Selecting a Targeting Method to Identify BPL Households in India
This paper proposes how to select a methodology to target multidimensionally poor households, and how to update that targeting exercise periodically. We present this methodology in the context of discussions regarding the selection of a targeting methodology in India. In 1992, 1997, and 2002 the Indian government identified households that are Below the Poverty Line (BPL) and in updating the 2002 methodology, alternative methods have been proposed and vigorously debated. A fourth BPL method was published and a corresponding Socio Economic Caste Census (SECC), implemented. Using the third National Family Health Survey (NFHS3), this paper illustrates how a BPL targeting method using SECC variables might be calibrated to a multidimensional poverty measure. This paper compares the fit between a benchmark measure of multidimensional poverty and several plausible targeting methods to determine which method(s) approximate it - as well as related measures - most closely. We find a ten-item binary scoring method, which uses variables already available in the SECC questionnaire, provides a strong proxy. The emphasis of this paper is to illustrate how a particular targeting method can be justified, rather than to advocate any particular solution.
|Date of creation:||Aug 2012|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Queen Elizabeth House 3 Mansfield Road, Oxford, OX1 3TB United Kingdom|
Phone: +44 (1865) 281800
Fax: +44 (1865) 281801
Web page: http://ophi.qeh.ox.ac.uk/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Vivi Alatas & Abhijit Banerjee & Rema Hanna & Benjamin A. Olken & Julia Tobias, 2012.
"Targeting the Poor: Evidence from a Field Experiment in Indonesia,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 102(4), pages 1206-1240, June.
- Vivi Alatas & Abhijit Banerjee & Rema Hanna & Benjamin A. Olken & Julia Tobias, 2010. "Targeting the Poor: Evidence from a Field Experiment in Indonesia," NBER Working Papers 15980, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Rajindar Sachar & Saiyid Hamid & T.K. Oommen & M.A. Basith & Rakesh Basant & Akhtar Majeed & Abusaleh Shariff, 2006. "Social, Economic and Educational Status of the Muslim Community of India," Development Economics Working Papers 22136, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Francisco H. G. Ferreira & Maria Ana Lugo, 2013.
"Multidimensional Poverty Analysis: Looking for a Middle Ground,"
World Bank Research Observer,
World Bank Group, vol. 28(2), pages 220-235, August.
- Francisco Ferreira & Maria Ana Lugo, 2012. "Multidimensional poverty analysis: Looking for a middle ground," Working Papers 251, ECINEQ, Society for the Study of Economic Inequality.
- Ferreira, Francisco H.G. & Lugo, Maria Ana, 2012. "Multidimensional Poverty Analysis: Looking for a Middle Ground," IZA Policy Papers 45, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Ferreira, Francisco H. G. & Lugo, Maria Ana, 2012. "Multidimensional poverty analysis: Looking for a middle ground," Policy Research Working Paper Series 5964, The World Bank.
- Thomas Piketty & Nancy Qian, 2009.
"Income Inequality and Progressive Income Taxation in China and India, 1986-2015,"
American Economic Journal: Applied Economics,
American Economic Association, vol. 1(2), pages 53-63, April.
- Piketty, Thomas & Qian, Nancy, 2006. "Income Inequality and Progressive Income Taxation in China and India, 1986-2015," CEPR Discussion Papers 5703, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Thomas Piketty & Nancy Qian, 2009. "Income Inequality and Progressive Income Taxation in China and India, 1986-2015," Post-Print halshs-00754381, HAL.
- Bejoy Thomas & Roldan Muradian & Gerard De Groot & Arie De Ruijter, 2009. "Multidimensional Poverty and Identification of Poor Households: A Case from Kerala, India," Journal of Human Development and Capabilities, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 10(2), pages 237-257.
- Angulo, Roberto & Diaz, Yadira & Pardo, Renata, 2013. "Multidimensional poverty in Colombia, 1997-2010," ISER Working Paper Series 2013-03, Institute for Social and Economic Research.
- Sen, Amartya K, 1976. "Poverty: An Ordinal Approach to Measurement," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 44(2), pages 219-231, March.
- Olken, Benjamin A., 2006. "Corruption and the costs of redistribution: Micro evidence from Indonesia," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 90(4-5), pages 853-870, May.
- Alkire, Sabina & Foster, James, 2011.
"Counting and multidimensional poverty measurement,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 95(7), pages 476-487.
- Amartya Sen, 2004. "Capabilities, Lists, And Public Reason: Continuing The Conversation," Feminist Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 10(3), pages 77-80.
- Atkinson, Tony & Cantillon, Bea & Marlier, Eric & Nolan, Brian, 2002. "Social Indicators: The EU and Social Inclusion," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780199253494.
- Sabina Alkire and Suman Seth, 2012. "Identifying BPL Households: A Comparison of Methods," OPHI Working Papers ophiwp054, Queen Elizabeth House, University of Oxford.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:qeh:ophiwp:ophiwp053. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Rachel Crawford)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.