The Relative Performance of Real Estate Marketing Platforms: MLS versus FSBOMadison.com
A good real estate agent might make up some of the commision he or she is paid by helping the seller get a more favorable outcome. We match several data sets to compare the outcomes obtained by sellers who listed their home on a For-Sale-By-Owner (FSBO) web site versus those who used an agent and the Multiple Listing Service (MLS). We do not find that listing on the MLS helps sellers obtain a significantly higher sale price. Listing on the MLS does shorten the time it takes to sell a house.
|Date of creation:||2007|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.EconomicDynamics.org/society.htm
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- repec:rje:randje:v:37:y:2006:i:4:p:887-909 is not listed on IDEAS
- Steven D. Levitt & Chad Syverson, 2008.
"Market Distortions When Agents Are Better Informed: The Value of Information in Real Estate Transactions,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 90(4), pages 599-611, November.
- Steven D. Levitt & Chad Syverson, 2005. "Market Distortions when Agents are Better Informed: The Value of Information in Real Estate Transactions," NBER Working Papers 11053, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- repec:rje:randje:v:37:y:2006:3:p:668-691 is not listed on IDEAS
- Coles, Melvyn G & Smith, Eric, 1998.
"Marketplaces and Matching,"
International Economic Review,
Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 39(1), pages 239-54, February.
- Glenn Ellison & Drew Fudenberg, 2003.
"Knife Edge of Plateau: When Do Market Models Tip?,"
NBER Working Papers
9528, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Glenn Ellison & Drew Fudenberg, 2003. "Knife-Edge or Plateau: When do Market Models Tip?," Levine's Working Paper Archive 506439000000000098, David K. Levine.
- Fudenberg, Drew & Ellison, Glenn, 2003. "Knife-Edge or Plateau: When Do Market Models Tip?," Scholarly Articles 3160493, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- FOUCAULT, Thierry & PARLOUR, Christine A., 1999.
"Competition for Listings,"
Les Cahiers de Recherche
666, HEC Paris.
- Ambrus, Attila & Argenziano, Rossella, 2009.
"Asymmetric Networks in Two-Sided Markets,"
3204916, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Coles, Melvyn G & Muthoo, Abhinay, 1998.
"Strategic Bargaining and Competitive Bidding in a Dynamic Market Equilibrium,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 65(2), pages 235-60, April.
- Coles, Melvyn G & Muthoo, Abhinay, 1994. "Strategic Bargaining and Competitive Bidding in a Dynamic Market Equilibrium," CEPR Discussion Papers 938, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Yavas, Abdullah & Colwell, Peter, 1999. "Buyer Brokerage: Incentive and Efficiency Implications," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 18(3), pages 259-77, May.
- B. Douglas Bernheim & Jonathan Meer, 2007. "How Much do Real Estate Brokers Add? A Case Study," Discussion Papers 06-041, Stanford Institute for Economic Policy Research.
- Christopher L. House & Emre Ozdenoren, 2008.
"Durable goods and conformity,"
RAND Journal of Economics,
RAND Corporation, vol. 39(2), pages 452-468.
- François Ortalo-Magné & Antonio Merlo, 2002.
"Bargaining over Residential Real Estate: Evidence from England,"
Wisconsin-Madison CULER working papers
02-02, University of Wisconsin Center for Urban Land Economic Research.
- Merlo, Antonio & Ortalo-Magne, Francois, 2004. "Bargaining over residential real estate: evidence from England," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 56(2), pages 192-216, September.
- Antonio M. Merlo & François Ortalo-Magné, 2002. "Bargaining over Residential Real Estate: Evidence from England," CESifo Working Paper Series 778, CESifo Group Munich.
- repec:rje:randje:v:37:y:2006:3:p:645-667 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:hrv:faseco:4589709 is not listed on IDEAS
- Val E. Lambson & Grant R. McQueen & Barrett A. Slade, 2004. "Do Out-of-State Buyers Pay More for Real Estate? An Examination of Anchoring-Induced Bias and Search Costs," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 32(1), pages 85-126, 03.
- Chang-Tai Hsieh & Enrico Moretti, 2002.
"Can Free Entry be Inefficient? Fixed Commissions and Social Waste in the Real Estate Industry,"
NBER Working Papers
9208, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Chang-Tai Hsieh & Enrico Moretti, 2003. "Can Free Entry Be Inefficient? Fixed Commissions and Social Waste in the Real Estate Industry," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 111(5), pages 1076-1122, October.
- Taylor, Curtis R, 1995. "The Long Side of the Market and the Short End of the Stick: Bargaining Power and Price Formation in Buyers', Sellers', and Balanced Markets," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 110(3), pages 837-55, August.
- Ginger Zhe Jin & Andrew Kato, 2007.
"Dividing Online and Offline: A Case Study,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Oxford University Press, vol. 74(3), pages 981-1004.
- Corts, Kenneth S. & Lederman, Mara, 2009. "Software exclusivity and the scope of indirect network effects in the U.S. home video game market," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 27(2), pages 121-136, March.
- Salant, Stephen W, 1991. "For Sale by Owner: When to Use a Broker and How to Price the House," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 4(2), pages 157-73, June.
- Angelique Augereau & Shane Greenstein & Marc Rysman, 2006. "Coordination versus differentiation in a standards war: 56K modems," RAND Journal of Economics, RAND Corporation, vol. 37(4), pages 887-909, December.
- Cantillon, Estelle & Yin, Pai-Ling, 2007. "How and when do markets tip? Lessons from the Battle of the Bund," Working Paper Series 0766, European Central Bank.
- Damiano, Ettore & Li, Hao, 2005.
Microeconomics.ca working papers
damiano-05-01-25-10-08-07, Vancouver School of Economics, revised 18 Oct 2005.
- Angelique Augereau & Shane Greenstein & Marc Rysman, 2004. "Coordination vs. Differentiation in a Standards War: 56K Modems," NBER Working Papers 10334, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Munneke, Henry J & Yavas, Abdullah, 2001. "Incentives and Performance in Real Estate Brokerage," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 22(1), pages 5-21, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:red:sed007:89. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christian Zimmermann)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.