Costs, size and returns to scale among Canadian and U.S. commercial banks
Download full text from publisher
References listed on IDEAS
- Elijah Brewer & Julapa Jagtiani, 2013.
"How Much Did Banks Pay to Become Too-Big-To-Fail and to Become Systemically Important?,"
Journal of Financial Services Research,
Springer;Western Finance Association, vol. 43(1), pages 1-35, February.
- Elijah Brewer & Julapa Jagtiani, 2009. "How much did banks pay to become too-big-to-fail and to become systemically important?," Working Papers 09-34, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia.
- Elijah Brewer & Julapa Jagtiani, 2011. "How much did banks pay to become too-big-to-fail and to become systematically important?," Working Papers 11-37, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia.
- Anderson, Ronald W. & Jõeveer, Karin, 2012.
"Bankers and bank investors: Reconsidering the economies of scale in banking,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
9146, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Ronald W. Anderson & Karin Joeveer, 2012. "Bankers and bank investors: Reconsidering the economies of scale in banking," FMG Discussion Papers dp712, Financial Markets Group.
- Rita Babihuga & Marco Spaltro, 2014. "Bank Funding Costs for International Banks," IMF Working Papers 14/71, International Monetary Fund.
- Feng, Guohua & Serletis, Apostolos, 2010.
"Efficiency, technical change, and returns to scale in large US banks: Panel data evidence from an output distance function satisfying theoretical regularity,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 34(1), pages 127-138, January.
- Guohua Feng & Apostolos Serletis, 2009. "Efficiency, Technical Change, and Returns to Scale in Large U.S. Banks: Panel Data Evidence from an Output Distance Function Satisfying Theoretical Regularity," Monash Econometrics and Business Statistics Working Papers 5/09, Monash University, Department of Econometrics and Business Statistics.
- Diego A. Restrepo-Tobón & Subal C. Kumbhakar & Kai Sun, 2013. "Are U.S. Commercial Banks Too Big?," DOCUMENTOS DE TRABAJO CIEF 010943, UNIVERSIDAD EAFIT.
- Koetter, Michael & Noth, Felix, 2013. "IT use, productivity, and market power in banking," Journal of Financial Stability, Elsevier, vol. 9(4), pages 695-704.
- Hunter, William C & Timme, Stephen G & Yang, Won Keun, 1990. "An Examination of Cost Subadditivity and Multiproduct Production in Large U.S. Banks," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 22(4), pages 504-525, November.
- Klaus Schaeck & Martin Cihak & Simon Wolfe, 2009. "Are Competitive Banking Systems More Stable?," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 41(4), pages 711-734, June.
- David C. Wheelock & Paul W. Wilson, 2012. "Do Large Banks Have Lower Costs? New Estimates of Returns to Scale for U.S. Banks," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 44(1), pages 171-199, February.
- Anat Admati & Martin Hellwig, 2014. "The Bankers' New Clothes: What's Wrong with Banking and What to Do about It: with a new preface by the authors," Economics Books, Princeton University Press, edition 1, number 10230, October.
- Beccalli, Elena & Anolli, Mario & Borello, Giuliana, 2015. "Are European banks too big? evidence on economies of scale," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 62936, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Jason Allen & Robert Clark & Jean-Fran?ois Houde, 2014.
"The Effect of Mergers in Search Markets: Evidence from the Canadian Mortgage Industry,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 104(10), pages 3365-3396, October.
- Jason Allen & Robert Clark & Jean-François Houde, 2013. "The Effect of Mergers in Search Market: Evidence from the Canadian Mortgage Industry," NBER Working Papers 19126, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Minton, Bernadette A. & Stulz, Rene M. & Toboada, Alvaro G., 2017. "Are Larger Banks Valued More Highly?," Working Paper Series 2017-08, Ohio State University, Charles A. Dice Center for Research in Financial Economics.
- Jim Armstrong, 1997. "The changing business activities of banks in Canada," Bank of Canada Review, Bank of Canada, vol. 1997(Spring), pages 11-38.
- Ueda, Kenichi & Weder di Mauro, B., 2013.
"Quantifying structural subsidy values for systemically important financial institutions,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 37(10), pages 3830-3842.
- Kenichi Ueda & Beatrice Weder di Mauro, 2012. "Quantifying Structural Subsidy Values for Systemically Important Financial Institutions," IMF Working Papers 12/128, International Monetary Fund.
- Kumbhakar,Subal C. & Wang,Hung-Jen & Horncastle,Alan P., 2015.
"A Practitioner's Guide to Stochastic Frontier Analysis Using Stata,"
Cambridge University Press, number 9781107029514, August.
- Kumbhakar,Subal C. & Wang,Hung-Jen & Horncastle,Alan P., 2015. "A Practitioner's Guide to Stochastic Frontier Analysis Using Stata," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9781107609464, August.
- Nelson C. Mark & Donggyu Sul, 2003.
"Cointegration Vector Estimation by Panel DOLS and Long-run Money Demand,"
Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics,
Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 65(5), pages 655-680, December.
- Nelson C. Mark & Donggyu Sul, 2002. "Cointegration Vector Estimation by Panel DOLS and Long-Run Money Demand," NBER Technical Working Papers 0287, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Feng, Guohua & Zhang, Xiaohui, 2014. "Returns to scale at large banks in the US: A random coefficient stochastic frontier approach," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 39(C), pages 135-145.
- Feng, Guohua & Zhang, Xiaohui, 2012. "Productivity and efficiency at large and community banks in the US: A Bayesian true random effects stochastic distance frontier analysis," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 36(7), pages 1883-1895.
- Jason Allen & Walter Engert & Ying Liu, 2006. "Are Canadian Banks Efficient? A Canada--U.S. Comparison," Staff Working Papers 06-33, Bank of Canada.
- Priyank Gandhi & Hanno Lustig, 2015. "Size Anomalies in U.S. Bank Stock Returns," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 70(2), pages 733-768, April.
- Richard Davies & Belinda Tracey, 2014. "Too Big to Be Efficient? The Impact of Implicit Subsidies on Estimates of Scale Economies for Banks," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 46(s1), pages 219-253, February.
- Bernadette A. Minton & René M. Stulz & Alvaro G. Taboada, 2017. "Are Larger Banks Valued More Highly?," NBER Working Papers 23212, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Dietrich, Andreas & Wanzenried, Gabrielle, 2011. "Determinants of bank profitability before and during the crisis: Evidence from Switzerland," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 21(3), pages 307-327, July.
- Avraham, Dafna & Selvaggi, Patricia & Vickery, James, 2012. "A Structural view of U.S. bank holding companies," Economic Policy Review, Federal Reserve Bank of New York, issue 07, pages 65-81.
- Beccalli, Elena & Anolli, Mario & Borello, Giuliana, 2015. "Are European banks too big? Evidence on economies of scale," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 58(C), pages 232-246.
- Clark, Jeffrey A & Siems, Thomas F, 2002. "X-Efficiency in Banking: Looking beyond the Balance Sheet," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 34(4), pages 987-1013, November.
More about this item
KeywordsBank; Commercial Banks; Financial Intermediaries; Retail Bank; Canada; Canadian;
- G21 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Banks; Other Depository Institutions; Micro Finance Institutions; Mortgages
- L89 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Services - - - Other
NEP fieldsThis paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2017-05-14 (All new papers)
- NEP-BAN-2017-05-14 (Banking)
- NEP-EFF-2017-05-14 (Efficiency & Productivity)
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:qed:wpaper:1382. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mark Babcock). General contact details of provider: http://edirc.repec.org/data/qedquca.html .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.