Structural Sign Patterns and Reduced Form Restrictions
This paper reconsiders the degree to which the sign patterns of hypothesized structural arrays limit the possible outcomes for the sign pattern of the corresponding estimated reduced form. To now, the conditions under which any such restrictions would apply were believed to be very narrow, are rarely found to apply, and are virtually never investigated. As a result, current practice does not test the structural hypothesis in terms of the outcome of the estimated reduced orm in terms of permissible reduced form sign patterns alone. This paper shows that such tests are always possible. Namely, that the sign patterns of the hypothesized structural arrays always limit the sign patterns that can be consistently taken on by the estimated reduced form. Given this, it is always possible to falsify a structural hypothesis based only upon the sign pattern proposed. Necessary conditions, algorithmic principles, and examples are provided to illustrate the analytic principle and the means of its application.
|Date of creation:||Jun 2011|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ritter Annex 877, Philadelphia, PA 19122|
Web page: http://www.cla.temple.edu/economics/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Buck, Andrew J. & Lady, George M., 2005. "Falsifying economic models," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 22(5), pages 777-810, September.
- Kelvin Lancaster, 1962. "The Scope of Qualitative Economics," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 29(2), pages 99-123.
- Andrew J. Buck & George M. Lady, 2010. "An Expanded Scope For Qualitative Economics," DETU Working Papers 1007, Department of Economics, Temple University.
- Lady, George M. & Quirk, James P., 2007. "The scope of the LeChatelier Principle," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 381(C), pages 351-365.
- George Lady, 2000. "Topics in nonparametric comparative statics and stability," International Advances in Economic Research, Springer;International Atlantic Economic Society, vol. 6(1), pages 67-83, February.
- repec:kap:iaecre:v:6:y:2000:i:1:p:67-83 is not listed on IDEAS
- George Lady & James Quirk, 2010. "The global LeChatelier Principle and multimarket equilibria," Review of Economic Design, Springer;Society for Economic Design, vol. 14(1), pages 193-201, March.
- Titus O. Awokuse & David A. Bessler, 2003. "Vector Autoregressions, Policy Analysis, and Directed Acyclic Graphs: An Application to the U.S. Economy," Journal of Applied Economics, Universidad del CEMA, vol. 6, pages 1-24, May.
- Lady, George M, 1983. "The Structure of Qualitatively Determinate Relationships," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 51(1), pages 197-218, January.
- Ritschard, Gilbert, 1983. "Computable Qualitative Comparative Static Techniques," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 51(4), pages 1145-1168, July.
- William J. Gillen & Antonio Guccione, 1990. "The Introduction of Constraints in Lancaster's Qualitative Comparative Statics Algorithm," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 105(4), pages 1053-1061.
- Lady, George M. & Maybee, John S., 1983. "Qualitatively invertible matrices," Mathematical Social Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 6(3), pages 397-407, December.