Estimating SUR Systems with Random Coefficients: The Unbalanced Panel Data Case
A system of regression equations (SURE) for analyzing panel data with random heterogeneity in intercepts and coefficients, and unbalanced panel data is considered. A Maximum Likelihood (ML) procedure for joint estimation of all parameters is described. Since its implementation for numerical computation is complicated, simplified procedures are presented. The simplifications essentially concern the estimation of the covariance matrices of the random coefficients. The application and ‘anatomy’ of the proposed algorithm for modified ML estimation is illustrated by using panel data for output, inputs and costs for 111 manufacturing firms observed up to 22 years.
|Date of creation:||28 Aug 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Department of Economics, University of Oslo, P.O Box 1095 Blindern, N-0317 Oslo, Norway|
Phone: 22 85 51 27
Fax: 22 85 50 35
Web page: http://www.oekonomi.uio.no/indexe.html
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Erik Biørn & Kjersti-Gro Lindquist & Terje Skjerpen, 2000.
"Heterogeneity in Returns to Scale: A Random Coefficient Analysis with Unbalanced Panel Data,"
292, Statistics Norway, Research Department.
- Erik Biørn & Kjersti-Gro Lindquist & Terje Skjerpen, 2002. "Heterogeneity in Returns to Scale: A Random Coefficient Analysis with Unbalanced Panel Data," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 18(1), pages 39-57, July.
- Baltagi, Badi H, 1980. "On Seemingly Unrelated Regressions with Error Components," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(6), pages 1547-51, September.
- Baltagi, Badi H., 1985. "Pooling cross-sections with unequal time-series lengths," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 18(2-3), pages 133-136.
- Hsiao, Cheng, 1975. "Some Estimation Methods for a Random Coefficient Model," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 43(2), pages 305-25, March.
- Wansbeek, Tom & Kapteyn, Arie, 1989. "Estimation of the error-components model with incomplete panels," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 41(3), pages 341-361, July.
- Erik Biørn & Terje Hagen & Tor Iversen & Jon Magnussen, 2010. "How different are hospitals’ responses to a financial reform? The impact on efficiency of activity-based financing," Health Care Management Science, Springer, vol. 13(1), pages 1-16, March.
- Avery, Robert B, 1977. "Error Components and Seemingly Unrelated Regressions," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 45(1), pages 199-209, January.
- Wansbeek, Tom & Kapteyn, Arie, 1982. "A Class of Decompositions of the Variance-Covariance Matrix of a Generalized Error Components Model," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(3), pages 713-24, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hhs:osloec:2012_022. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Magnus Gabriel Aase)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.