Developing Asia’s Pension Systems and Old-Age Income Support
Old-age income support is becoming an issue of growing importance throughout Asia. This is especially true in East and Southeast Asia where the population is aging. This paper provides a broad overview of the current state of pension systems in the People’s Republic of China, Indonesia, Republic of Korea, Malaysia, Philippines, Singapore, Thailand, and Viet Nam; analyzes the pension systems; and identifies their major structural weaknesses. The paper concludes with some specific policy directions for pension reform to strengthen the capacity of Asian pension systems in delivering economic security for the large and growing population of elderly looming on the region’s horizon.
|Date of creation:||07 May 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Kasumigaseki Building 8F, 3-2-5, Kasumigaseki, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo 100-6008, Japan|
Fax: (81-3) 3593-5571
Web page: http://www.adbi.org/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- N/A, 2008. "At a Glance," National Institute Economic Review, National Institute of Economic and Social Research, vol. 203(1), pages 2-3, January.
- Nicholas Barr & Peter Diamond, 2006.
"The Economics of Pensions,"
Oxford Review of Economic Policy,
Oxford University Press, vol. 22(1), pages 15-39, Spring.
- Peter S. Heller, 2006. "Is Asia Prepared for an Aging Population?," IMF Working Papers 06/272, International Monetary Fund.
- Alberto Arenas de Mesa & Carmelo Mesa-Lago, 2006. "The Structural Pension Reform in Chile: Effects, Comparisons with Other Latin American Reforms, and Lessons," Oxford Review of Economic Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 22(1), pages 149-167, Spring.
- Holzmann, Robert & Palacios, Robert & Zviniene, Asta, 2004. "Implicit pension debt: issues, measurement and scope in international perspective," Social Protection and Labor Policy and Technical Notes 30153, The World Bank.
- Holzmann, Robert & Mac Arthur, Ian W. & Sin, Yvonne, 2000. "Pension systems in East Asia and the Pacific : challenges and opportunities," Social Protection and Labor Policy and Technical Notes 23088, The World Bank.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ris:adbiwp:0358. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Marc Benger)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.