Aid and development: Issues and reflections
The paper has three main sections. The first is a review of two particular propositions which appear in Dambisa Moyoâ€™s 2009 book Dead Aid which were not subjected to rigorous analysis in the reviews which appeared following its publication. The finding is that neither proposition survives serious scrutiny â€“ that aid is responsible for most of sub-Saharan Africaâ€™s economic woes and that the international bond market represents a viable alternative to foreign aid for the finance of development-oriented investment. The second questions some of the characteristics and uses of the World Bankâ€™s Country Policy and Institutional Assessment (CPIA), particularly focussing on the use of an essentially ordinal measure in cardinal applications. The third subjects the UK Department for International Developmentâ€™s Needs-Effectiveness Index to critical review, concluding that further consideration of its attributes is necessary.
|Date of creation:||Jun 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Sir William Duncan Building, 130 Rottenrow, Glasgow G4 0GE|
Phone: +44 (0)141 548 3842
Fax: +44 (0)141 548 4445
Web page: http://www.strath.ac.uk/economics/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Rodríguez, Francisco & Rodrik, Dani, 1999.
"Trade Policy and Economic Growth: A Sceptic's Guide to the Cross-National Evidence,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
2143, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Francisco Rodriguez & Dani Rodrik, 2001. "Trade Policy and Economic Growth: A Skeptic's Guide to the Cross-National Evidence," NBER Chapters, in: NBER Macroeconomics Annual 2000, Volume 15, pages 261-338 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Francisco Rodriguez & Dani Rodrik, 1999. "Trade Policy and Economic Growth: a Skeptic's Guide to the Cross-National Evidence," Working Papers 9912, Economic Research Forum, revised Apr 1999.
- David Dollar & Craig Burnside, 2000.
"Aid, Policies, and Growth,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 90(4), pages 847-868, September.
- Dani Rodrik, 2006.
"Goodbye Washington Consensus, Hello Washington Confusion? A Review of the World Bank's Economic Growth in the 1990s: Learning from a Decade of Reform,"
Journal of Economic Literature,
American Economic Association, vol. 44(4), pages 973-987, December.
- Dani Rodrik, 2008. "Goodbye Washington Consensus, Hello Washington Confusion? A Review of the World Banks Economic Growth in the 1990s: Learning from a Decade of Reform," Panoeconomicus, Savez ekonomista Vojvodine, Novi Sad, Serbia, vol. 55(2), pages 135-156, June.
- World Bank, 2011. "World Development Report 2011," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 4389, October.
- Geof Wood & Meera Tiwari & Ravi Kanbur & Andy Sumner, 2012. "Poor Countries Or Poor People? Development Assistance And The New Geography Of Global Poverty," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 24(6), pages 686-695, 08.
- AfDB AfDB, . "African Development Report 2008/2009," African Development Report, African Development Bank, number 25 edited by Adeleke Oluwole Salami, 12.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:str:wpaper:1309. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Kirsty Hall)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.