The International Community and the CIS-7
The international community has sought to assist the development efforts of the CIS-7 countries since the collapse of the Soviet Union in the early 1990s. The international financial institutions have played a leading role in these efforts. Despite considerable engagement with the govenments of these countries, overall progress has been disappointing. In this paper, we review the contribution of the international community to the transition challenge facing the CIS-7 countries and assess whether a change in strategy is warrented.
|Date of creation:||2003|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Trinity College, Dublin 2|
Phone: (+ 353 1) 6081325
Web page: http://www.tcd.ie/Economics/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jeffrey D. Sachs, 2002. "Resolving the Debt Crisis of Low-Income Countries," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 33(1), pages 257-286.
- Devesh Kapur, 2002. "Do as I Say Not as I Do: A Critique of G-7 Proposals on Reforming the MDBs," Working Papers 16, Center for Global Development.
- Sharun Mukand & Dani Rodrik, 2002.
"In Search of the Holy Grail: Policy Convergence, Experimentation, and Economic Performance,"
NBER Working Papers
9134, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Sharun W. Mukand & Dani Rodrik, 2005. "In Search of the Holy Grail: Policy Convergence, Experimentation, and Economic Performance," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 95(1), pages 374-383, March.
- Mukand, Sharun W. & Rodrik, Dani, 2002. "In Search of the Holy Grail: Policy Convergence, Experimentation and Economic Performance," CEPR Discussion Papers 3525, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Mukand, Sharun & Rodrik, Dani, 2002. "In Search of the Holy Grail: Policy Convergence, Experimentation and Economic Performance," Working Paper Series rwp02-027, Harvard University, John F. Kennedy School of Government.
- Sachs Jeffrey, 1995. "Reforms in Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union in Light of the East Asian Experience," Journal of the Japanese and International Economies, Elsevier, vol. 9(4), pages 454-485, December.
- Jeronimo Zettelmeyer, 1998.
"The Uzbek Growth Puzzle,"
IMF Working Papers
98/133, International Monetary Fund.
- Casella, Alessandra & Eichengreen, Barry, 1994.
"Can Foreign Aid Accelerate Stabilization?,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
961, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Ariel Buira, 2002. "An Analysis of IMF Conditionality," Economics Series Working Papers 104, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Colier, Paul, 1999. "On the Economic Consequences of Civil War," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 51(1), pages 168-183, January.
- Zecchini Salvatore, 1995. "The Role of International Financial Institutions in the Transition Process," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 20(1), pages 116-138, February.
- Richard Pomfret, 2002. "The IMF and the Ruble Zone," Comparative Economic Studies, Palgrave Macmillan;Association for Comparative Economic Studies, vol. 44(4), pages 37-47, December.
- John Luke Gallup & Jeffrey D. Sachs & Andrew Mellinger, 1999. "Geography and Economic Development," CID Working Papers 1, Center for International Development at Harvard University.
- Jeffrey Sachs, 1995. "Reforms in Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union in Light of the East Asian Experiences," CASE Network Studies and Analyses 0039, CASE-Center for Social and Economic Research.
- Philip R. Lane & Aaron Tornell, 1999. "The Voracity Effect," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 89(1), pages 22-46, March.
- John Luke Gallup & Jeffrey D. Sachs & Andrew D. Mellinger, 1999. "Geography and Economic Development," International Regional Science Review, SAGE Publishing, vol. 22(2), pages 179-232, August.
- Gallup, J.L. & Sachs, J.D. & Mullinger, A., 1999. "Geography and Economic Development," Papers 1, Chicago - Graduate School of Business.
- Falcetti, Elisabetta & Raiser, Martin & Sanfey, Peter, 2002. "Defying the Odds: Initial Conditions, Reforms, and Growth in the First Decade of Transition," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(2), pages 229-250, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:tcd:tcduee:20033. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Patricia Hughes)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.