Environmental awareness of nations: the interplay with institutional transformation
The paper aims to investigate the main factors responsible for the acquisition of environmental awareness by societies. We apply the institutional analysis approach that puts in evidence the factors shaping formal and informal rules and their role in the acquisition of environmental concern. The analysis demonstrates how enforcement and flexibility of formal rules and purposeful formation of informal rules may contribute to create a favourable framework for the acquisition of environmental awareness. In particular, rule of law stringency is shown to be positively related to environmental concern of the countries. We, therefore, put forward a generic scheme of the interplay between institutional change and environmental awareness, where a double causality relationship always holds. The analysis may serve as a starting point to understand the origins of the acquisition of environmental awareness over the globe and can be used for an empirical analysis based on the debate on world environmental renascence.
|Date of creation:||30 Jul 2015|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Fei Yu, 2012. "Participation Of Firms In Voluntary Environmental Protection Programs: An Analysis Of Corporate Social Responsibility And Capital Market Performance," Contemporary Economic Policy, Western Economic Association International, vol. 30(1), pages 13-28, 01.
- Jérôme Pelenc & Minkieba Kevin Lompo & Jérôme Ballet & Jean-Luc Dubois, 2013.
"Sustainable Human Development and the Capability Approach: Integrating Environment, Responsibility and Collective Agency,"
Journal of Human Development and Capabilities,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 14(1), pages 77-94, February.
- Jérôme Pelenc & M.K. Lompo & Jérôme J. Ballet & J.-L. Dubois, 2013. "Sustainable Human Development and the Capability Approach: Integrating Environment, Responsibility and Collective Agency," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/218339, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Jérôme Pelenc & Kevin Lompo & Jérôme J. Ballet & Jean-Luc Dubois, 2014. "Sustainable Human Development and the Capability Approach: Integrating Environment, Responsibility and Collective Agency," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/218346, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Beck, Thorsten & Demirguc-Kunt, Asli & Levine, Ross, 2003. "Law, endowments, and finance," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 70(2), pages 137-181, November.
- Thorsten Beck & Asli Demirguc-Kunt & Ross Levine, 2002. "Law, Endowment, and Finance," NBER Working Papers 9089, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Yakita, Akira & Yamauchi, Hisayuki, 2011. "Environmental awareness and environmental R&D spillovers in differentiated duopoly," Research in Economics, Elsevier, vol. 65(3), pages 137-143, September.
- Baek, Jungho & Cho, Yongsung & Koo, Won W., 2009. "The environmental consequences of globalization: A country-specific time-series analysis," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 68(8-9), pages 2255-2264, June.
- Baek, Jungho & Cho, Yongsung & Koo, Won W., 2008. "The Environmental Consequences of Globalization: A Country-Specific Time Series Analysis," Agribusiness & Applied Economics Report 37342, North Dakota State University, Department of Agribusiness and Applied Economics.
- Baek, Jungho & Cho, Yongsung & Koo, Won W., 2008. "The Environmental Consequences of Globalization: A Country-Specific Time-Series Analysis," 2008 Annual Meeting, July 27-29, 2008, Orlando, Florida 6510, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Paul Ekins & Philip Summerton & Chris Thoung & Daniel Lee, 2011. "A Major Environmental Tax Reform for the UK: Results for the Economy, Employment and the Environment," Environmental & Resource Economics, Springer;European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 50(3), pages 447-474, November.
- David Selby & Paula Jones & Fumiyo Kagawa, 2009. "Sustainability Promotion and Branding: Messaging Challenges and Possibilities for Higher Education Institutions," Sustainability, MDPI, Open Access Journal, vol. 1(3), pages 1-19, August.
- Martin Gassebner & Michael J. Lamla & Jan-Egbert Sturm, 2011. "Determinants of pollution: what do we really know?," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 63(3), pages 568-595, July.
- Concetta Castiglione & Davide Infante & Janna Smirnova, 2014. "Is There Any Evidence on the Existence of an Environmental Taxation Kuznets Curve? The Case of European Countries under Their Rule of Law Enforcement," Sustainability, MDPI, Open Access Journal, vol. 6(10), pages 1-21, October.
- Daron Acemoglu & Simon Johnson & James A. Robinson, 2001. "The Colonial Origins of Comparative Development: An Empirical Investigation," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 91(5), pages 1369-1401, December.
- Daron Acemoglu & Simon Johnson & James A. Robinson, 2000. "The Colonial Origins of Comparative Development: An Empirical Investigation," NBER Working Papers 7771, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Weisbuch, Gerard, 2000. "Environment and institutions: a complex dynamical systems approach," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 35(3), pages 381-391, December.
- Song, Ma-Lin & Zhang, Lin-Ling & Liu, Wei & Fisher, Ron, 2013. "Bootstrap-DEA analysis of BRICS’ energy efficiency based on small sample data," Applied Energy, Elsevier, vol. 112(C), pages 1049-1055.
- Sarah L. Stafford, 2011. "How Green Is Your Campus? An Analysis Of The Factors That Drive Universities To Embrace Sustainability," Contemporary Economic Policy, Western Economic Association International, vol. 29(3), pages 337-356, 07.
- Susmita Dasgupta & Ashoka Mody & Subhendu Roy & David Wheeler, 2001. "Environmental Regulation and Development: A Cross-country Empirical Analysis," Oxford Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 29(2), pages 173-187.
- Mody, Ashoka & Roy, Subhendu & Wheeler, David & Dasgupta, Susmita, 1995. "Environmental regulation and development : a cross-country empirical analysis," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1448, The World Bank.
- Bhattarai, Madhusudan & Hammig, Michael, 2004. "Governance, economic policy, and the environmental Kuznets curve for natural tropical forests," Environment and Development Economics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 9(03), pages 367-382, July.
- Dinda, Soumyananda, 2004. "Environmental Kuznets Curve Hypothesis: A Survey," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 49(4), pages 431-455, August.
- Gradstein, Mark, 2004. "Governance and growth," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 73(2), pages 505-518, April.
- Concetta Castiglione & Davide Infante & Maria Teresa Minervini & Janna Smirnova, 2014. "Environmental taxation in Europe: What does it depend on?," Cogent Economics & Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 2(1), pages 1-8, December. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:65857. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.