Invisible Trade Barriers: Trade Effects of US Antidumping Actions Against the People’s Republic of China
We conduct an empirical analysis on the impact of the United States (US) antidumping actions against the People’s Republic of China (PRC) on the bilateral trade and US imports from other trade partners. Using the data set based on the Harmonized System (HS) tariff code, we examine the trade patterns of the PRC and other countries, and find evidence for the trade restriction effect and the trade diversion effect. Further, we examine the intensity and duration of both restriction and diversion effects. The antidumping measures have effectively raised the prices of imports from the PRC and reduced US imports from the PRC only in the short term. Nevertheless, due to the coexistence of trade diversion effects, the overall remedy effect of antidumping actions on domestic industries is considerably limited. In addition, we investigate other factors that influence the efficiency of antidumping measures, such as the antidumping duty amount, the PRC’s market position in the US, and the US market share in the PRC.
|Date of creation:||16 Oct 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Fax: (63-2) 636-2648
Web page: http://www.adb.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Thomas J. Prusa, 1996.
"The Trade Effects of U.S. Antidumping Actions,"
NBER Working Papers
5440, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Maurizio Zanardi, 2004.
"Anti-dumping: What are the Numbers to Discuss at Doha?,"
The World Economy,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 27(3), pages 403-433, 03.
- Maurizio Zanardi, 2004. "Antidumping: what are the numbers to discuss at Doha?," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/9831, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Brenton, Paul, 2001. "Anti-dumping policies in the EU and trade diversion," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 17(3), pages 593-607, September.
- Robert W. Staiger & Frank A. Wolak, 1994.
"Measuring Industry Specific Protection: Antidumping in the United States,"
NBER Working Papers
4696, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Robert Staiger & Frank Wolak, 1994. "Measuring Industry Specific Protection: Antidumping in the United States," International Trade 9410004, EconWPA.
- A. Lasagni, 2000. "Does country-targeted anti-dumping policy by the EU create trade diversion?," Economics Department Working Papers 2000-EP02, Department of Economics, Parma University (Italy).
- Bruce A. Blonigen, 2006.
"Evolving discretionary practices of U.S. antidumping activity,"
Canadian Journal of Economics,
Canadian Economics Association, vol. 39(3), pages 874-900, August.
- Bruce A. Blonigen, 2003. "Evolving Discretionary Practices of U.S Antidumping Activity," NBER Working Papers 9625, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bruce A. Blonigen, 2002. "Evolving Discretionary Practices of U.S. Antidumping Activity," University of Oregon Economics Department Working Papers 2003-20, University of Oregon Economics Department, revised 01 Aug 2003.
- Glenda Mallon & John Whalley, 2004. "China's Post Accession WTO Stance," NBER Working Papers 10649, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Aggarwal, Aradhna, 2004. "Macro Economic Determinants of Antidumping: A Comparative Analysis of Developed and Developing Countries," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 32(6), pages 1043-1057, June.
- Blonigen, Bruce A. & Bown, Chad P., 2003.
"Antidumping and retaliation threats,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 60(2), pages 249-273, August.
- Jozef Konings & Hylke Vandenbussche & Linda Springael, 2001.
"Import Diversion under European Antidumping Policy,"
Journal of Industry, Competition and Trade,
Springer, vol. 1(3), pages 283-299, September.
- Konings, Jozef & Springael, Linda & Vandenbussche, Hylke, 2001. "Import Diversion under European Antidumping Policy," CEPR Discussion Papers 2785, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Hylke Vandenbussche & Jozef Konings & Linda Springael, 1999. "Import Diversion under European Antidumping Policy," NBER Working Papers 7340, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Corinne M. Krupp & Patricia S. Pollard, 1996. "Market Responses to Antidumping Laws: Some Evidence from the U.S. Chemical Industry," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 29(1), pages 199-227, February.
- Swagel, Phillip & Mankiw, N, 2005. "Antidumping: The Third Rail of Trade Policy," Scholarly Articles 2961701, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Patrick A. Messerlin, 2004. "China in the World Trade Organization: Antidumping and Safeguards," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 18(1), pages 105-130.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ris:adbewp:0378. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Maria Susan M. Torres)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.