Nonparametric Panel Data Models, A Penalized Spline Approach
In this paper, we study estimation of fixed and random effects nonparametric panel data models using penalized splines and its mixed model variant. We define a "within" and a "dummy variable" estimator and show their equivalence which can be used as an argument for consistency of the dummy variable estimator when the effects are correlated with regressors. We prove nonparametric counterparts to a variety of the relations between parametric fixed and random effects estimators. Another feature of the approach followed in this paper is the potential to estimate models with heteroscedasticity and autocorrelation in the error term without difficulty. We provide a simulation experiment to illustrate the performance of the estimators.
|Date of creation:||2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +61 7 3365 6570
Fax: +61 7 3365 7299
Web page: http://www.uq.edu.au/economics/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521785167 is not listed on IDEAS
- Henderson, Daniel J. & Ullah, Aman, 2005. "A nonparametric random effects estimator," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 88(3), pages 403-407, September.
- Smith, Michael & Kohn, Robert, 1996.
"Nonparametric regression using Bayesian variable selection,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 75(2), pages 317-343, December.
- Smith, M. & Kohn, R., . "Nonparametric Regression using Bayesian Variable Selection," Statistics Working Paper _009, Australian Graduate School of Management.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521780506 is not listed on IDEAS
- Henderson, Daniel J. & Carroll, Raymond J. & Li, Qi, 2008. "Nonparametric estimation and testing of fixed effects panel data models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 144(1), pages 257-275, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:qld:uqcepa:72. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (SOE IT)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.