Defining and measuring decentralisation: a critical review
This paper presents a conceptual analysis of terms belonging to the semantic field of state restructuring. The analysis aims to critically reviewing different terms focusing the attention both to the definitional and to the measurement sides. Different “types of decentralisation” are separately presented before reviewing a generalised approach aiming both at conceptualising and operationalising “regional authority” inside the internal structure of the state. In the final part the discourse is further generalised in order to take into account also external actors linking the analysis with the analytical framework of globalisation. The analysis confirms the persistence of a strong potential for confusion generating from the multitude of meanings attached to the term “decentralisation” and its related terms. However, having assembled terms together contributes to clarify and to interpret them more critically and in a more focused way. Moreover, the attention paid to the measurement side of the issue contributes also critically to interpret empirical analyses already realised in literature and, in perspective, could be a promising starting point for more focused future research.
|Date of creation:||2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jorge Martinez-Vazquez & Andrey Timofeev, 2008.
"A fiscal perspective of state rescaling,"
Cambridge Journal of Regions, Economy and Society,
Cambridge Political Economy Society, vol. 2(1), pages 85-105.
- Jorge Martinez-Vazquez & Andrey Timofeev, 2008. "Fiscal Perspective of State Rescaling," International Center for Public Policy Working Paper Series, at AYSPS, GSU paper0806, International Center for Public Policy, Andrew Young School of Policy Studies, Georgia State University.
- Lorenz Blume & Stefan Voigt, 2011.
"Federalism and decentralization—a critical survey of frequently used indicators,"
Constitutional Political Economy,
Springer, vol. 22(3), pages 238-264, September.
- Lorenz Blume & Stefan Voigt, 2008. "Federalism and Decentralization – A Critical Survey of Frequently Used Indicators," MAGKS Papers on Economics 200821, Philipps-Universität Marburg, Faculty of Business Administration and Economics, Department of Economics (Volkswirtschaftliche Abteilung).
- Pavlos Karanikolas & Sophia Hatzipanteli, 2008. "The Decentralization Process of Rural Development Policy in Greece," European Planning Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 18(3), pages 411-434, December.
- Martin Jones & Mark Goodwin & Rhys Jones, 2005. "State modernization, devolution and economic governance: An introduction and guide to debate," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 39(4), pages 397-403.
- Fox, Jonathan A & Aranda, Josefina, 1996. "Decentralization and Rural Development in Mexico: Community Participation in Oaxaca's Municipal Funds Program," Center for Global, International and Regional Studies, Working Paper Series qt5jk3b9gt, Center for Global, International and Regional Studies, UC Santa Cruz.
- Massimo Bordignon & Paolo Manasse & Guido Tabellini, .
"Optimal Regional Redistribution Under Asymmetric Information,"
93, IGIER (Innocenzo Gasparini Institute for Economic Research), Bocconi University.
- Massimo Bordignon & Paolo Manasse & Guido Tabellini, 2001. "Optimal Regional Redistribution under Asymmetric Information," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 91(3), pages 709-723, June.
- Bordignon, Massimo & Manasse, Paolo & Tabellini, Guido, 1996. "Optimal Regional Redistribution Under Asymmetric Information," CEPR Discussion Papers 1437, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Brenner, Neil, 2004. "New State Spaces: Urban Governance and the Rescaling of Statehood," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780199270064, March.
- Lorenzo Boetti & Massimiliano Piacenza & Gilberto Turati, 2010.
"Decentralization and Local Governments’ Performance: How Does Fiscal Autonomy Affect Spending Efficiency?,"
11, Former Department of Economics and Public Finance "G. Prato", University of Torino.
- Lorenzo Boetti & Massimiliano Piacenza & Gilberto Turati, 2012. "Decentralization and Local Governments' Performance: How Does Fiscal Autonomy Affect Spending Efficiency?," FinanzArchiv: Public Finance Analysis, Mohr Siebeck, Tübingen, vol. 68(3), pages 269-302, September.
- J. Kornai & E. Maskin & G. Roland., 2004.
"Understanding the Soft Budget Constraint,"
N.P. Redaktsiya zhurnala "Voprosy Economiki", vol. 12.
- J. Kornai & E. Maskin & G. Roland., 2004. "Understanding the Soft Budget Constraint," VOPROSY ECONOMIKI, N.P. Redaktsiya zhurnala "Voprosy Economiki", vol. 11.
- J�nos Kornai & Eric Maskin & G�rard Roland, 2003. "Understanding the Soft Budget Constraint," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 41(4), pages 1095-1136, December.
- Andres Rodriguez-Pose & Nicholas Gill, 2005. "On the 'economic dividend' of devolution," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 39(4), pages 405-420.
- Kornai, J, 1979. "Resource-Constrained versus Demand-Constrained Systems," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 47(4), pages 801-19, July.
- Lockwood, Ben, 1997.
9703, Exeter University, Department of Economics.
- Ebel, Robert D. & Yilmaz, Serdar, 2002. "On the measurement and impact of fiscal decentralization," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2809, The World Bank.
- Charles M. Tiebout, 1956. "A Pure Theory of Local Expenditures," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 64, pages 416.
- Robin W. Boadway & Frank R. Flatters, 1982. "Efficiency and Equalization Payments in a Federal System of Government: A Synthesis and Extension of Recent Results," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 15(4), pages 613-33, November.
- Gourevitch, Peter, 1978. "The second image reversed: the international sources of domestic politics," International Organization, Cambridge University Press, vol. 32(04), pages 881-912, September.
- Bernd Huber & Christian Baretti & Karl Lichtblau, 2000. "A Tax on Tax Revenue. The Incentive Effects of Equalizing Transfers: Evidence from Germany," CESifo Working Paper Series 333, CESifo Group Munich.
- Breton, Albert & Wintrobe, Ronald, 1975. "The Equilibrium Size of a Budget-maximizing Bureau: A Note on Niskanen's Theory of Bureaucracy," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 83(1), pages 195-207, February.
- Michael Keen, 1997. "Vertical Tax Externalities in the Theory of Fiscal Federalism," IMF Working Papers 97/173, International Monetary Fund.
- Andr�s Rodr�guez-Pose & Nicholas Gill, 2004. "Is there a global link between regional disparities and devolution?," Environment and Planning A, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 36(12), pages 2097-2117, December.
- Vander Lucas, 2002. "Fiscal federalism and bargaining over transfers," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 28(13), pages A0.
- Caplan, Arthur J. & Cornes, Richard C. & Silva, Emilson C. D., 2000. "Pure public goods and income redistribution in a federation with decentralized leadership and imperfect labor mobility," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 77(2), pages 265-284, August.
- Bossert, Thomas, 1998. "Analyzing the decentralization of health systems in developing countries: decision space, innovation and performance," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 47(10), pages 1513-1527, November.
- Wallace E. Oates, 2007.
"On the Theory and Practise of Fiscal Decentralization,"
0701, CREI Università degli Studi Roma Tre, revised Jan 2007.
- Wallace E. Oates, 2006. "On the Theory and Practice of Fiscal Decentralization," Working Papers 2006-05, University of Kentucky, Institute for Federalism and Intergovernmental Relations.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:51441. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.