Multidimensional poverty in Colombia, 1997-2010
This paper presents the Colombian Multidimensional Poverty Index (CMPI), an initiative of the National Planning Department based on the methodology of Alkire and Foster (2010). The proposed index for Colombia is composed of five dimensions: education of household members; childhood and youth conditions; health; employment; and access to household utilities and living conditions. A nested weighting structure was used, where each dimension is equally weighted, as is each indicator within each dimension. Analysis of the results demonstrates that multidimensional poverty in Colombia decreased between 1997 and 2010. Multidimensional poverty rates decreased in both urban and rural areas, but imbalances remain. As well as calculating the incidence of multidimensional poverty, we also calculate measures of the poverty gap and the severity of poverty. The reduction in severity is larger than the reduction in the gap, suggesting that the depth of poverty among the poorest has been reduced through targeting. In addition, this paper presents some public policy applications of the CMPI.
|Date of creation:||25 Jan 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Publications Office, Institute for Social and Economic Research, University of Essex, Wivenhoe Park, Colchester, Essex CO4 3SQ UK|
Web page: https://www.iser.essex.ac.uk/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Postal: Publications Office, Institute for Social and Economic Research, University of Essex, Wivenhoe Park, Colchester, Essex CO4 3SQ UK|
Web: https://www.iser.essex.ac.uk/publications/ Email:
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Luis Fernando Gamboa & Darwin Cortés & Jorge Iván Gonzáles, 2000. "Algunas consideraciones analíticas sobre el estándar de vida," REVISTA DE ECONOMÍA DEL ROSARIO, UNIVERSIDAD DEL ROSARIO, September.
- Diego Battiston & Guillermo Cruces & Luis Felipe Lopez Calva & Maria Ana Lugo & Maria Emma Santos, 2009.
"Income and Beyond: Multidimensional Poverty in six Latin American countries,"
CEDLAS, Working Papers
0090, CEDLAS, Universidad Nacional de La Plata.
- Diego Battiston & Guillermo Cruces & Luis Lopez-Calva & Maria Lugo & Maria Santos, 2013. "Income and Beyond: Multidimensional Poverty in Six Latin American Countries," Social Indicators Research, Springer, vol. 112(2), pages 291-314, June.
- Diego Battiston, Guillermo Cruces, Luis Felipe Lopez Calva, Maria Ana Lugo and Maria Emma Santos, . "Income and Beyond: Multidimensional Poverty in Six Latin American Countries," OPHI Working Papers ophiwp017, Queen Elizabeth House, University of Oxford.
- Diego Battiston & Guillermo Cruces & Luis Felipe Lopez-Calva & Maria Ana Lugo & Maria Emma Santos, 2009. "Income and beyond: Multidimensional poverty in six Latin American countries," Working Papers 142, ECINEQ, Society for the Study of Economic Inequality.
- Carlos Eduardo Vélez & Joao Pedro Azevedo & Christian Manuel Posso, .
"Oportunidades para los niños colombianos: cuánto avanzamos en esta década,"
Borradores de Economia
637, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- Carlos Eduardo Vélez & Joao Pedro Azevedo & Christian Manuel Posso, 2011. "Oportunidades para los niños colombianos: cuánto avanzamos en esta década," BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA 007872, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA.
- Sen, Amartya K, 1976. "Poverty: An Ordinal Approach to Measurement," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 44(2), pages 219-31, March.
- Darwin Cortés & Luis F. Gamboa & Jorge I. González, 1999. "ICV: hacia una medida de estándar de vida," COYUNTURA SOCIAL 013028, FEDESARROLLO.
- Sen, Amartya, 1979. " Issues in the Measurement of Poverty," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 81(2), pages 285-307.
- S. Mahendra Dev, 2008. "India," Chapters, in: Handbook on the South Asian Economies, chapter 1 Edward Elgar Publishing.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ese:iserwp:2013-03. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Paul Groves)The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Paul Groves to update the entry or send us the correct email address
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.