Supermarket Interventions and Diet in areas of Limited Retail Access: Policy Suggestions from the Seacroft Intervention Study
Download full text from publisher
References listed on IDEAS
- Dave Weatherspoon & James Oehmke & Assa DembÃ©lÃ© & Marcus Coleman & Thasanee Satimanon & Lorraine Weatherspoon, 2013. "Price and Expenditure Elasticities for Fresh Fruits in an Urban Food Desert," Urban Studies, Urban Studies Journal Limited, vol. 50(1), pages 88-106, January.
- Betsy Donald, 2013. "Food retail and access after the crash: rethinking the food desert problem," Journal of Economic Geography, Oxford University Press, vol. 13(2), pages 231-237, March.
- Aggarwal, A. & Cook, A.J. & Jiao, J. & Seguin, R.A. & Moudon, A.V. & Hurvitz, P.M. & Drewnowski, A., 2014. "Access to supermarkets and fruit and vegetable consumption," American Journal of Public Health, American Public Health Association, vol. 104(5), pages 917-923.
- Neil Wrigley & Daniel Warm & Barrie Margetts, 2003. "Deprivation, Diet, and Food-Retail Access: Findings from the Leeds â€˜Food Deserts' Study," Environment and Planning A, , vol. 35(1), pages 151-188, January.
- Richard Volpe & Abigail Okrent & Ephraim Leibtag, 2013. "The Effect of Supercenter-format Stores on the Healthfulness of Consumers' Grocery Purchases," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 95(3), pages 568-589.
- Liu, Jing & Shively, Gerald E. & Binkley, James K., 2014. "Access to variety contributes to dietary diversity in China," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 49(P1), pages 323-331.
- Neil Wrigley & Cliff Guy & Michelle Lowe, 2002. "Urban Regeneration, Social Inclusion and Large Store Development: The Seacroft Development in Context," Urban Studies, Urban Studies Journal Limited, vol. 39(11), pages 2101-2114, October.
- Len Gill & Simon Rudkin, 2014. "Deconstructing Supermarket Intervention Effects on Fruit and Vegetable Consumption in Areas of Limited Retail Access: Evidence from the Seacroft Study," Environment and Planning A, , vol. 46(3), pages 649-665, March.
- Ian Clarke & Malcolm Kirkup & Harmen Oppewal, 2012. "Consumer Satisfaction with Local Retail Diversity in the UK: Effects of Supermarket Access, Brand Variety, and Social Deprivation," Environment and Planning A, , vol. 44(8), pages 1896-1911, August.
- Rusmevichientong, Pimbucha & Streletskaya, Nadia A. & Amatyakul, Wansopin & Kaiser, Harry M., 2014. "The impact of food advertisements on changing eating behaviors: An experimental study," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 44(C), pages 59-67.
- Corinna Hawkes, 2008. "Dietary Implications of Supermarket Development: A Global Perspective," Development Policy Review, Overseas Development Institute, vol. 26(6), pages 657-692, November.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Taiyang Zhong & Zhenzhong Si & Jonathan Crush & Steffanie Scott & Xianjin Huang, 2019. "Achieving urban food security through a hybrid public-private food provisioning system: the case of Nanjing, China," Food Security: The Science, Sociology and Economics of Food Production and Access to Food, Springer;The International Society for Plant Pathology, vol. 11(5), pages 1071-1086, October.
Most related itemsThese are the items that most often cite the same works as this one and are cited by the same works as this one.
- Freire, Tiago & Rudkin, Simon, 2019. "Healthy food diversity and supermarket interventions: Evidence from the Seacroft Intervention Study," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 83(C), pages 125-138.
- Xiaowei Cai & Richard Volpe & Christiane Schroeter & Lisa Mancino, 2018. "Food retail market structure and produce purchases in the United States," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 34(4), pages 756-770, October.
- Cummins, Steven & Findlay, Anne & Petticrew, Mark & Sparks, Leigh, 2008. "Retail-led regeneration and store-switching behaviour," Journal of Retailing and Consumer Services, Elsevier, vol. 15(4), pages 288-295.
- Cam Hebda & Jeffrey Wagner, 2016. "Nudging healthy food consumption and sustainability in food deserts," Letters in Spatial and Resource Sciences, Springer, vol. 9(1), pages 57-71, March.
- Rudkin, Simon, 2015. "Deconstructing Supermarket Interventions as a Mechanism for Improving Diet: Lessons from the Seacroft Intervention Study," MPRA Paper 64994, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Matthew Freedman & Annemarie Kuhns, 2018.
"Supply-side subsidies to improve food access and dietary outcomes: Evidence from the New Markets Tax Credit,"
Urban Studies, Urban Studies Journal Limited, vol. 55(14), pages 3234-3251, November.
- Matthew Freedman & Annemarie Kuhns, 2017. "Supply-Side Subsidies to Improve Food Access and Dietary Outcomes: Evidence from the New Markets Tax Credit," Working Papers 171804, University of California-Irvine, Department of Economics.
- Laura Wolf-Powers, 2017. "Food Deserts and Real-Estate-Led Social Policy," International Journal of Urban and Regional Research, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 41(3), pages 414-425, May.
- Rischke, Ramona & Kimenju, Simon C. & Klasen, Stephan & Qaim, Matin, 2015. "Supermarkets and food consumption patterns: The case of small towns in Kenya," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 52(C), pages 9-21.
- Steele, Marie E. & Weatherspoon, Dave D., 2017. "A Theoretical Approach to Supermarket Chain Investment in Urban Food Deserts," 2017 Annual Meeting, July 30-August 1, Chicago, Illinois 258202, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Wang, Yingli & Touboulic, Anne & O'Neill, Martin, 2018. "An exploration of solutions for improving access to affordable fresh food with disadvantaged Welsh communities," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 268(3), pages 1021-1039.
- Andrews, Margaret S. & Bhatta, Rhea & Ver Ploeg, Michele, 2012. "Did the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act Increase in SNAP Benefits Reduce the Impact of Food Deserts?," 2012 AAEA/EAAE Food Environment Symposium 123520, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Gómez, Miguel I. & Ricketts, Katie D., 2013. "Food value chain transformations in developing countries: Selected hypotheses on nutritional implications," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 42(C), pages 139-150.
- Giuntella, Osea & Rieger, Matthias & Rotunno, Lorenzo, 2020.
"Weight gains from trade in foods: Evidence from Mexico,"
Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 122(C).
- Osea Giuntella, 2017. "Weight gains from trade in foods: Evidence from Mexico," Working Paper 6265, Department of Economics, University of Pittsburgh.
- Osea Giuntella & Matthias Rieger & Lorenzo Rotunno, 2020. "Weight gains from trade in foods: Evidence from Mexico," Post-Print hal-02499475, HAL.
- Giuntella, Osea & Rieger, Matthias & Rotunno, Lorenzo, 2019. "Weight Gains from Trade in Foods: Evidence from Mexico," IZA Discussion Papers 12677, Institute of Labor Economics (IZA).
- Osea Giuntella & Matthias Rieger & Lorenzo Rotunno, 2018. "Weight gains from trade in foods: Evidence from Mexico," NBER Working Papers 24942, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Steven Deller & Amber Canto & Laura Brown, 2015. "Rural poverty, health and food access," Regional Science Policy & Practice, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 7(2), pages 61-74, June.
- Charles Courtemanche & Augustine Denteh & Rusty Tchernis, 2019.
"Estimating the Associations between SNAP and Food Insecurity, Obesity, and Food Purchases with Imperfect Administrative Measures of Participation,"
Southern Economic Journal, John Wiley & Sons, vol. 86(1), pages 202-228, July.
- Charles J. Courtemanche & Augustine Denteh & Rusty Tchernis, 2018. "Estimating the Associations between SNAP and Food Insecurity, Obesity, and Food Purchases with Imperfect Administrative Measures of Participation," NBER Working Papers 24412, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Charles Courtemanche & Augustine Denteh & Rusty Tchernis, 2018. "Estimating the Associations between SNAP and Food Insecurity, Obesity, and Food Purchases with Imperfect Administrative Measures of Participation," Working Papers 2018-018, Human Capital and Economic Opportunity Working Group.
- Courtemanche, Charles & Denteh, Augustine & Tchernis, Rusty, 2018. "Estimating the Associations between SNAP and Food Insecurity, Obesity, and Food Purchases with Imperfect Administrative Measures of Participation," IZA Discussion Papers 11412, Institute of Labor Economics (IZA).
- John Gibson & Steven Tucker & Geua Boe-Gibson, 2019.
"Testing an Information Intervention: Experimental Evidence on the Effect of Jamie Oliver on Fizzy Drinks Demand,"
Working Papers in Economics
19/08, University of Waikato.
- Gibson, John & Tucker, Steven & Boe-Gibson, Geua, 2019. "Testing an Information Intervention: Experimental Evidence on the Effect of Jamie Oliver on Fizzy Drinks Demand," MPRA Paper 94182, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Stafford, Mai & Cummins, Steven & Ellaway, Anne & Sacker, Amanda & Wiggins, Richard D. & Macintyre, Sally, 2007. "Pathways to obesity: Identifying local, modifiable determinants of physical activity and diet," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 65(9), pages 1882-1897, November.
- Kathryn Teigen De Master & Jess Daniels, 2019. "Desert wonderings: reimagining food access mapping," Agriculture and Human Values, Springer;The Agriculture, Food, & Human Values Society (AFHVS), vol. 36(2), pages 241-256, June.
- Huang, Yingying & Tian, Xu, 2019. "Food accessibility, diversity of agricultural production and dietary pattern in rural China," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 84(C), pages 92-102.
- Priyanka Parvathi, 2018. "Does mixed crop‐livestock farming lead to less diversified diets among smallholders? Evidence from Laos," Agricultural Economics, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 49(4), pages 497-509, July.
More about this item
KeywordsFood desert intervention; diet; healthy eating; supermarkets;
- I14 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Health - - - Health and Inequality
- I18 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Health - - - Government Policy; Regulation; Public Health
NEP fieldsThis paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-AGR-2015-03-13 (Agricultural Economics)
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:62434. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter). General contact details of provider: http://edirc.repec.org/data/vfmunde.html .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.