The role of top management team international orientation in international strategic decision-making: The choice of foreign entry mode
By applying the upper echelons perspective to international strategic decision-making, we examine the impact of managerial characteristics on the choice of foreign entry mode. We distinguish between top management team (TMT) international experience and nationality diversity and propose the latter as a central yet understudied aspect of TMT composition that influences international decision-making with regard to choice of entry mode in a unique way. Our results show that while TMTs with international experience are more likely to choose full-control entry modes over shared-control entry modes, nationally diverse TMTs are more inclined to opt for shared-control over full-control entry modes when entering foreign markets. This highlights the need to treat TMT nationality diversity and international experience as two distinct characteristics influencing international strategic decision-making.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 46 (2011)
Issue (Month): 2 (April)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/620401/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/620401/bibliographic|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Globerman, Steven & Nielsen, Bo Bernhard, 2007. "Equity versus non-equity international strategic alliances involving Danish firms: An empirical investigation of the relative importance of partner and host country determinants," Journal of International Management, Elsevier, vol. 13(4), pages 449-471, December.
- W Chan Kim & Peter Hwang, 1992. "Global Strategy and Multinationals' Entry Mode Choice," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 23(1), pages 29-53, March.
- Pol Herrmann & Deepak K. Datta, 2006. "CEO Experiences: Effects on the Choice of FDI Entry Mode," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 43(4), pages 755-778, 06.
- Yadong Luo, 2001. "Determinants of Entry in an Emerging Economy: A Multilevel Approach," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 38(3), pages 443-472, 05.
- Kumar, V. & Subramanian, Velavan, 1997. "A contingency framework for the mode of entry decision," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 32(1), pages 53-72, April.
- Pol Herrmann & Deepak K Datta, 2002. "CEO Successor Characteristics and the Choice of Foreign Market Entry Mode: An Empirical Study," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 33(3), pages 551-569, September.
- Jean-François Hennart, 1991. "The Transaction Costs Theory of Joint Ventures: An Empirical Study of Japanese Subsidiaries in the United States," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 37(4), pages 483-497, April.
- Keith D. Brouthers & Lance Eliot Brouthers, 2003. "Why Service and Manufacturing Entry Mode Choices Differ: The Influence of Transaction Cost Factors, Risk and Trust," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 40(5), pages 1179-1204, 07.
- Gatignon, Hubert & Anderson, Erin, 1988. "The Multinational Corporation's Degree of Control over Foreign Subsidiaries: An Empirical Test of a Transaction Cost Explanation," Journal of Law, Economics and Organization, Oxford University Press, vol. 4(2), pages 305-36, Fall.
- Keith D. Brouthers & Lance Eliot Brouthers & Steve Werner, 2008. "Real Options, International Entry Mode Choice and Performance," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 45(5), pages 936-960, 07.
- Jan Johanson & Jan-Erik Vahlne, 1977. "The Internationalization Process of the Firm—A Model of Knowledge Development and Increasing Foreign Market Commitments," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 8(1), pages 23-32, March.
- Bruce Kogut & Harbir Singh, 1988. "The Effect of National Culture on the Choice of Entry Mode," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 19(3), pages 411-432, September.
- M Krishna Erramilli, 1991. "The Experience Factor in Foreign Market Entry Behavior of Service Firms," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 22(3), pages 479-501, September.
- Erin Anderson & Hubert Gatignon, 1986. "Modes of Foreign Entry: A Transaction Cost Analysis and Propositions," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 17(3), pages 1-26, September.
- Martina Musteen & Deepak K Datta & Pol Herrmann, 2009. "Ownership structure and CEO compensation: Implications for the choice of foreign market entry modes," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 40(2), pages 321-338, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:worbus:v:46:y:2011:i:2:p:185-193. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.