The Introduction Of The Anglo-American Audit Firms In France
The objective of this paper is to trace the development of the French auditing profession, the commissaires aux comptes, focusing on the appearance of the large Anglo-American audit firms on the French market. The French audit market has always shown a number of peculiarities, among which the continued importance of a number of local audit firms. The French audit profession finds its roots in late nineteenth century company law that introduced an obligation for companies to release audited financial statements. The profession of commissaire aux comptes became regulated in its modern form in the 1960s. The paper tries to explain the growing impact of the international audit firms on the French profession, using a framework that relates to internationalisation strategies in service industries. It also demonstrates how local professionals and the French state reacted to these developments.
|Date of creation:||Jun 2006|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: ++ 32 (0) 9 264 34 61
Fax: ++ 32 (0) 9 264 35 92
Web page: http://www.ugent.be/eb
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Eva Wallerstedt, 2001. "The emergence of the Big Five in Sweden," European Accounting Review, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 10(4), pages 843-867.
- Ramirez, Carlos, 2001. "Understanding social closure in its cultural context: accounting practitioners in France (1920-1939)," Accounting, Organizations and Society, Elsevier, vol. 26(4-5), pages 391-418.
- Veronique Weets & Marc Jegers, 1997. "Are the 'Big Six' 'big' in Belgium?," European Accounting Review, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 6(4), pages 773-789.
- Claude Bocqueraz, 2001. "The development of professional associations: the experience of French accountants from the 1880s to the 1940s," Accounting History Review, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 11(1), pages 7-27.
- Peter J Buckley & Mark C Casson, 1998. "Analyzing Foreign Market Entry Strategies: Extending the Internalization Approach," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 29(3), pages 539-561, September.
- A L Calvet, 1981. "A Synthesis of Foreign Direct Investment Theories and Theories of the Multinational Firm," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 12(1), pages 43-59, March.
- Keith D. Brouthers & Lance Eliot Brouthers, 2003. "Why Service and Manufacturing Entry Mode Choices Differ: The Influence of Transaction Cost Factors, Risk and Trust," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 40(5), pages 1179-1204, 07.
- Craswell, Allen T. & Francis, Jere R. & Taylor, Stephen L., 1995. "Auditor brand name reputations and industry specializations," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 20(3), pages 297-322, December.
- Alain Mikol, 1993. "The evolution of auditing and the independent auditor in France," European Accounting Review, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 2(1), pages 1-16.
- W Chan Kim & Peter Hwang, 1992. "Global Strategy and Multinationals' Entry Mode Choice," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 23(1), pages 29-53, March.
- Sanjeev Agarwal & Sridhar N Ramaswami, 1992. "Choice of Foreign Market Entry Mode: Impact of Ownership, Location and Internationalization Factors," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 23(1), pages 1-27, March.
- Charles Piot, 2001. "Agency costs and audit quality: evidence from France," European Accounting Review, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 10(3), pages 461-499.
- Eichenseher, John W. & Shields, David, 1985. "Corporate director liability and monitoring preferences," Journal of Accounting and Public Policy, Elsevier, vol. 4(1), pages 13-31.
- J J Boddewyn & Marsha Baldwin Halbrich & A C Perry, 1986. "Service Multinationals: Conceptualization, Measurement and Theory," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 17(3), pages 41-57, September.
- Watts, Ross L & Zimmerman, Jerold L, 1983. "Agency Problems, Auditing, and the Theory of the Firm: Some Evidence," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 26(3), pages 613-33, October.
- Brouthers, Keith D. & Brouthers, Lance Eliot & Werner, Steve, 2002. "Industrial sector, perceived environmental uncertainty and entry mode strategy," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 55(6), pages 495-507, June.
- Erin Anderson & Hubert Gatignon, 1986. "Modes of Foreign Entry: A Transaction Cost Analysis and Propositions," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 17(3), pages 1-26, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:rug:rugwps:06/392. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Nathalie Verhaeghe)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.