The Illiquidity of Water Markets
We explore a particular historical episode that switched from a market institution (auctions) to a non-market institution (fixed quotas with a ban on trading) to allocate water. This water is used by farmers for agricultural purposes; some of the farmers are liquidity constraints. We present a model in which farmers face liquidity constraints to explain why the change took place. From a positive perspective, we show that demand is underestimated if these liquidity constraints are not taken into account. We use a dynamic discrete choice model to estimate demand during the auction period; we also estimate the probability of being liquidity constrained by a farmer. From a normative perspective, auctions achieve the first-best allocation only in the absence of liquidity constraints; the quota achieves the first best allocation only if farmers are homogeneous in productivity. We compute the welfare under both institutions using the estimated parameters of the structural model.
|Date of creation:||Feb 2014|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Victor Aguirregabiria & Victor Aguirregabiria & Aviv Nevo & Aviv Nevo, 2010.
"Recent Developments in Empirical IO: Dynamic Demand and Dynamic Games,"
tecipa-419, University of Toronto, Department of Economics.
- Aguirregabiria, Victor & Nevo, Aviv, 2010. "Recent developments in empirical IO: dynamic demand and dynamic games," MPRA Paper 27814, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Donna, Javier & Espin-Sanchez, Jose, 2014. "Complements and Substitutes in Sequential Auctions: The Case of Water Auctions," MPRA Paper 55079, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Christopher Udry, 1994. "Risk and Insurance in a Rural Credit Market: An Empirical Investigation in Northern Nigeria," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 61(3), pages 495-526.
- C, Boizot & Jean-Marc Robin & Michael Visser, 1997.
"The Demand for Food Products : An Analysis of Interpurchase Times and Purchased Quantities,"
97-48, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- Boizot, Christine & Robin, Jean-Marc & Visser, Michael, 2001. "The Demand for Food Products: An Analysis of Interpurchase Times and Purchased Quantities," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 111(470), pages 391-419, April.
- Christine Boizot & Jean-Marc Robin & Michael Visser, 2001. "The Demand for Food Products: An Analysis of Interpurchase Times and Purchased Quantities," Post-Print hal-00357760, HAL.
- R. Quentin Grafton & Gary Libecap & Samuel McGlennon & Clay Landry & Bob O'Brien, 2011. "An Integrated Assessment of Water Markets: A Cross-Country Comparison," Review of Environmental Economics and Policy, Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 5(2), pages 219-239, Summer.
- Seema Jayachandran, 2013. "Liquidity Constraints and Deforestation: The Limitations of Payments for Ecosystem Services," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 103(3), pages 309-13, May.
- Hotz, J.V. & Miller, R.A. & Sanders, S. & Smith, J., 1992.
"A Simulation Estimator for Dynamic Models of Discrete Choice,"
GSIA Working Papers
1992-13, Carnegie Mellon University, Tepper School of Business.
- V. Joseph Hotz & Robert A. Miller & Seth Sanders & Jeffrey Smith, 1994. "A Simulation Estimator for Dynamic Models of Discrete Choice," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 61(2), pages 265-289.
- V. Joseph Hotz & Robert A. Miller & Seth Sanders & Jeffrey Smith, 1992. "A Simulation Estimator for Dynamic Models of Discrete Choice," Working Papers 9205, Harris School of Public Policy Studies, University of Chicago.
- Samuel Garrido, 2010. "Governing scarcity. Water markets, equity and efficiency in pre-1950s eastern Spain," Documentos de Trabajo de la Sociedad Española de Historia Agraria 1012, Sociedad Española de Historia Agraria.
- Guinnane, Timothy W., 2001.
"Cooperatives As Information Machines: German Rural Credit Cooperatives, 1883 1914,"
The Journal of Economic History,
Cambridge University Press, vol. 61(02), pages 366-389, June.
- Timothy W. Guinnane, 1997. "Cooperatives as Information Machines: German Rural Credit Cooperatives, 1883-1914," Discussion Papers 97-20, University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics.
- Rui Albuquerque & Hugo A. Hopenhayn, 2004. "Optimal Lending Contracts and Firm Dynamics," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 71(2), pages 285-315.
- V. Joseph Hotz & Robert A. Miller, 1993. "Conditional Choice Probabilities and the Estimation of Dynamic Models," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 60(3), pages 497-529.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:55078. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.