Optimal Output for the Regret-Averse Competitive Firm Under Price Uncertainty
We study the optimal production of a competitive risk-averse firm under price uncertainty. We suppose that the firm is also regret-averse. For example, if market prices ex post turn out to be very high the firm might regret not producing more. If it turns out that the price is low the firm might regret an over-production. We find that optimal output under regret aversion might be higher than under risk aversion. We also prove that optimal production could increase or decrease when the regret-averse coefficient increases. In general, we show that the regret-avers firm tend to hedge their bets, taking into account the possibility that their decisions may turn out to be ex post not optimal. These predictions can help explain the fact the price uncertainty has not such an extreme impact than those would be derived from pure risk-averse preferences.
|Date of creation:||25 Nov 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Paroush, Jacob & Venezia, Itzhak, 1979. "On the theory of the competitive firm with a utility function defined on profits and regret," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 12(3), pages 193-202, July.
- Michenaud, Sébastien & Solnik, Bruno, 2008. "Applying regret theory to investment choices: Currency hedging decisions," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 27(5), pages 677-694, September.
- Sugden Robert, 1993. "An Axiomatic Foundation for Regret Theory," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 60(1), pages 159-180, June.
- Loomes, Graham & Sugden, Robert, 1982. "Regret Theory: An Alternative Theory of Rational Choice under Uncertainty," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 92(368), pages 805-24, December.
- Daniel Krähmer & Rebecca Stone, 2013. "Anticipated regret as an explanation of uncertainty aversion," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 52(2), pages 709-728, March.
- Michael Braun & Alexander Muermann, 2004. "The Impact of Regret on the Demand for Insurance," Journal of Risk & Insurance, The American Risk and Insurance Association, vol. 71(4), pages 737-767.
- Richard Engelbrecht-Wiggans & Elena Katok, 2007. "Regret in auctions: theory and evidence," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 33(1), pages 81-101, October.
- Carlos Laciana & Elke Weber, 2008. "Correcting expected utility for comparisons between alternative outcomes: A unified parameterization of regret and disappointment," Journal of Risk and Uncertainty, Springer, vol. 36(1), pages 1-17, February.
- Quiggin, John, 1994. "Regret Theory with General Choice Sets," Journal of Risk and Uncertainty, Springer, vol. 8(2), pages 153-65, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:51703. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.