Measuring potential output for the South African economy: Embedding information about the financial cycle
In a recent paper, Borio et al (2013a) show that information embedded in the financial cycle can serve to improve measures of potential output and output gaps. It is argued that output may be on an unsustainable path despite low and stable inflation if financial imbalances are accumulating. Borio et al (2013a) show that incorporating information on the financial cycle yields measures of potential output and output gaps for the US, UK and Spain that are estimated more precisely and are more robust in real time. With its well-developed financial markets and relatively open capital markets, the South African economy is potentially susceptible to the build-up of the sort of financial imbalances that characterised the recent financial crisis. However, existing measures of the output gap for South Africa do not generally incorporate information on the financial cycle. Using the framework developed in Borio et al (2013a), a finance-neutral measure of the output gap is estimated for South Africa. The traditional HP-filter is extended to incorporate information on credit and property prices. Including financial cycle proxies result in output gaps that are estimated more precisely and are more robust to data revisions and the arrival of new data points (i.e. estimated output gaps are more robust in real time), while also reflecting the impact of financial variables on economic activity. As such, the estimated finance-neutral output gap seems to represent a more appropriate measure on which to base monetary policy decisions than the traditional inflation-neutral measures prevalent in the literature.
|Date of creation:||2014|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Private Bag X1, 7602 Matieland|
Fax: +27 (0)21-808 2409
Web page: http://www.ekon.sun.ac.za
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Blanchard, Olivier Jean & Quah, Danny, 1989.
"The Dynamic Effects of Aggregate Demand and Supply Disturbances,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 79(4), pages 655-673, September.
- Olivier Jean Blanchard & Danny Quah, 1988. "The Dynamic Effects of Aggregate Demand and Supply Disturbance," Working papers 497, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Tom Doan, "undated". "BQDODRAWS: RATS procedure to implement Monte Carlo draws from a VAR with Blanchard-Quah factorization," Statistical Software Components RTS00030, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Tom Doan, "undated". "RATS programs to replicate Blanchard and Quah AER 1989," Statistical Software Components RTZ00017, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Olivier Jean Blanchard & Danny Quah, 1988. "The Dynamic Effects of Aggregate Demand and Supply Disturbances," NBER Working Papers 2737, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Igor Vetlov & Tibor Hlédik & Magnus Jonsson & Henrik Kucsera & Massimiliano Pisani, 2011.
"Potential Output in DSGE Models,"
Bank of Lithuania Working Paper Series
9, Bank of Lithuania.
- Meade, James E., 1977.
"The Meaning of "Internal Balance","
Nobel Prize in Economics documents
1977-2, Nobel Prize Committee.
- David Aikman & Andrew G. Haldane & Benjamin D. Nelson, 2015. "Curbing the Credit Cycle," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 125(585), pages 1072-1109, 06.
- Michael Woodford, 2012. "Inflation Targeting and Financial Stability," NBER Working Papers 17967, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Harvey, A C & Jaeger, A, 1993. "Detrending, Stylized Facts and the Business Cycle," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 8(3), pages 231-247, July-Sept.
- Jessica Kramer and Greg Farrell, 2014. "The reliability of South African real-time output gap estimates," Working Papers 428, Economic Research Southern Africa.
- Mathias Drehmann & Claudio Borio & Kostas Tsatsaronis, 2011.
"Anchoring Countercyclical Capital Buffers: The role of Credit Aggregates,"
International Journal of Central Banking,
International Journal of Central Banking, vol. 7(4), pages 189-240, December.
- Mathias Drehmann & Claudio Borio & Kostas Tsatsaronis, 2011. "Anchoring countercyclical capital buffers: the role of credit aggregates," BIS Working Papers 355, Bank for International Settlements.
- Ruthira Naraidoo & Leroi Raputsoane, 2015.
"Financial markets and the response of monetary policy to uncertainty in South Africa,"
Springer, vol. 49(1), pages 255-278, August.
- Ruthira Naraidoo & Leroi Raputsoane, 2013. "Financial markets and the response of monetary policy to uncertainty in South Africa," Working Papers 201310, University of Pretoria, Department of Economics.
- Claudio Borio & Piti Disyatat & Mikael Juselius, 2015.
"Rethinking potential output: Embedding information about the financial cycle,"
PIER Discussion Papers
5., Puey Ungphakorn Institute for Economic Research, revised Sep 2015.
- Claudio Borio & Frank Piti Disyatat & Mikael Juselius, 2013. "Rethinking potential output: Embedding information about the financial cycle," BIS Working Papers 404, Bank for International Settlements.
- Stan du Plessis & Ben Smit & Federico Sturzenegger, 2008. "Identifying Aggregate Supply and Demand Shocks in South Africa †," Journal of African Economies, Centre for the Study of African Economies (CSAE), vol. 17(5), pages 765-793, November.
- C. B. Du Toit & Renee´ Van Eyden & Marc Ground, 2006. "Does South Africa Have the Potential and Capacity to Grow at 7 Per Cent?: A Labour Market Perspective," Working Papers 200603, University of Pretoria, Department of Economics.
- St-Amant, P. & van Norden, S., 1997. "Measurement of the Output Gap: A Discussion of Recent Research at the Bank of Canada," Technical Reports 79, Bank of Canada.
- Mr Steinbach & Pt Mathuloe & Bw Smit, 2009. "An Open Economy New Keynesian Dsge Model Of The South African Economy," South African Journal of Economics, Economic Society of South Africa, vol. 77(2), pages 207-227, 06.
- Tetsuya Konuki, 2008. "Estimating Potential Output and the Output Gap in Slovakia," IMF Working Papers 08/275, International Monetary Fund.
- Ben Smit & Le Roux Burrows, 2002. "Estimating potential output and output gaps for the South African economy," Working Papers 05/2002, Stellenbosch University, Department of Economics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:sza:wpaper:wpapers208. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Melt van Schoor)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.