Are Per Capita CO2 Emissions Increasing Among OECD Countries? A Test of Trends and Breaks
We empirically analyze the trend characteristics of per capita CO2 emissions in OECD countries from 1971 to 2009. We use a statistically robust procedure, which is valid regardless of whether per capita CO2 emissions are trend stationary or contain a stochastic trend, to test for the presence of a deterministic trend and a structural break in the trend. Our results suggest that the trend in per capita CO2 emissions shifts downward or is reversed for a number of OECD countries either after the 1970s oil shocks or during the early to mid-2000s.
|Date of creation:||29 Sep 2013|
|Date of revision:||29 Sep 2013|
|Publication status:||Published by the University of Tasmania. Discussion paper 2013-09|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Private Bag 85, Hobart, Tasmania 7001|
Phone: +61 3 6226 7672
Fax: +61 3 6226 7587
Web page: http://www.utas.edu.au/business-and-economics
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Burke, Paul J., 2010.
"Income, resources, and electricity mix,"
Elsevier, vol. 32(3), pages 616-626, May.
- Vollebergh, Herman R.J. & Melenberg, Bertrand & Dijkgraaf, Elbert, 2009. "Identifying reduced-form relations with panel data: The case of pollution and income," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 58(1), pages 27-42, July.
- Wagner, Martin, 2006.
"The Carbon Kuznets Curve. A Cloudy Picture Emitted by Bad Econometrics?,"
197, Institute for Advanced Studies.
- Wagner, Martin, 2008. "The carbon Kuznets curve: A cloudy picture emitted by bad econometrics?," Resource and Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(3), pages 388-408, August.
- Martin Wagner & Georg Müller-Fürstenberger, 2004. "The Carbon Kuznets Curve: A Cloudy Picture Emitted by Bad Econometrics?," Diskussionsschriften dp0418, Universitaet Bern, Departement Volkswirtschaft.
- Perron, Pierre & Yabu, Tomoyoshi, 2009.
"Estimating deterministic trends with an integrated or stationary noise component,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 151(1), pages 56-69, July.
- Pierre Perron & Tomoyoshi Yabu, 2007. "Estimating Deterministic Trend with an Integrated or Stationary Noise Component," Boston University - Department of Economics - Working Papers Series WP2007-020, Boston University - Department of Economics.
- Pierre Perron & Tomoyoshi Yabu, . "Estimating Deterministic Trends with an Integrated or Stationary Noise Component," Boston University - Department of Economics - Working Papers Series WP2006-012, Boston University - Department of Economics, revised Feb 2006.
- Pierre Perron & Tomoyoshi Yabu, 2005. "Estimating Deterministric Trends with an Integrated or Stationary Noise Component," Boston University - Department of Economics - Working Papers Series WP2005-037, Boston University - Department of Economics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:tas:wpaper:17518. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Vitali Alexeev)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.