Likelihood inference in an Autoregression with fixed effects
We calculate the bias of the profile score for the regression coefficients in a multistratum autoregressive model with stratum-specific intercepts. The bias is free of incidental parameters. Centering the profile score delivers an unbiased estimating equation and, upon integration, an adjusted profile likelihood. A variety of other approaches to constructing modified profile likelihoods are shown to yield equivalent results. However, the global maximizer of the adjusted likelihood lies at infinity for any sample size, and the adjusted profile score has multiple zeros. We argue that the parameters are local maximizers inside or on an ellipsoid centered at the maximum likelihood estimator.
|Date of creation:||Jan 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.sciencespo.fr/|
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Manuel Arellano & Stephane Bonhomme, 2006.
"Robust Priors In Nonlinear Panel Data Models,"
- Manuel Arellano, 2003.
"Discrete choices with panel data,"
Fundación SEPI, vol. 27(3), pages 423-458, September.
- Bun M.J.G. & Carree M.A., 2002.
"Bias-corrected estimation in dynamic panel data models,"
025, Maastricht University, Maastricht Research School of Economics of Technology and Organization (METEOR).
- Bun, Maurice J.G. & Carree, Martin A., 2005. "Bias-Corrected Estimation in Dynamic Panel Data Models," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 23, pages 200-210, April.
- Sargan, J D, 1983. "Identification and Lack of Identification," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 51(6), pages 1605-33, November.
- Tiemen Woutersen, 2002. "Robustness against Incidental Parameters," UWO Department of Economics Working Papers 20028, University of Western Ontario, Department of Economics.
- Bester, C. Alan & Hansen, Christian, 2009. "A Penalty Function Approach to Bias Reduction in Nonlinear Panel Models with Fixed Effects," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 27(2), pages 131-148.
- Nickell, Stephen J, 1981. "Biases in Dynamic Models with Fixed Effects," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 49(6), pages 1417-26, November.
- N. Sartori, 2003. "Modified profile likelihoods in models with stratum nuisance parameters," Biometrika, Biometrika Trust, vol. 90(3), pages 533-549, September.
- Tiemen Woutersen & Marcel Voia, 2002. "Adaptive Estimation of the Dynamic Linear Model with Fixed Effects," UWO Department of Economics Working Papers 200210, University of Western Ontario, Department of Economics.
- Lancaster, Tony, 2002. "Orthogonal Parameters and Panel Data," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 69(3), pages 647-66, July.
- Tony Lancaster, 2002. "Orthogonal Parameters and Panel Data," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 69(3), pages 647-666.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:spo:wpmain:info:hdl:2441/dambferfb7dfprc9m052g20qh. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Spire @ Sciences Po Library)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.