Heterogeneity in Returns to Scale: A Random Coefficient Analysis with Unbalanced Panel Data
This paper analyses the importance of scale economies by means of unbalanced plant-level panel data from three Norwegian manufacturing industries. Focus is on heterogeneous technologies, and unlike most previous work on micro data, the model description includes heterogeneity in both the scale properties (the slope coefficients) and the intercept term, represented by random coefficients in the production function. Three (nested) functional forms are investigated: the Translog, an extended Cobb-Douglas, and the strict Cobb-Douglas. Although constant or weakly increasing returns to scale is found for the average plant, the results reveal considerable variation across plants. Variations in both input and scale elasticities are to a larger extent due to randomness of the production function parameters than to systematic differences in the input mix.
|Date of creation:||Dec 2000|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: P.O.Box 8131 Dep, N-0033 Oslo, Norway|
Phone: (+47) 21 09 00 00
Fax: +47 - 62 88 55 95
Web page: http://www.ssb.no/en/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Erik Biørn & Kjersti-Gro Lindquist & Terje Skjerpen, 2000. "Micro Data On Capital Inputs: Attempts to Reconcile Stock and Flow Information," Discussion Papers 268, Statistics Norway, Research Department.
- Matyas, Laszlo & Lovrics, Laszlo, 1991. "Missing observations and panel data : A Monte-Carlo analysis," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 37(1), pages 39-44, September.
- Badi H. Baltagi & Seuck H. Song & Byoung C. Jung, 2002. "A comparative study of alternative estimators for the unbalanced two-way error component regression model," Econometrics Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 5(2), pages 480-493, 06.
- Hsiao, Cheng, 1975. "Some Estimation Methods for a Random Coefficient Model," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 43(2), pages 305-325, March.
- Mundlak, Yair, 1996. "Production Function Estimation: Reviving the Primal," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 64(2), pages 431-438, March.
- Donald W. K. Andrews, 1999. "Estimation When a Parameter Is on a Boundary," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 67(6), pages 1341-1384, November.
- repec:adr:anecst:y:2003:i:69:p:03 is not listed on IDEAS
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ssb:dispap:292. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (L MaasÃ¸)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.