Self-Organization of Trade Networks in an Economy with Imperfect Infrastructure
A multi-agent model is proposed for the analysis of self- organization of trade networks. The model takes into account time spent on transactions (`` trade distance). It is shown that the same set of traders may generate trade networks of different structures depending on average trade distance. When the latter is small, the market is near-competitive, trade structures are flat. When trade distance is large, the set of traders exhibit monopolistic behavior, traders sell only to rich consumers, trades are rather large. Under medium trade distance a phase transition and complex dynamics are observed, including significant price oscillations, regular bursts of shortages and long chains of traders. Emergence of trader market strategies such as stabilizing wholesale traders and destabilizing speculators is discovered. The model is studied both analytically and via computer simulations.
|Date of creation:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Department of Econometrics, University of Geneva, 102 Bd Carl-Vogt, 1211 Geneva 4, Switzerland|
Web page: http://www.unige.ch/ce/ce96/welcome.html
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Evstigneev, I. V. & Taksar, M., 1995.
"Stochastic equilibria on graphs, II,"
Journal of Mathematical Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 24(4), pages 383-406.
- Evstigneev, I. & Taksar, M., 1994. "Stochastic equilibria on graphs, I," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 23(5), pages 401-433, September.
- Evstigneev,Igor & Taksar,Michael, 1992. "Stochastic equilibria on graphs,I," Discussion Paper Serie A 391, University of Bonn, Germany.
- Evstigneev,Igor & Taksar,Michael, 1993. "Stochastic equilibria on graphs II," Discussion Paper Serie A 395, University of Bonn, Germany.
- Rubinstein, Ariel & Wolinsky, Asher, 1985. "Equilibrium in a Market with Sequential Bargaining," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 53(5), pages 1133-1150, September.
- Arial Rubinstein & Asher Wolinsky, 1985. "Equilibrium in a Market with Sequential Bargaining," Levine's Working Paper Archive 623, David K. Levine.