International Capital Flows and Aggregate Output
We show in a tractable, multi-country OLG model that cross-country differences in financial development explain three recent empirical patterns of international capital fl ows. International capital mobility affects output in each country directly through the size of domestic investment as well as indirectly through the composition of domestic investment and the level of domestic savings. In contrast to earlier literature, our model admits the possibility that the indirect effects dominate the direct effects and international capital mobility raises output in the poor country and globally, although net capital flows are in the direction of the rich country. Our model adds to the understanding of the benefits of international capital mobility in the presence of financial frictions.
|Date of creation:||Dec 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published in SMU Economics and Statistics Working Paper Series|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 65-6828 0832
Fax: 65-6828 0833
Web page: http://www.economics.smu.edu.sg/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Email: |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Cédric Tille & Eric van Wincoop, 2008.
"International Capital Flows under Dispersed Information: Theory and Evidence,"
NBER Working Papers
14390, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Tille, Cédric & van Wincoop, Eric, 2008. "International Capital Flows under Dispersed Information: Theory and Evidence," CEPR Discussion Papers 6989, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Devereux, Michael B. & Sutherland, Alan, 2009.
"A portfolio model of capital flows to emerging markets,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 89(2), pages 181-193, July.
- Michael B Devereux & Alan Sutherland, 2009. "A Portfolio Model of Capital Flows to Emerging Markets," Working Papers 082009, Hong Kong Institute for Monetary Research.
- Francisco J. Buera & Yongseok Shin, 2009. "Productivity Growth and Capital Flows: The Dynamics of Reforms," NBER Working Papers 15268, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Barlevy, Gadi, 2003. "Credit market frictions and the allocation of resources over the business cycle," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 50(8), pages 1795-1818, November.
- Matthew Higgins & Thomas Klitgaard & Cédric Tille, 2006. "Borrowing without debt? Understanding the U.S. international investment position," Staff Reports 271, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Kosuke Aoki & Gianluca Benigno & Nobuhiro Kiyotaki, 2009.
"Capital flows and asset prices,"
LSE Research Online Documents on Economics
25487, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Kosuke Aoki & Gianluca Benigno & Nobuhiro Kiyotaki, 2009. "Capital Flows and Asset Prices," CEP Discussion Papers dp0921, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Kosuke Aoki & Gianluca Benigno & Nobuhiro Kiyotak, 2007. "Capital flows and asset prices," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 3168, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Kjetil Storesletten & Fabrizio Zilibotti & Zheng Song, 2009.
"Growing like China,"
2009 Meeting Papers
912, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Hyeok Jeong & Robert M. Townsend, 2005.
"Sources of TFP Growth: Occupational Choice and Financial Deepening,"
IEPR Working Papers
05.28, Institute of Economic Policy Research (IEPR), revised May 2005.
- Hyeok Jeong & Robert Townsend, 2007. "Sources of TFP growth: occupational choice and financial deepening," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 32(1), pages 179-221, July.
- Robert M. Townsend & Hyeok Jeong, 2007. "Sources of TFP Growth: Occupational Choice and Financial Deepening," 2007 Meeting Papers 198, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Christopher D. Carroll & Olivier Jeanne, 2009.
"A Tractable Model of Precautionary Reserves, Net Foreign Assets, or Sovereign Wealth Funds,"
NBER Working Papers
15228, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Carroll, Christopher D. & Jeanne, Olivier, 2009. "A tractable model of precautionary reserves, net foreign assets, or sovereign wealth funds," CFS Working Paper Series 2009/15, Center for Financial Studies (CFS).
- Christopher D. Carroll & Olivier Jeanne, 2009. "A Tractable Model of Precautionary Reserves, Net Foreign Assets, or Sovereign Wealth Funds," Working Paper Series WP09-10, Peterson Institute for International Economics.
- Carroll, Christopher D & Jeanne, Olivier, 2009. "A Tractable Model of Precautionary Reserves, Net Foreign Assets, or Sovereign Wealth Funds," CEPR Discussion Papers 7449, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Damiano Sandri, 2010. "Growth and Capital Flows with Risky Entrepreneurship," IMF Working Papers 10/37, International Monetary Fund.
- Diego Valderrama & Katherine Smith, 2009. "Why Do Emerging Economies Import Direct Investment and Export Savings? A Story of Financial Underdevelopment," 2009 Meeting Papers 1160, Society for Economic Dynamics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:siu:wpaper:20-2011. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (QL THor)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.