Early Land Redistribution and the Food Security of South African Households: Micro-econometric evidence from national data
The South African land redistribution program, which was launched in 1994, has been widely criticised for its slow pace as well as its seemingly limited contribution to poverty reduction, but to the best of my knowledge, no econometric evidence of the impact of land redistribution has been provided so far, as it is the case in most countries having experienced this type of policies. This paper presents estimates of the impact of having received a land grant on households´ self-reported difficulties in meeting food needs in the past 12 months, using data from the September 2002 South Africa National Labour Force Survey. Bivariate probit estimates controlling for potential self-selection of land reform beneficiaries indicate that participation in the land grant scheme has increased food insecurity for poorer participants, whilst decreasing it for comparatively better-off participants.
|Date of creation:||Jun 2006|
|Date of revision:||Jun 2006|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 9 Mappin Street, SHEFFIELD, S1 4DT|
Phone: +44 114 222 3399
Fax: + 44 (0)114 222 3458
Web page: http://www.shef.ac.uk/economics
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Deininger, Klaus & May, Julian, 2000. "Can there be growth with equity : an initial assessment of land reform in South Africa," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2451, The World Bank.
- Timothy Besley & Robin Burgess, 2000.
"Land Reform, Poverty Reduction, and Growth: Evidence from India,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
Oxford University Press, vol. 115(2), pages 389-430.
- Timothy Besley & Robin Burgess, 1998. "Land Reform, Poverty Reduction and Growth: Evidence from India," STICERD - Development Economics Papers - From 2008 this series has been superseded by Economic Organisation and Public Policy Discussion Papers 13, Suntory and Toyota International Centres for Economics and Related Disciplines, LSE.
- Timothy Besley & Robin Burgess, 1998. "Land reform, poverty reduction and growth : evidence from India," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 2018, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Smith, Lisa C. & Ruel, Marie T. & Ndiaye, Aida, 2005. "Why Is Child Malnutrition Lower in Urban Than in Rural Areas? Evidence from 36 Developing Countries," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 33(8), pages 1285-1305, August.
- Wilde, Joachim, 2000. "Identification of multiple equation probit models with endogenous dummy regressors," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 69(3), pages 309-312, December.
- Deininger, Klaus & Jin, Songqing & Nagarajan, Hari K., 2007.
"Land reforms, poverty reduction, and economic growth : evidence from India,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
4448, The World Bank.
- K. Deininger & S. Jin & H. K. Nagarajan, 2009. "Land Reforms, Poverty Reduction, and Economic Growth: Evidence from India," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 45(4), pages 496-521.
- Finan, Frederico & Sadoulet, Elisabeth & de Janvry, Alain, 2005.
"Measuring the poverty reduction potential of land in rural Mexico,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 77(1), pages 27-51, June.
- Finan, Frederico & Sadoulet, Elisabeth & de Janvry, Alain, 2002. "Measuring the poverty reduction potential of land in rural Mexico," CUDARE Working Paper Series 983, University of California at Berkeley, Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics and Policy.
- Finan, Frederico & Sadoulet, Elisabeth & de Janvry, Alain, 2002. "Measuring the Poverty Reduction Potential of Land in Rural Mexico," Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley, Working Paper Series qt6xg1q0dg, Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley.
- Zimmerman, Frederick J., 2000. "Barriers to Participation of the Poor in South Africa's Land Redistribution," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 28(8), pages 1439-1460, August.
- Binswanger, Hans P. & Deininger, Klaus, 1993. "South African land policy: The legacy of history and current options," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 21(9), pages 1451-1475, September.
- Dekker, Marleen, 2004. "Sustainability and Resourcefulness: Support Networks During Periods of Stress," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 32(10), pages 1735-1751, October.
- Aliber, Michael, 2003. "Chronic Poverty in South Africa: Incidence, Causes and Policies," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 473-490, March.
- Nkonya, Ephraim M. & Pender, John L. & Jagger, Pamela & Sserunkuuma, Dick & Kaizzi, Crammer & Ssali, Henry, 2004. "Strategies for sustainable land management and poverty reduction in Uganda:," Research reports 133, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- James Heckman & Hidehiko Ichimura & Jeffrey Smith & Petra Todd, 1998.
"Characterizing Selection Bias Using Experimental Data,"
NBER Working Papers
6699, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- James Heckman & Hidehiko Ichimura & Jeffrey Smith & Petra Todd, 1998. "Characterizing Selection Bias Using Experimental Data," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 66(5), pages 1017-1098, September.
- Hoddinott, John & Haddad, Lawrence, 1995. "Does Female Income Share Influence Household Expenditures? Evidence from Cote d'Ivoire," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 57(1), pages 77-96, February.
- Bradstock, Alastair, 2005. "Changing livelihoods and land reform: Evidence from the Northern Cape province of South Africa," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 33(11), pages 1979-1992, November.
- Eswaran, Mukesh & Kotwal, Ashok, 1986. "Access to Capital and Agrarian Production Organisation," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 96(382), pages 482-98, June.
- Bhattacharya, Jayanta & Currie, Janet & Haider, Steven, 2004. "Poverty, food insecurity, and nutritional outcomes in children and adults," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 23(4), pages 839-862, July.
- Klaus Deininger, 2003. "Land Policies for Growth and Poverty Reduction," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 15125.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:shf:wpaper:2006009. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jacob Holmes)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.