelopment Analysis model and the semi-parametric Stochastic Frontier model. Additionally, by the LMLSF approach one can deduce the e ectiveness of resources by examining the impact of inputs on the frontier. Indeed, while eciency estimations (i.e., doing the things right) received considerable attention in the literature, the analysis of effectiveness (i.e., doing the right things) is less explored. The approach is illustrated on a sample of Dutch primary education pupils. We examine the e ectiveness of instruction time, experience of the teacher, and student care (both social worker and psychologist) on educational attainments of native and non-native students.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ludger Wößmann, 2008.
"Efficiency and equity of European education and training policies,"
International Tax and Public Finance,
Springer;International Institute of Public Finance, vol. 15(2), pages 199-230, April.
- Ludger Woessmann, 2006. "Efficiency and Equity of European Education and Training Policies," CESifo Working Paper Series 1779, CESifo Group Munich.
- Wößmann, Ludger, 2008. "Efficiency and equity of European education and training policies," Munich Reprints in Economics 19667, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- Ludger Woesmann, 2003. "Schooling Resources, Educational Institutions and Student Performance: the International Evidence," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 65(2), pages 117-170, 05.
- Wößmann, Ludger, 2000. "Schooling Resources, Educational Institutions, and Student Performance: The International Evidence," Kiel Working Papers 983, Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW).
- Wößmann, Ludger, 2003. "Schooling resources, educational institutions and student performance: The international evidence," Munich Reprints in Economics 19661, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:tir:wpaper:16. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jessica Segal)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.