Competitiveness of Pakistani Fruits in the World Market
This paper examines the global competitiveness of Pakistan’s fruit exports (dates, mangoes, and oranges), using revealed comparative advantage (RCA). It also analyzes domestic consumption trends among selected fruits grown by major exporters. Our results indicate that Pakistan has a comparative advantage in fruit exports. Comparing the movement in comparative advantage indices for Pakistan with those of its main exporters/competitors demonstrates that Pakistan has a relatively high comparative and competitive advantage in the production of dates and mangoes. The increasing trend of competitiveness in Pakistan indicates that there is potential for higher growth; given that fruit exports are a potential source of higher exports earnings, there is a need to strengthen competitiveness in this sector.
Volume (Year): 14 (2009)
Issue (Month): 2 (Jul-Dec)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Intersection Main Boulevard Phase VI DHA and Burki Road, Lahore|
Phone: (92-42) 6560939
Web page: http://www.lahoreschoolofeconomics.edu.pk/EconomicsJournal/LJEIntro.aspx
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bent Dalum & Keld Laursen & Gert Villumsen, 1998. "Structural Change in OECD Export Specialisation Patterns: de-specialisation and 'stickiness'," International Review of Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 12(3), pages 423-443.
- Siegfried Bender & Kui-Wai Li, 2002. "The Changing Trade and Revealed Comparative Advantages of Asian and Latin American Manufacture Exports," Working Papers 843, Economic Growth Center, Yale University.
- Thomas Vollrath, 1991. "A theoretical evaluation of alternative trade intensity measures of revealed comparative advantage," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer;Institut für Weltwirtschaft (Kiel Institute for the World Economy), vol. 127(2), pages 265-280, June.
- Hsu, Jane Lu & Wann, Joyce J., 2001. "Competitiveness And Consumer Preferences Of Us Fruits In Taiwan," 2001 Annual meeting, August 5-8, Chicago, IL 20488, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Keld Laursen, 1998. "Revealed Comparative Advantage and the Alternatives as Measures of International Specialisation," DRUID Working Papers 98-30, DRUID, Copenhagen Business School, Department of Industrial Economics and Strategy/Aalborg University, Department of Business Studies.
- Akhtar, Muhammad Ramzan, 1999. "Effects of Trade Liberalization on Agriculture in Pakistan: Commodity Aspects," Working Papers 32697, United Nations Centre for Alleviation of Poverty Through Secondary Crops' Development in Asia and the Pacific (CAPSA).
- Frohberg, Klaus & Hartmann, Monika, 1997. "Comparing measures of competitiveness," IAMO Discussion Papers 2, Leibniz Institute of Agricultural Development in Central and Eastern Europe (IAMO).
- Ferto, Imre & Hubbard, Lionel J., 2003. "The Dynamics Of Agri-Food Trade Patterns - The Hungarian Case," 2003 Annual Meeting, August 16-22, 2003, Durban, South Africa 25851, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Scott, Linda & Vollrath, Thomas, 1992. "Global Competitive Advantages and Overall Bilateral Complementarity in Agriculture," Statistical Bulletin 154792, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service.
- Vollrath, Thomas L., 1985. "Dynamics of Comparative Advantage and the Resistance to Free Trade," Foreign Agricultural Economic Report (FAER) 147534, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:lje:journl:v:14:y:2009:i:2:p:125-133. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shahid Salahuddin)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.