Selecting a Targeting Method to Identify BPL Households in India
This paper proposes how to select a methodology to target multidimensionally poor households, and how to update that targeting exercise periodically. We present this methodology in the context of discussions regarding the selection of a targeting methodology in India. In 1992, 1997, and 2002 the Indian government identified households that are below the poverty line (BPL) and in updating the 2002 methodology, alternative methods have been proposed and vigorously debated. A fourth BPL method was published and a corresponding Socio Economic Caste Census (SECC), implemented. Using the third National Family Health Survey (NFHS-3), this paper illustrates how a BPL targeting method using SECC variables might be calibrated to a multidimensional poverty measure. This paper compares the fit between a benchmark measure of multidimensional poverty and several plausible targeting methods to determine which method(s) approximate it—as well as related measures—most closely. We find a ten-item binary scoring method, which uses variables already available in the SECC questionnaire, provides a strong proxy. The emphasis of this paper is to illustrate how a particular targeting method can be justified, rather than to advocate any particular solution. Copyright Springer Science+Business Media Dordrecht 2013
Volume (Year): 112 (2013)
Issue (Month): 2 (June)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.springer.com/economics/journal/11135 |
|Order Information:||Web: http://link.springer.de/orders.htm|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Thomas Piketty & Nancy Qian, 2009.
"Income Inequality and Progressive Income Taxation in China and India, 1986-2015,"
American Economic Journal: Applied Economics,
American Economic Association, vol. 1(2), pages 53-63, April.
- Piketty, Thomas & Qian, Nancy, 2006. "Income Inequality and Progressive Income Taxation in China and India, 1986-2015," CEPR Discussion Papers 5703, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Alkire, Sabina & Foster, James, 2011.
"Counting and multidimensional poverty measurement,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 95(7), pages 476-487.
- Sabina Alkire and Suman Seth, 2012. "Identifying BPL Households: A Comparison of Methods," OPHI Working Papers ophiwp054, Queen Elizabeth House, University of Oxford.
- Sen, Amartya K, 1976. "Poverty: An Ordinal Approach to Measurement," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 44(2), pages 219-31, March.
- Ferreira, Francisco H. G. & Lugo, Maria Ana, 2012.
"Multidimensional poverty analysis: Looking for a middle ground,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
5964, The World Bank.
- Francisco H. G. Ferreira & Maria Ana Lugo, 2013. "Multidimensional Poverty Analysis: Looking for a Middle Ground," World Bank Research Observer, World Bank Group, vol. 28(2), pages 220-235, August.
- Ferreira, Francisco H.G. & Lugo, Maria Ana, 2012. "Multidimensional Poverty Analysis: Looking for a Middle Ground," IZA Policy Papers 45, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Francisco Ferreira & Maria Ana Lugo, 2012. "Multidimensional poverty analysis: Looking for a middle ground," Working Papers 251, ECINEQ, Society for the Study of Economic Inequality.
- Bejoy Thomas & Roldan Muradian & Gerard De Groot & Arie De Ruijter, 2009. "Multidimensional Poverty and Identification of Poor Households: A Case from Kerala, India," Journal of Human Development and Capabilities, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 10(2), pages 237-257.
- Atkinson, Tony & Cantillon, Bea & Marlier, Eric & Nolan, Brian, 2002. "Social Indicators: The EU and Social Inclusion," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780199253494.
- Olken, Benjamin A., 2006. "Corruption and the costs of redistribution: Micro evidence from Indonesia," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 90(4-5), pages 853-870, May.
- Amartya Sen, 2004. "Capabilities, Lists, And Public Reason: Continuing The Conversation," Feminist Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 10(3), pages 77-80.
- repec:ese:iserwp:2013-03 is not listed on IDEAS
- Vivi Alatas & Abhijit Banerjee & Rema Hanna & Benjamin A. Olken & Julia Tobias, 2010.
"Targeting the Poor: Evidence from a Field Experiment in Indonesia,"
NBER Working Papers
15980, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Vivi Alatas & Abhijit Banerjee & Rema Hanna & Benjamin A. Olken & Julia Tobias, 2012. "Targeting the Poor: Evidence from a Field Experiment in Indonesia," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 102(4), pages 1206-40, June.
- Rajindar Sachar & Saiyid Hamid & T.K. Oommen & M.A. Basith & Rakesh Basant & Akhtar Majeed & Abusaleh Shariff, 2006. "Social, Economic and Educational Status of the Muslim Community of India," Development Economics Working Papers 22136, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:spr:soinre:v:112:y:2013:i:2:p:417-446. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn)or (Christopher F Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.