Aggregation and Aggregation Biases in Production Functions: A Panel Data Analysis of Translog Models
An applied econometric study of aggregation, based on an unbalanced panel data set for manu-facturing plants is presented. Panel data are informative in examining aggregation of variables, parameters, and relationships empirically since they (i) allow estimation at both the micro and the macro level, and (ii) enable comparison of the time series properties of the exactly aggre- gated micro relationships with those obtained by performing aggregation by analogy. Numerical aggregation of Translog production functions for three manufacturing industries is considered. We show, under linear aggregation of inputs and output, that departures between geometric and arithmetic means of the inputs and correlation between the log-inputs, both their levels and time paths, contribute substantially to aggregation biases in the output volume and instability of the derived input and scale elasticities. Hence, the existence and stability of an approximate "macro Translog production function" over time can be questioned.
|Date of creation:||Apr 2002|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: P.O.Box 8131 Dep, N-0033 Oslo, Norway|
Phone: (+47) 21 09 00 00
Fax: +47 - 62 88 55 95
Web page: http://www.ssb.no/en/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Erik Biørn & Kjersti-Gro Lindquist & Terje Skjerpen, 2000. "Micro Data On Capital Inputs: Attempts to Reconcile Stock and Flow Information," Discussion Papers 268, Statistics Norway, Research Department.
- Stoker, Thomas M, 1993. "Empirical Approaches to the Problem of Aggregation Over Individuals," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 31(4), pages 1827-1874, December.
- Erik Biørn & Kjersti-Gro Lindquist & Terje Skjerpen, 2002.
"Heterogeneity in Returns to Scale: A Random Coefficient Analysis with Unbalanced Panel Data,"
Journal of Productivity Analysis,
Springer, vol. 18(1), pages 39-57, July.
- Erik Biørn & Kjersti-Gro Lindquist & Terje Skjerpen, 2000. "Heterogeneity in Returns to Scale: A Random Coefficient Analysis with Unbalanced Panel Data," Discussion Papers 292, Statistics Norway, Research Department.
- Klette, Tor Jakob & Griliches, Zvi, 1996. "The Inconsistency of Common Scale Estimators When Output Prices Are Unobserved and Endogenous," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 11(4), pages 343-361, July-Aug..
- Klette, T.J., 1992. "The Inconsistency of Common Scale Estimators when Output Prices are unobserved and Endogenous," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1586, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Tor Jakob Klette & Zvi Griliches, 1992. "The Inconsistency of Common Scale Estimators When Output Prices Are Unobserved and Engogenous," NBER Working Papers 4026, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Tor Jakob Klette & Zvi Griliches, 1994. "The Inconsistency of Common Scales Estimators when Output Prices are Unobserved and Endogenous," Discussion Papers 127, Statistics Norway, Research Department.
- Hildenbrand, Werner, 1998. "How relevant are specifications of behavioral relations on the micro-level for modelling the time path of population aggregates?," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 42(3-5), pages 437-458, May.
- Erik Biorn & Kjerti-Gro Lindquist & Terje Skjerpen, 2003. "Random Coefficients in Unbalanced Panels: An Application on Data from Chemical Plants," Annals of Economics and Statistics, GENES, issue 69, pages 55-83.
- Bertrand Koebel, 1998. "Tests of Representative Firm Models: Results for German Manufacturing Industries," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 10(3), pages 251-270, November.
- Koebel, Bertrand M., 1996. "Tests of representative firm models: results for German manufacturing industries," ZEW Discussion Papers 96-16, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Arthur Lewbel, 1992. "Aggregation with Log-Linear Models," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 59(3), pages 635-642.
- Hildenbrand, Werner, 1981. "Short-Run Production Functions Based on Microdata," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 49(5), pages 1095-1125, September.
- Hildenbrand, W. & Kneip, A., 1999. "Demand aggregation under structural stability," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 31(1), pages 81-109, February.
- Muysken, Joan, 1983. "The distribution approach to the aggregation of putty-clay production functions," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 22(3), pages 351-362.
- John Muellbauer, 1975. "Aggregation, Income Distribution and Consumer Demand," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 42(4), pages 525-543.
- Lau, Lawrence J., 1982. "A note on the fundamental theorem of exact aggregation," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 9(2), pages 119-126. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ssb:dispap:317. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (L MaasÃ¸)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.