The Effects of the Real Exchange Rate Volatility and Misalignments on Foreign Trade Flows in Uzbekistan
This study documents a quantitative analysis of exchange rate volatilities and misalignment in Uzbekistan for the period of 1994q3–2005q2. The results suggest thatthe real exchange rate volatility and misalignment have depressing effects on the volume of trade, mainly exports in Uzbekistan. The Governments currency rationing policy was lessening the volatility proving that the policy-induced changes in exchange rate has a stabilizing effect on trade flows. The implied elasticity for the most significant real exchange rate volatility coefficient is -0.20. Using a two-step Engle-Granger technique import demand and export supply price elasticities are computed. The results are consistent with the predictions from a number of previous studies, and in particular, the estimated exports price elasticity for Uzbek economy ranges from 1.65 to 1.84, while import demand price elasticity is between -0.78 and -0.83. At the same time, relatively lower elasticity during ’the currency rationing’ period indicate that large devaluations, most likely, did not generate the expected improvements in the overall export performance.
|Date of creation:||Mar 2008|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lane, Philip R. & Milesi-Ferretti, Gian Maria, 2002.
"External Wealth, the Trade Balance and the Real Exchange Rate,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
3153, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Lane, Philip R. & Milesi-Ferretti, Gian Maria, 2002. "External wealth, the trade balance, and the real exchange rate," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 46(6), pages 1049-1071, June.
- Philip R. Lane & Gian Maria Milesi-Ferretti, 2001. "External Wealth, the Trade Balance, and the Real Exchange Rate," CEG Working Papers 200113, Trinity College Dublin, Department of Economics.
- Philip R. Lane & Gian Maria Milesi-Ferretti, 2001. "External Wealth, the Trade Balance, and the Real Exchange Rate," Trinity Economics Papers 200121, Trinity College Dublin, Department of Economics.
- Ph.R. Lane & G.M. Milesi-Ferretti, 2003. "External Wealth, the Trade Balance, and the Real Exchange Rate," DNB Staff Reports (discontinued) 80, Netherlands Central Bank.
- Lane, Philip R. & Gian Maria Milesi-Ferretti, 2002. "External Wealth, the Trade Balance, and the Real Exchange Rate," Royal Economic Society Annual Conference 2002 119, Royal Economic Society.
- Philip R. Lane & Gian M Milesi-Ferretti, 2002. "External Wealth, the Trade Balance, and the Real Exchange Rate," IMF Working Papers 02/51, International Monetary Fund.
- Feenstra, R.C. & Kendall, J.D., 1991.
"Exchange Rate Volatility and International Prices,"
377, California Davis - Institute of Governmental Affairs.
- Lee, Jaewoo, 1999. "The Effect of Exchange Rate Volatility on Trade in Durables," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 7(2), pages 189-201, May.
- Wang, Kai-Li & Barrett, Christopher B., 2002. "A New Look At The Trade Volume Effects Of Real Exchange Rate Risk," Working Papers 14751, Cornell University, Department of Applied Economics and Management.
- McKenzie, Michael D, 1999. " The Impact of Exchange Rate Volatility on International Trade Flows," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 13(1), pages 71-106, February.
- Ricardo Hausmann & Ugo Panizza & Roberto Rigobon, 2004.
"The Long-Run Volatility Puzzle of the Real Exchange Rate,"
NBER Working Papers
10751, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hausmann, Ricardo & Panizza, Ugo & Rigobon, Roberto, 2006. "The long-run volatility puzzle of the real exchange rate," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 25(1), pages 93-124, February.
- Marie-Ange VEGANZONES-VAROUDAKIS & NABLI, 2002. "Exchange Rate Regime and Competitiveness of Manufactured Exports: The case of MENA Countries," Working Papers 200230, CERDI.
- Rose, Andrew K., 1991. "The role of exchange rates in a popular model of international trade : Does the 'Marshall-Lerner' condition hold?," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(3-4), pages 301-316, May.
- Engle, Robert F & Granger, Clive W J, 1987.
"Co-integration and Error Correction: Representation, Estimation, and Testing,"
Econometric Society, vol. 55(2), pages 251-276, March.
- Engle, Robert & Granger, Clive, 2015. "Co-integration and error correction: Representation, estimation, and testing," Applied Econometrics, Publishing House "SINERGIA PRESS", vol. 39(3), pages 106-135.
- Sauer, Christine & Bohara, Alok K, 2001. "Exchange Rate Volatility and Exports: Regional Differences between Developing and Industrialized Countries," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 9(1), pages 133-152, February.
- Kroner, Kenneth F. & Lastrapes, William D., 1993. "The impact of exchange rate volatility on international trade: Reduced form estimates using the GARCH-in-mean model," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 12(3), pages 298-318, June.
- Kaminsky, Graciela & Lizondo, Saul & Reinhart, Carmen M., 1997.
"Leading indicators of currency crises,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
1852, The World Bank.
- Byung-Yeon Kim & Iikka Korhonen, 2002.
"Equilibrium Exchange Rates in Transition Countries: Evidence from Dynamic Heterogeneous Panel Models,"
- Kim, Byung-Yeon & Korhonen, Iikka, 2005. "Equilibrium exchange rates in transition countries: Evidence from dynamic heterogeneous panel models," Economic Systems, Elsevier, vol. 29(2), pages 144-162, June.
- Kim, Byung-Yeon & Korhonen, Iikka, 2002. "Equilibrium exchange rates in transition countries : Evidence from dynamic heterogenous panel models," BOFIT Discussion Papers 15/2002, Bank of Finland, Institute for Economies in Transition.
- Khalid Sekkat, 1998. "Exchange rate variability and EU trade," European Economy - Economic Papers 2008 - 2015 127, Directorate General Economic and Financial Affairs (DG ECFIN), European Commission.
- Caporale, Tony & Doroodian, Khosrow, 1994. "Exchange rate variability and the flow of international trade," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 46(1), pages 49-54, September.
- Ghura, Dhaneshwar & Grennes, Thomas J., 1993. "The real exchange rate and macroeconomic performance in Sub-Saharan Africa," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 42(1), pages 155-174, October.
- Cottani, Joaquin A & Cavallo, Domingo F & Khan, M Shahbaz, 1990. "Real Exchange Rate Behavior and Economic Performance in LDCs," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 39(1), pages 61-76, October.
- Ofair Razin & Susan M. Collins, 1997. "Real Exchange Rate Misalignments and Growth," NBER Working Papers 6174, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Polterovich, Victor & Popov, Vladimir, 2003. "Accumulation of Foreign Exchange Reserves and Long Term Growth," MPRA Paper 20069, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Sapir, André & Sekkat, Khalid & Weber, Axel A, 1994. "The Impact of Exchange Rate Fluctuations on European Union Trade," CEPR Discussion Papers 1041, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Ofair Razin & Susan M. Collins, 1997. "Real Exchange Rate Misalignments and Growth," International Finance 9707001, EconWPA.
- Frait, Jan & Komarek, Lubos & Meleck, Martin, 2006. "The Real Exchange Rate Misalignment in the Five Central European Countries," The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS) 739, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:9749. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.