Revisiting the 1992-93 EMS crisis in the context of international political economy
The paper revisits the sequence of events leading to the 1992-93 crisis of the European Monetary System’s Exchange Rate Mechanism in the context of International Political Economy. The paper reconsiders the crisis, emphasising the workings of monetary unions and contemporary financial markets. The lessons to be drawn could help in understanding the contemporary crisis of the Euro area.
|Date of creation:||Oct 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Kingston University London, School of Economics, Penrhyn Road, Kingston upon Thames, Surrey, KT1 2EE, UK|
Web page: http://fass.kingston.ac.uk/departments/economics/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Volz, Ulrich, 2006. "On the feasibility of a regional exchange rate system for East Asia: Lessons of the 1992/1993 EMS crisis," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 17(6), pages 1107-1127, December.
- Svensson, L.E., 1990.
"The Foreign Exchange Risk Premium in a Target Zone with Devaluation Risk,"
475, Stockholm - International Economic Studies.
- Svensson, Lars E. O., 1992. "The foreign exchange risk premium in a target zone with devaluation risk," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(1-2), pages 21-40, August.
- Lars E.O. Svensson, 1990. "The Foreign Exchange Risk Premium in a Target Zone with Devaluation Risk," NBER Working Papers 3466, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Svensson, Lars E O, 1991. "The Foreign Exchange Risk Premium in a Target Zone with Devaluation Risk," CEPR Discussion Papers 494, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Maurice Obstfeld & Jay C. Shambaugh & Alan M. Taylor, 2008.
"Financial Stability, the Trilemma, and International Reserves,"
NBER Working Papers
14217, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Maurice Obstfeld & Jay C. Shambaugh & Alan M. Taylor, 2010. "Financial Stability, the Trilemma, and International Reserves," American Economic Journal: Macroeconomics, American Economic Association, vol. 2(2), pages 57-94, April.
- Obstfeld, Maurice & Shambaugh, Jay C & Taylor, Alan M., 2008. "Financial Stability, the Trilemma, and International Reserves," CEPR Discussion Papers 6693, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Eichengreen, Barry, 2001.
"The EMS Crisis in Retrospect,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
2704, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Goodhart, Charles A. E., 1998. "The two concepts of money: implications for the analysis of optimal currency areas," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 14(3), pages 407-432, August.
- Jacob Gyntelberg & Andreas Schrimpf, 2011. "FX strategies in periods of distress," BIS Quarterly Review, Bank for International Settlements, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ris:kngedp:2012_007. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Andrea Ingianni)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.