How to create indices for bank branch financial performance measurement using MCDA techniques: an illustrative example
Most banks have been negatively affected by the recent economic recession, which has forced them to evaluate their operating performance including the financial performance of bank branches. Approaches that have been applied to address the financial performance evaluation of bank branches include: optimization techniques, simulations, stochastic tools, fuzzy logics and decision support systems. Although recent improvements have been made in assessing financial performance, the potential for significant further improvement remains since the recent World economic crisis is adding pressure on business margins. The purpose of this paper is to construct an exemplificative evaluation index for bank branch financial performance by integrating cognitive maps with measuring attractiveness by a categorical based evaluation technique. We aim to apply this methodology constructively to serve as a learning mechanism and introduce transparency in the decision making process. Practical applications, strengths and weaknesses of the proposed evaluation index are also discussed.
|Date of creation:||2012|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: R. do Ouro, 27, 1100 LISBOA|
Phone: 21 321 32 00
Fax: 21 346 48 43
Web page: https://www.bportugal.pt
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bana e Costa, Carlos A. & Ensslin, Leonardo & Correa, Emerson C. & Vansnick, Jean-Claude, 1999. "Decision Support Systems in action: Integrated application in a multicriteria decision aid process," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 113(2), pages 315-335, March.
- Eden, Colin, 2004. "Analyzing cognitive maps to help structure issues or problems," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 159(3), pages 673-686, December.
- Paradi, Joseph C. & Schaffnit, Claire, 2004. "Commercial branch performance evaluation and results communication in a Canadian bank--a DEA application," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 156(3), pages 719-735, August.
- DeYoung, Robert & Hasan, Iftekhar, 1998. "The performance of de novo commercial banks: A profit efficiency approach," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 22(5), pages 565-587, May.
- Suwignjo, P. & Bititci, U. S & Carrie, A. S, 2000. "Quantitative models for performance measurement system," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 64(1-3), pages 231-241, March.
- Barros, Carlos Pestana & Ferreira, Candida & Williams, Jonathan, 2007. "Analysing the determinants of performance of best and worst European banks: A mixed logit approach," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 31(7), pages 2189-2203, July.
- Portela, Maria Conceicao A. Silva & Thanassoulis, Emmanuel, 2007. "Comparative efficiency analysis of Portuguese bank branches," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 177(2), pages 1275-1288, March.
- Fernando A. F. Ferreira & Sérgio P. Santos & Paulo M.M. Rodrigues, 2009. "Adding Value to Bank Branch Performance Evaluation Using Cognitive Maps and MCDA: A Case Study," Working Papers w200923, Banco de Portugal, Economics and Research Department.
- Mihelis, G. & Grigoroudis, E. & Siskos, Y. & Politis, Y. & Malandrakis, Y., 2001. "Customer satisfaction measurement in the private bank sector," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 130(2), pages 347-360, April.
- Charnes, A. & Cooper, W. W. & Rhodes, E., 1978. "Measuring the efficiency of decision making units," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 2(6), pages 429-444, November.
- Dekker, David & Post, Thierry, 2001. "A quasi-concave DEA model with an application for bank branch performance evaluation," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 132(2), pages 296-311, July.
- Knox Lovell, C. A. & Pastor, Jesus T., 1997. "Target setting: An application to a bank branch network," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 98(2), pages 290-299, April.
- Cyree, Ken B. & Wansley, James W. & Boehm, Thomas P., 2000. "Determinants of bank growth choice," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 24(5), pages 709-734, May.
- Silva Portela, Maria Conceicao A. & Thanassoulis, Emmanuel, 2005. "Profitability of a sample of Portuguese bank branches and its decomposition into technical and allocative components," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 162(3), pages 850-866, May.
- Weber, Martin & Borcherding, Katrin, 1993. "Behavioral influences on weight judgments in multiattribute decision making," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 67(1), pages 1-12, May.
- Ananda, Jayanath & Herath, Gamini, 2009. "A critical review of multi-criteria decision making methods with special reference to forest management and planning," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 68(10), pages 2535-2548, August.
- Halkos, George & Salamouris, Dimitrios, 2001. "Efficiency Measures of the Greek Banking Sector: A Non-Parametric Approach for the Period 1997-1999," MPRA Paper 2858, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Elena Beccalli & Barbara Casu & Claudia Girardone, 2006. "Efficiency and Stock Performance in European Banking," Journal of Business Finance & Accounting, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 33(1-2), pages 245-262.
- Fernando A. F. Ferreira & Sérgio P. Santos & Paulo M.M. Rodrigues & Ronald W. Spahr, 2011. "Evaluating retail banking quality service and convenience with MCDA techniques: a case study at the bank branch level," Working Papers w201131, Banco de Portugal, Economics and Research Department.
- Fadzlan Sufian & Muzafar Shah Habibullah, 2009. "Determinants of bank profitability in a developing economy: Empirical evidence from Bangladesh," Journal of Business Economics and Management, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 10(3), pages 207-217, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ptu:wpaper:w201213. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (DEE-NTDD)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.