What is new in the finance-growth nexus: OTC derivatives, bank assets and growth
We investigate the finance-growth nexus before and around the global financial crisis using for the first time OTC derivative data in growth estimates. Beyond the most recent Wacthel and Rousseau (2010) evidence which documents the interruption of the positive finance-growth relationship after 1989, we show that bank assets contribute indeed negatively, while OTC derivative positively or insignificantly with a much smaller effect in magnitude. At the same time the impact of the crisis is captured by a very strong negative effect of year dummies around the event. Our findings and their discussion aim to provide insights for policy measures aimed at tackling the crisis, disentangling positive from negative effects of derivatives and bank activity on the real economy and restoring the traditional positive link between finance and growth.
|Date of creation:||27 Jun 2012|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: P.le della Vittoria, 15 - 47100 Forlì, Italy|
Phone: +39 0543 62327
Fax: +39 0543 374676
Web page: http://www.aiccon.it/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Peter L. Rousseau & Paul Wachtel, 2011.
"What Is Happening To The Impact Of Financial Deepening On Economic Growth?,"
Western Economic Association International, vol. 49(1), pages 276-288, 01.
- Peter L. Rousseau & Paul Wachtel, 2009. "What is Happening to the Impact of Financial Deepening on Economic Growth?," Vanderbilt University Department of Economics Working Papers 0915, Vanderbilt University Department of Economics.
- Paul Wachtel & Peter L. Rousseau, 2006. "What is happening to the impact of financial deepening on economic growth?," Working Papers 06-15, New York University, Leonard N. Stern School of Business, Department of Economics.
- Greenwood, Jeremy & Jovanovic, Boyan, 1988.
"Financial Development, Growth, And The Distribution Of Income,"
88-12, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- Greenwood, Jeremy & Jovanovic, Boyan, 1990. "Financial Development, Growth, and the Distribution of Income," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 98(5), pages 1076-1107, October.
- Greenwood, J. & Jovanovic, B., 1988. "Financial Development, Growth, And The Distribution Of Income," RCER Working Papers 131, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Greenwood, J. & Jovanovic, B., 1990. "Financial Development, Growth, And The Distribution Of Income," University of Western Ontario, The Centre for the Study of International Economic Relations Working Papers 9002, University of Western Ontario, The Centre for the Study of International Economic Relations.
- Jeremy Greenwood & Boyan Jovanovic, 1989. "Financial Development, Growth, and the Distribution of Income," NBER Working Papers 3189, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Paolo Savona & Aurelio Maccario, 1998. "On the Relation between Money and Derivatives and its Application to the International Monetary Market," Open Economies Review, Springer, vol. 9(1), pages 637-664, January.
- Bencivenga, V.R. & Smith, B.D., 1988.
"Financial Intermediation And Endogenous Growth,"
RCER Working Papers
124, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Dennis D. Kimko & Eric A. Hanushek, 2000.
"Schooling, Labor-Force Quality, and the Growth of Nations,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 90(5), pages 1184-1208, December.
- Jerik Hanushek & Dennis Kimko, 2006. "Schooling, Labor-force Quality, and the Growth of Nations," Educational Studies, Higher School of Economics, issue 1, pages 154-193.
- Beck, Thorsten & Levine, Ross, 2004.
"Stock markets, banks, and growth: Panel evidence,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 28(3), pages 423-442, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ris:aiccon:2012_110. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Paolo Venturi)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.