Demand for money in Iran: An ARDL approach
The objective of this study is to estimate the demand for money in Iran using the autoregressive distributed lag (ARDL) approach to cointegration analysis. The empirical results show that there is a unique cointegrated and stable long-run relationship among M1 monetary aggregate, income, inflation and exchange rate. We find that the income elasticity and exchange rate coefficient are positive while the inflation elasticity is negative. This indicates that depreciation of domestic currency increases the demand for money, supporting the wealth effect argument and people prefer to substitute physical assets for money balances that are supporting our theoretical expectation. Our results also after incorporating the CUSUM and CUSUMSQ tests reveal that the M1 money demand function is stable between 1985 and 2006.
|Date of creation:||10 Oct 2007|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Johansen, Soren & Juselius, Katarina, 1990. "Maximum Likelihood Estimation and Inference on Cointegration--With Applications to the Demand for Money," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 52(2), pages 169-210, May.
- Ashfaque H. Khan, 1994. "Financial Liberalisation and the Demand for Money in Pakistan," The Pakistan Development Review, Pakistan Institute of Development Economics, vol. 33(4), pages 997-1010.
- Ahmed Khalid, 1999. "Modelling money demand in open economies: the case of selected Asian countries," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 31(9), pages 1129-1135.
- Bahmani-Oskooee Mohsen & Shin Sungwon, 2002. "Stability of the Demand for Money in Korea," International Economic Journal, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 16(2), pages 85-95.
- Bahmani-Oskooee, Mohsen & Bohl, Martin T., 2000. "German monetary unification and the stability of the German M3 money demand function," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 66(2), pages 203-208, February.
- Eu Chye Tan, 1997. "Money demand amid financial sector developments in Malaysia," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 29(9), pages 1201-1215.
- Karfakis, Costas I & Parikh, Ashok, 1993. "A Cointegration Approach to Monetary Targeting in Australia," Australian Economic Papers, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 32(60), pages 53-72, June.
- Bahmani-Oskooee, Mohsen, 2001. "How stable is M2 money demand function in Japan?," Japan and the World Economy, Elsevier, vol. 13(4), pages 455-461, December.
- Pesaran, M.H. & Shin, Y., 1995. "An Autoregressive Distributed Lag Modelling Approach to Cointegration Analysis," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 9514, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Dennis Hoffman & Robert H. Rasche, 1989.
"Long-run Income and Interest Elasticities of Money Demand in the United States,"
NBER Working Papers
2949, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hoffman, Dennis L & Rasche, Robert H, 1991. "Long-Run Income and Interest Elasticities of Money Demand in the United States," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 73(4), pages 665-74, November.
- Hafer, R.W. & Jansen, D.W., 1990.
"The Demand For Money In The United States: Evidence From Cointegration Tests,"
9010, Erasmus University of Rotterdam - Institute for Economic Research.
- Hafer, R W & Jansen, Dennis W, 1991. "The Demand for Money in the United States: Evidence from Cointegration Tests," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 23(2), pages 155-68, May.
- McNown, Robert & Wallace, Myles S., 1992. "Cointegration tests of a long-run relation between money demand and the effective exchange rate," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 11(1), pages 107-114, February.
- Bahmani-Oskooee, Mohsen, 1996. "The black market exchange rate and demand for money in Iran," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 171-176.
- Mohsen Bahmani-Oskooee & Hafez Rehman, 2005. "Stability of the money demand function in Asian developing countries," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 37(7), pages 773-792.
- M. Hashem Pesaran & Yongcheol Shin & Richard J. Smith, 2001. "Bounds testing approaches to the analysis of level relationships," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 16(3), pages 289-326.
- Abdur Chowdhury, 1997. "The financial structure and the demand for money in Thailand," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 29(3), pages 401-409.
- Bahmani-Oskooee, Mohsen & Shabsigh, Ghiath, 1996. "The demand for money in Japan: Evidence from cointegration analysis," Japan and the World Economy, Elsevier, vol. 8(1), pages 1-10, March.
- Johansen, S., 1991.
"Testing Weak Exogeneity and the Order of Cointegration in UK Money Demand Data,"
78, Helsinki - Department of Economics.
- Johansen, Soren, 1992. "Testing weak exogeneity and the order of cointegration in UK money demand data," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 14(3), pages 313-334, June.
- Hamid Tabesh, 2000. "Demand for Money and the Black Market Exchange Rate Expectations: Further Empirical Evidence," The Journal of Economics, Missouri Valley Economic Association, vol. 26(2), pages 1-9.
- Mohsen Bahmani-Oskooee & Taggert Brooks, 2003. "A new criteria for selecting the optimum lags in Johansen's cointegration technique," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 35(8), pages 875-880.
- Muscatelli, Vito Antonio & Papi, Luca, 1990. "Cointegration, Financial Innovation and Modelling the Demand for Money in Italy," The Manchester School of Economic & Social Studies, University of Manchester, vol. 58(3), pages 242-59, September.
- Mohsen Bahmani-Oskooee & Miquel-Angel Galindo Martin & Farhang Niroomand, 1998. "Exchange rate sensitivity of the demand for money in Spain," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 30(5), pages 607-612.
- Arango, Sebastian & Ishaq Nadiri, M., 1981. "Demand for money in open economies," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 7(1), pages 69-83.
- Johansen, Soren, 1988. "Statistical analysis of cointegration vectors," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 12(2-3), pages 231-254.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:8224. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.