World Rankings of Comparative Advantage in Service Exports
World service exports have grown at a rapid rate over the past few decades. While some countries have benefited from the surge in service exports, others have been left behind. This paper provides a snapshot of the current state of trade in services using three measures of the Balassa index to reveal comparative advantage, both by country and by service sector. Ranking tables are reported for countries with a GDP above $100 billion in 2005, although 147 countries are included in the analysis. (The full results are provided in the appendix). An overview of the performance of G8 and O5 countries is also provided.
|Date of creation:||2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Fax: +27 (0)21-808 2409
Web page: http://www.ekon.sun.ac.za
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Poonam Gupta & James P. F. Gordon, 2004. "Understanding Indiaâ€™s Services Revolution," IMF Working Papers 04/171, International Monetary Fund.
- Frank Leung & Kevin Chow & Jessica Szeto & Dickson Tam, 2008. "Service Exports: The Next Engine of Growth For Hong Kong?," Working Papers 0804, Hong Kong Monetary Authority.
- Hoekman, Bernard & Mattoo, Aaditya, 2008. "Services trade and growth," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4461, The World Bank.
- Meyer, Thomas, 2007.
"India's specialisation in IT exports: Offshoring can't defy gravity,"
27, Deutsche Bank Research.
- Meyer, Thomas, 2007. "India's specialisation in IT exports: Offshoring can't defy gravity," MPRA Paper 5780, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Belay Seyoum, 2007. "Revealed comparative advantage and competitiveness in services: A study with special emphasis on developing countries," Journal of Economic Studies, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 34(5), pages 376-388, November.
- Keld Laursen, 1998. "Revealed Comparative Advantage and the Alternatives as Measures of International Specialisation," DRUID Working Papers 98-30, DRUID, Copenhagen Business School, Department of Industrial Economics and Strategy/Aalborg University, Department of Business Studies.
- Catherine L. Mann, 2004. "The US Current Account, New Economy Services, and Implications for Sustainability," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 12(2), pages 262-276, 05.
- Banga Rashmi, 2005. "Trade in Services: A Review," Global Economy Journal, De Gruyter, vol. 5(2), pages 1-24, June.
- Thomas Vollrath, 1991. "A theoretical evaluation of alternative trade intensity measures of revealed comparative advantage," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 127(2), pages 265-280, June.
- Svaleryd, Helena & Vlachos, Jonas, 2005. "Financial markets, the pattern of industrial specialization and comparative advantage: Evidence from OECD countries," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 49(1), pages 113-144, January.
- Langhammer, Rolf J., 2002. "Developing Countries as Exporters of Services: What Trade Statistics Suggest," Journal of Economic Integration, Center for Economic Integration, Sejong University, vol. 17, pages 297-310.
- Catherine Yap Co, 2007. "US Exports of Knowledge-intensive Services and Importing-country Characteristics," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 15(5), pages 890-904, November.
- P. K. M. Tharakan & Ilke Van Beveren & Tom Van Ourti, 2005. "Determinants of India's Software Exports and Goods Exports," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 87(4), pages 776-780, November.
- Baldwin, Robert E, 1971. "Determinants of the Commodity Structure of U.S. Trade," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 61(1), pages 126-46, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:sza:wpaper:wpapers75. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Melt van Schoor)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.