Of Low Yielders and Carry Trading – the JPY and CHF as Market Risk Sentiment Gauges
Ever since the credit turmoil took hold in the summer 2007 financial markets have been on the brink. Volatility in asset returns and correlations have been high and investors’ view on the underlying market fundamentals equally as fickle. Within that market context, this paper provides strong evidence for the idea of carry trading currencies as risk sentiment gauges in the market. Using daily returns from 2006 to May 2008 it is shown how traditional carry trading currency crosses (mainly JPY and CHF crosses) exhibit strong negative correlation and beta values with three key equity indices. This paper furthermore shows how this relationship, in relation to specific currency pairs, has been particularly strong since the advent of the credit crisis. Finally, this paper also homes in on the idea of carry trading currencies as means of hedging equity returns and fluctuations on a daily basis. At an initial glance such relationships are however bound to be highly spurious. As such, this paper also attempts to qualify its findings in a more general and solid empirical context.
|Date of creation:||09 Aug 2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Aidan Corcoran, 2009. "The Determinants of Carry Trade Risk Premia," The Institute for International Integration Studies Discussion Paper Series iiisdp287, IIIS.
- Plantin, Guillaume & Shin, Hyun Song, 2011. "Carry Trades, Monetary Policy and Speculative Dynamics," CEPR Discussion Papers 8224, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Alexander, Gordon J. & Chervany, Norman L., 1980. "On the Estimation and Stability of Beta," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 15(01), pages 123-137, March.
- Meese, Richard A. & Rogoff, Kenneth, 1983. "Empirical exchange rate models of the seventies : Do they fit out of sample?," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 14(1-2), pages 3-24, February.
- Emmanuel Farhi & Xavier Gabaix, 2008.
"Rare Disasters and Exchange Rates,"
NBER Working Papers
13805, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Emmanuel Farhi, 2008. "Rare Disasters and Exchange Rates," 2008 Meeting Papers 47, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Emmanuel Farhi & Xavier Gabaix, . "Rare Disasters and Exchange Rates," Working Paper 71001, Harvard University OpenScholar.
- Farhi, Emmanuel & Gabaix, Xavier, 2015. "Rare Disasters and Exchange Rates," CEPR Discussion Papers 10334, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Marie Briere & Bastien Drut, 2009.
"The Revenge of Purchasing Power Parity on Carry Trades during Crises,"
Working Papers CEB
09-013.RS, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Drut, Bastien & Brière, Marie, 2009. "The Revenge of Purchasing Power Parity on Carry Trades during Crises," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/7743, Paris Dauphine University.
- Ross, Stephen A., 1976. "The arbitrage theory of capital asset pricing," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 13(3), pages 341-360, December.
- Jose Olmo & Keith Pilbeam, 2009. "The profitability of carry trades," Annals of Finance, Springer, vol. 5(2), pages 231-241, March.
- Longworth, David, 1981. "Testing the Efficiency of the Canadian-U.S. Exchange Market under the Assumption of no Risk Premium," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 36(1), pages 43-49, March.
- Charlotte Christiansen & Angelo Ranaldo & Paul Söderlind, 2010.
"The Time-Varying Systematic Risk of Carry Trade Strategies,"
2010-01, Swiss National Bank.
- Christiansen, Charlotte & Ranaldo, Angelo & Söderlind, Paul, 2011. "The Time-Varying Systematic Risk of Carry Trade Strategies," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 46(04), pages 1107-1125, September.
- Christiansen, Charlotte & Ranaldo, Angelo & Söderlind, Paul, 2009. "The Time-Varying Systematic Risk of Carry Trade Strategies," CEPR Discussion Papers 7345, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Paul Soderlind & Angelo Ranaldo & Charlotte Christiansen, 2009. "The Time-Varying Systematic Risk of Carry Trade Strategies," University of St. Gallen Department of Economics working paper series 2009 2009-06, Department of Economics, University of St. Gallen.
- Charlotte Christiansen & Angelo Ranaldo & Paul Söderllind, 2009. "The Time-Varying Systematic Risk of Carry Trade Strategies," CREATES Research Papers 2009-15, School of Economics and Management, University of Aarhus.
- Markus K. Brunnermeier & Stefan Nagel & Lasse H. Pedersen, 2009.
"Carry Trades and Currency Crashes,"
in: NBER Macroeconomics Annual 2008, Volume 23, pages 313-347
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Granger, C W J, 1969. "Investigating Causal Relations by Econometric Models and Cross-Spectral Methods," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 37(3), pages 424-38, July.
- Joseph E. Gagnon & Alain P. Chaboud, 2007. "What can the data tell us about carry trades in Japanese yen?," International Finance Discussion Papers 899, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Daniel Kohler, 2007. "Carry Trades: Betting Against Safe Haven," University of St. Gallen Department of Economics working paper series 2007 2007-12, Department of Economics, University of St. Gallen.
- Bilson, John F O, 1981.
"The "Speculative Efficiency" Hypothesis,"
The Journal of Business,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 54(3), pages 435-51, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:9952. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.