Public Debt and Relative Prices in a Cross-Section of Countries
This paper examines the effects of debt and distortionary labor taxation on the long-run behavior of the relative price of nontraded goods. At the theoretical level, in a two-sector open economy model we demonstrate that higher public debt, associated with higher taxation, contracts labor supply in both traded and nontraded goods sectors. Relative prices move inversely with relative supply shifts which, in turn, depend on relative factor intensities. At the empirical level, for a panel of advanced economies, we find statistically significant effects of public debt and taxes on the relative price of nontraded goods, with higher debt and taxes associated with higher relative prices.
|Date of creation:||Jun 2016|
|Date of revision:||Jul 2016|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Trinity College, Dublin 2|
Phone: (+ 353 1) 6081325
Web page: http://www.tcd.ie/Economics/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Berka, Martin & Devereux, Michael B. & Engel, Charles, 2014.
"Real exchange rates and sectoral productivity in the Eurozone,"
Globalization and Monetary Policy Institute Working Paper
196, Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas.
- Martin Berka & Michael B. Devereux & Charles Engel, 2014. "Real Exchange Rates and Sectoral Productivity in the Eurozone," NBER Working Papers 20510, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Martin Berka & Michael B. Devereux & Charles Engel, 2014. "Real Exchange Rates and Sectoral Productivity in the Eurozone," CAMA Working Papers 2014-66, Centre for Applied Macroeconomic Analysis, Crawford School of Public Policy, The Australian National University.
- Berka, Martin & Devereux, MB & Engel, C, 2015. "Real Exchange Rates and Sectoral Productivity in the Eurozone," Working Papers 26970, Department of Economics, The University of Auckland.
- Berka, Martin & Devereux, Michael B & Engel, Charles M, 2014. "Real Exchange Rates and Sectoral Productivity in the Eurozone," CEPR Discussion Papers 10203, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Carmen M. Reinhart & Kenneth S. Rogoff, 2009. "Varieties of Crises and Their Dates," Introductory Chapters,in: This Time Is Different: Eight Centuries of Financial Folly Princeton University Press.
- Carmen M. Reinhart & Kenneth S. Rogoff, 2009. "This Time Is Different: Eight Centuries of Financial Folly," Economics Books, Princeton University Press, edition 1, number 8973.
- Reinhart, Carmen, 2009. "The Second Great Contraction," MPRA Paper 21485, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Chinn, Menzie D. & Prasad, Eswar S., 2003. "Medium-term determinants of current accounts in industrial and developing countries: an empirical exploration," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 59(1), pages 47-76, January.
- Menzie David Chinn & Eswar S Prasad, 2000. "Medium-Term Determinants of Current Accounts in Industrial and Developing Countries; An Empirical Exploration," IMF Working Papers 00/46, International Monetary Fund.
- Menzie D. Chinn & Eswar S. Prasad, 2000. "Medium-Term Determinants of Current Accounts in Industrial and Developing Countries: An Empirical Exploration," NBER Working Papers 7581, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Barro, Robert J, 1974. "Are Government Bonds Net Wealth?," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 82(6), pages 1095-1117, Nov.-Dec..
- Barro, Robert J., 1974. "Are Government Bonds Net Wealth?," Scholarly Articles 3451399, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Galstyan, Vahagn & Velic, Adnan, 2017. "Debt thresholds and real exchange rates: An emerging markets perspective," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 70(C), pages 452-470.
- Vahagn Galstyan & Adnan Velic, 2016. "Debt Thresholds and Real Exchange Rates: An Emerging Markets Perspective," Trinity Economics Papers tep0416, Trinity College Dublin, Department of Economics.
- Maurice Obstfeld & Kenneth S. Rogoff, 1996. "Foundations of International Macroeconomics," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262150476, January.
- Reinhart, Karmen & Rogoff, Kenneth, 2009. ""This time is different": panorama of eight centuries of financial crises," Economic Policy, Russian Presidential Academy of National Economy and Public Administration, vol. 1, pages 77-114, March.
- Martin Berka & Michael B. Devereux, 2013. "Trends in European real exchange rates," Economic Policy, CEPR;CES;MSH, vol. 28(74), pages 193-242, 04.
- Mary O'Mahony & Marcel P. Timmer, 2009. "Output, Input and Productivity Measures at the Industry Level: The EU KLEMS Database," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 119(538), pages 374-403, 06. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)