The Institutional Sources of Innovation in Korean and UK Online Gaming Firms
This paper examines the institutional sources of innovation, with reference to the role of institutions in generating creativity within knowledge-intensive entertainment industry. Despite growing importance of innovation in the knowledge industry, including interactive games, the ‘informal’ source of innovation has attracted relatively little attention. We have attempted to fill this gap with a comparative case study of indigenous UK and Korean online gaming firms. By closely looking at the idea exploration, generation and selection process where creativity plays a major role, we intend to find out why and how values and norms contribute to firm innovation. This study shows that both Korean and UK’s firm value, regardless of their different socio-economic contexts, plays an important role in generating innovation. An additional point suggested in this paper is that the Korean game development firms are likely to take advantage of governmental policy support, in order to overcome inadequate institutional settings, in conjunction with the initial conditions of online gaming development.
|Date of creation:||04 May 2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: PO Box 218, Whiteknights, Reading, Berks, RG6 6AA|
Phone: +44 (0) 118 378 8226
Fax: +44 (0) 118 975 0236
Web page: http://www.henley.reading.ac.uk/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Zoltan Acs & David Audretsch & Erik Lehmann, 2013.
"The knowledge spillover theory of entrepreneurship,"
Small Business Economics,
Springer, vol. 41(4), pages 757-774, December.
- Zoltan Acs & Pontus Braunerhjelm & David Audretsch & Bo Carlsson, 2009. "The knowledge spillover theory of entrepreneurship," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 32(1), pages 15-30, January.
- Acs, Zoltan & Audrestch, David & Braunerhjelm, Pontus & Carlsson, Bo, 2007. "The Knowledge Spillover Theory of Entrepreneurship," Working Paper Series in Economics and Institutions of Innovation 77, Royal Institute of Technology, CESIS - Centre of Excellence for Science and Innovation Studies.
- Zoltan J. Acs & David B. Audretsch & Pontus Braunerhjelm & Bo Carlsson, 2005. "The Knowledge Spillover Theory of Entrepreneurship," Papers on Entrepreneurship, Growth and Public Policy 2005-27, Max Planck Institute of Economics, Entrepreneurship, Growth and Public Policy Group.
- Acs, Zoltán J & Audretsch, David B & Braunerhjelm, Pontus & Carlsson, Bo, 2005. "The Knowledge Spillover Theory of Entrepreneurship," CEPR Discussion Papers 5326, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Hall, Peter A. & Soskice, David (ed.), 2001. "Varieties of Capitalism: The Institutional Foundations of Comparative Advantage," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780199247752, July.
- Iammarino, Simona & McCann, Philip, 2006.
"The structure and evolution of industrial clusters: Transactions, technology and knowledge spillovers,"
Elsevier, vol. 35(7), pages 1018-1036, September.
- Simona Iammarino & Philip McCann, 2006. "The Structure and Evolution of Industrial Clusters: Transactions, Technology and Knowledge Spillovers," SPRU Working Paper Series 138, SPRU - Science and Technology Policy Research, University of Sussex.
- Furman, Jeffrey L. & Porter, Michael E. & Stern, Scott, 2002. "The determinants of national innovative capacity," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 31(6), pages 899-933, August.
- Chris Freeman & Luc Soete, 1997. "The Economics of Industrial Innovation, 3rd Edition," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 3, volume 1, number 0262061953, June.
- Oecd, 2001. "The Development of Broadband Access in the OECD Countries," OECD Digital Economy Papers 56, OECD Publishing.
- Marc Rysman & Tim Simcoe, 2005.
"Patents and the Performance of Voluntary Standard Setting Organizations,"
05-22, NET Institute, revised Oct 2005.
- Marc Rysman & Timothy Simcoe, 2008. "Patents and the Performance of Voluntary Standard-Setting Organizations," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 54(11), pages 1920-1934, November.
- Rysman, Marc & Simcoe, Tim, 2009. "Patents and the Performance of Voluntary Standard Setting Organizations," PIE/CIS Discussion Paper 418, Center for Intergenerational Studies, Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University.
- Anneli Kaasa & Maaja Vadi, 2008.
"How Does Culture Contribute To Innovation? Evidence From European Countries,"
University of Tartu - Faculty of Economics and Business Administration Working Paper Series
63, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, University of Tartu (Estonia).
- Anneli Kaasa & Maaja Vadi, 2010. "How does culture contribute to innovation? Evidence from European countries," Economics of Innovation and New Technology, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 19(7), pages 583-604.
- Laranja, Manuel & Uyarra, Elvira & Flanagan, Kieron, 2008. "Policies for science, technology and innovation: Translating rationales into regional policies in a multi-level setting," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(5), pages 823-835, June.
- Redding, Gordon, 2008. "Separating Culture from Institutions: The Use of Semantic Spaces as a Conceptual Domain and the Case of China," Management and Organization Review, Cambridge University Press, vol. 4(02), pages 257-289, July.
- Chang, Ha-Joon, 1993. "The Political Economy of Industrial Policy in Korea," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 17(2), pages 131-57, June.
- Shane, Scott, 1993. "Cultural influences on national rates of innovation," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 8(1), pages 59-73, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:rdg:emxxdp:em-dp2009-08. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Marie Pearson)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.