When Does Co-location of Manufacturing and R&D Matter?
While both manufacturing and R&D location decisions have received considerable theoretical and empirical attention from economists and organization scientists, theories and evidence regarding the co-location of the two are scarce. The goal of this article is to lay the theoretical foundation for R&D-manufacturing co-location. Theories of functional integration along with qualitative and preliminary quantitative empirical data are used to examine the question : when is co-location of R&D and manufacturing necessary?
|Date of creation:||2006|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +358 (0)9 609 900
Fax: +358 (0)9 601 753
Web page: http://www.etla.fi/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Email: |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Rafii, Farshad, 1995. "How important is physical collocation to product development success?," Business Horizons, Elsevier, vol. 38(1), pages 78-84.
- Stephen Appold, 2005. "Location Patterns of US Industrial Research: Mimetic Isomorphism and the Emergence of Geographic Charisma," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 39(1), pages 17-39.
- Xavier, CASTANER & Mikko, KETOKIVI, 2003. "Planning as an integrative device," Les Cahiers de Recherche 775, HEC Paris.
- Mariani,Myriam, 1999.
"Next to Production or to Technological Clusters? The Economics and Management of R&D Location,"
027, Maastricht University, Maastricht Economic Research Institute on Innovation and Technology (MERIT).
- Myriam Mariani, 2002. "Next to Production or to Technological Clusters? The Economics and Management of R&D Location," Journal of Management and Governance, Springer, vol. 6(2), pages 131-152, May.
- Howells, Jeremy R., 1995. "Going global: The use of ICT networks in research and development," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 24(2), pages 169-184, March.
- Audretsch, David B & Feldman, Maryann P, 1996. "R&D Spillovers and the Geography of Innovation and Production," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 86(3), pages 630-40, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:rif:dpaper:1051. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Kaija Hyvönen-Rajecki)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.