A comprehensive approach towards academic failure: the case of Mathematics I in ISEG graduation
Despite the enormous progress in graduation completion rates along the last decade, academic failure in Portuguese Higher Education is still attracting concern. This is particularly true for some 1st. year critical subjects as Mathematics. Most research and analyses on the issue are focused upon either the “academic” or the “non academic” determinants of failure whilst it becomes more and more obvious that the explanation, or at least an important part of it, resides in the interaction between those two sets of features. Having developed previous research on the basis of the former factors to elucidate failure rate in ISEG graduation, we are now analyzing the joint influence of both kind of determinants. For that purpose we rely upon students’ information retrieved from ISEG Pedagogical Observatory Database and the outputs of a Survey on Attitudes Towards Mathematics 1 (SATM 1) which has been especially redesigned and addressed to 1st. year students.
|Date of creation:||Jun 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Fax: +351-213 925 850
Web page: http://pascal.iseg.utl.pt/~socius/home.htmlEmail:
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Chagas Lopes, Margarida & Medeiros, João, 2004. "School Failure and Intergenerational “Human Capital” Transmission in Portugal," MPRA Paper 26764, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Eric A. Hanushek, 1979. "Conceptual and Empirical Issues in the Estimation of Educational Production Functions," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 14(3), pages 351-388.
- Philippe Belley & Lance Lochner, 2007.
"The Changing Role of Family Income and Ability in Determining Educational Achievement,"
NBER Working Papers
13527, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Philippe Belley & Lance Lochner, 2007. "The Changing Role of Family Income and Ability in Determining Educational Achievement," Journal of Human Capital, University of Chicago Press, vol. 1(1), pages 37-89.
- Philippe Belley & Lance Lochner, 2008. "The Changing Role of Family Income and Ability in Determining Educational Achievement," University of Western Ontario, CIBC Centre for Human Capital and Productivity Working Papers 20081, University of Western Ontario, CIBC Centre for Human Capital and Productivity.
- Philippe Belley & Lance Lochner, 2007. "The Changing Role of Family Income and Ability in Determining Educational Achievement," Working Papers 2011-037, Human Capital and Economic Opportunity Working Group.
- Belley, Phillippe & Lochner, Lance, 2009. "The Changing Role of Family Income and Ability in Determining Educational Achievement," CLSSRN working papers clsrn_admin-2009-9, Vancouver School of Economics, revised 02 Feb 2009.
- Chaga Lopes, Margarida & Fernandes, Graca, 2010.
"Success/Failure in Higher Education:how long does it take to complete some core 1st. year disciplines?,"
21953, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Margarida Chagas Lopes & Fernandes Graça Leão, 2010. "Success/failure in Higher Education: How Long Does it Takes to Complete Some Core 1st. Year Disciplines?," Journal of Research in Educational Sciences, ASERS Publishing, vol. 0(1), pages 32-50, June.
- Leão Fernandes, Graça & Chagas Lopes, Margarida, 2008. "ISEG Undergraduate Students: Determinants of Academic Performance," MPRA Paper 22082, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Vincent Vandenberghe, 2007. "Family Income and Tertiary Education Attendance across the EU: An empirical assessment using sibling data," CASE Papers /123, Centre for Analysis of Social Exclusion, LSE.
- Siegel, Donald S. & Waldman, David & Link, Albert, 2003. "Assessing the impact of organizational practices on the relative productivity of university technology transfer offices: an exploratory study," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 32(1), pages 27-48, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:soc:wpaper:wp062012. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mónica Fraga)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.